* Exams with Org?
@ 2013-12-06 19:23 Roger Mason
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Roger Mason @ 2013-12-06 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hello,

Has anyone used Org to create exams?  It would be useful to have the
value per question totalled to provide the total per section etc and to
be able to embed the answers in the exam and expose them in the final
document using some kind of conditional processing.

If anyone has done this kind of thing I'd be interested to see an
example file.

Thanks,
Roger

* Re: Exams with Org?
@ 2013-12-06 21:41 ` Suvayu Ali
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-12-06 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 03:53:45PM -0330, Roger Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone used Org to create exams?  It would be useful to have the value
> per question totalled to provide the total per section etc and to be able to

You could try to "reuse" the effort property; or a new property of your
choosing with some custom lisp source blocks.

> embed the answers in the exam and expose them in the final document using
> some kind of conditional processing.

EXCLUDE_TAGS should help you there.  Tag your answers, say with "ans",
and put it in EXCLUDE_TAGS; and later remove it from EXCLUDE_TAGS.

> If anyone has done this kind of thing I'd be interested to see an example
> file.

I believe there was someone who started a thread like this; try within
the last 2-3 months.

If you find a solution, please let us know.  A Worg article would be
even better!

GL,

--
Suvayu

* Re: Exams with Org?
@ 2013-12-06 22:26 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2013-12-06 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason; +Cc: org-mode

you find this along the lines you are thinking about:

http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2013/10/23/Writing-exams-in-org-mode/

I have not advanced the idea past this, and it doesn't do everything you
mentioned. I had in mind to generate a grading table at the end.

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone used Org to create exams?  It would be useful to have the value
> per question totalled to provide the total per section etc and to be able
> to embed the answers in the exam and expose them in the final document
> using some kind of conditional processing.
>
> If anyone has done this kind of thing I'd be interested to see an example
> file.
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

* Re: Exams with Org?
@ 2013-12-07  2:21 Marvin Doyley
From: Marvin Doyley @ 2013-12-07  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

I have been using the latex exam.cls and org-latex-classes. Just us add the following to your .emacs file (for more details see http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/74512)

(add-to-list 'org-latex-classes
    '("Prob"
"\\documentclass[t]{exam}
[NO-DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
\\usepackage{hyperref}
\\usepackage{graphicx}
\\usepackage{color}
\\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}
\\usepackage{palatino}
\\usepackage[mathscr]{eucal}
\\usepackage[margin=1in]{geometry}     % PAGE LAYOUT
\\setlength{\\parskip}{-1ex}%
\\setlength{\\parskip}{0ex}%
\\setlength{\\itemsep}{0ex}%
\\pagestyle{headandfoot}
\\sloppy
\\extraheadheight{.5in}
\\runningheadrule
\\firstpageheadrule
\\firstpagefootrule
\\runningfootrule
\\lhead{}
\\chead{}
\\lfoot{}
\\cfoot{}
\\renewcommand\\thequestion{\\Roman{question}}
\\renewcommand\\thepartno{\\arabic{partno}}
“
("\\begin{questions}{%s}" "\\end{questions}")
))

Note that this assumes that you have installed the exam latex class on your system. Here is a simple test file

#+LaTeX_CLASS: Prob
#+TITLE:
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [12pt,letterpaper,answers]
#+DATE:
#+BIND: org-export-latex-title-command ""

*
** We can demodulate a DSB-SC signal by first multiplying the modulated signal will a locally generated carrier, and then applying a low pass filter to the resulting signal.
*** Verify in time-domain that this produce the message signal $m(t)$
*** Describe the demodulation process in frequency domain

I hope this help

Cheers,

* Re: Exams with Org?
@ 2013-12-07 22:00 ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2013-12-07 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason; +Cc: org-mode

rmason@mun.ca writes:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone used Org to create exams?  It would be useful to have the
> value per question totalled to provide the total per section etc and to
> be able to embed the answers in the exam and expose them in the final
> document using some kind of conditional processing.
>
> If anyone has done this kind of thing I'd be interested to see an
> example file.

I've done part of it (not the value of the questions, but including the
answers in the source). For an exam I gave last year on the OCaml
language, I put the solution for the code questions in the source, and
use it to generate the expected type of the function. (This way I could
also make sure I was not asking to code something too difficult.)

Here is part of the exam (sorry, it's in French, but it should give you
the general idea). I also include the beginning of the file since I've
found that more examples about how to set things up always helps.

There are two kinds of code blocks below: those with results "silent"
are just used to add some things to the session (OCaml works by default
with a session in org), those with results "verbatim" export the
result of evaluating of the source, which is what the toplevel answers
(i.e., the type).

# -*- org-confirm-babel-evaluate: nil -*-
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent :exports none
  (setq org-export-latex-minted-options
        '(("frame" "lines")
          ))
  (add-to-list
   'org-structure-template-alist
   '("Q" "#+BEGIN_question\n?\n#+END_question" "<question>\n?\n</question>"))
#+end_src
#+TITLE:     Programmation Fonctionnelle
#+DATE:      jeudi 6 juin 2013
#+Author:
#+LANGUAGE:  fr
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LATEX_CMD: xelatex
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{lastpage}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{tikz}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{minted}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usemintedstyle{emacs}

\newtheorem{question}{Question}

* Arbres binaires annotés

Les fonctions demandées dans les questions suivantes peuvent dépendre les unes
des autres. Vous pouvez toujours utiliser les fonctions que vous ne savez pas
définir.

** Définition du type

#+BEGIN_question
Définir un type polymorphe ~('a,'b) tree~ représentant un arbre annoté. Les
constructeurs de ce type seront l'arbre vide ~Emp~ contenant une annotation de type
~('a)~, une feuille ~Leaf~ contenant une annotation de type ~('a)~ et une valeur
de type ~('b)~, et un nœud ~Node~ contenant une annotation de type ~('a)~, un
sous-arbre gauche et un sous-arbre droit.
#+END_question

#+name: treetype
#+BEGIN_SRC ocaml :results silent :exports results
  type ('a,'b) tree =
    | Emp of 'a
    | Leaf of 'a * 'b
    | Node of 'a * ('a,'b) tree * ('a,'b) tree
#+END_SRC

Dans les questions suivantes, il faudra maintenir l'invariant suivant: un arbre
est soit vide (constructeur ~Emp~), soit il ne contient pas de sous-arbre vide
(tous les sous-arbres sont soit ~Leaf~ soit ~Node~).

#+BEGIN_question
Écrire une fonction ~tag~ prenant un arbre et renvoyant son annotation.
#+END_question

#+name: tag
#+BEGIN_SRC ocaml :results code verbatim :exports results
  let tag = function
    | Emp a -> a
    | Leaf (a,_) -> a
    | Node (a,_,_) -> a
#+END_SRC

Alan

* Re: Exams with Org?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-12-08 11:35 ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2013-12-08 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

On 12/06/2013 03:53 PM, Roger Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone used Org to create exams?  It would be useful to have the
> value per question totalled to provide the total per section etc and
> to be able to embed the answers in the exam and expose them in the
> final document using some kind of conditional processing.
>
> If anyone has done this kind of thing I'd be interested to see an
> example file.
>
> Thanks,
> Roger

Thanks Suvayu Ali, John Kitchin, Marvin Doyley and Alan Schmitt for your
suggestions, which I will try out.  I may not have time to implement a
complete solution for the upcoming exam (Wednesday morning), so I will
wait until the new year.  In the meantime, may I ask John if he is
willing to share an example file as a starting point?  I read through
the blog but my experience with org is too short for me to see how it
all works.

Thanks again,
Roger

* Re: Exams with Org?
@ 2013-12-08 20:55   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2013-12-08 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Mason; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

the org-source for all the posts are accessible by a link at the bottom of
the page. the one you want is
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/org/2013/10/23/Writing-exams-in-org-mode.org

John

-----------------------------------

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 6:35 AM, Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> On 12/06/2013 03:53 PM, Roger Mason wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Has anyone used Org to create exams?  It would be useful to have the
>> value per question totalled to provide the total per section etc and to be
>> able to embed the answers in the exam and expose them in the final document
>> using some kind of conditional processing.
>>
>> If anyone has done this kind of thing I'd be interested to see an example
>> file.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Roger
>>

> Thanks Suvayu Ali, John Kitchin, Marvin Doyley and Alan Schmitt for your
> suggestions, which I will try out.  I may not have time to implement a
> complete solution for the upcoming exam (Wednesday morning), so I will wait
> until the new year.  In the meantime, may I ask John if he is willing to
> share an example file as a starting point?  I read through the blog but my
> experience with org is too short for me to see how it all works.
>
> Thanks again,
> Roger

* Re: Exams with Org?
@ 2013-12-08 21:40     ` John Kitchin