* src-blocks with captions do not respect attr_latex :placement options
@ 2018-02-14 19:44 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2018-02-14 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

A block like this:

#+attr_latex: :placement [H]
#+caption: A test block
#+BEGIN_SRC ipython
'hello'
#+END_SRC

exports to latex as:

\begin{listing}[htbp]
\begin{minted}[frame=lines,fontsize=\scriptsize,linenos]{ipython}
'hello'
\end{minted}
\caption{A test block}
\end{listing}

The root of this is in  org-latex-src-block where (plist-get info
:latex-default-figure-position) is being used to specify the placement.

It seems like a sort of easy fix, but requires a couple of changes in the
function.

I think we could replace all instances of

(plist-get info :latex-default-figure-position)

with

(or (plist-get attributes :placement)
   (format "[%s]"
   (plist-get info :latex-default-figure-position)))

and also replace everything like:

\\begin{figure*}[%s]

with

\\begin{figure*}%s

I don't see a way around that unless :latex-default-figure-position is
changed from "htbp" to "[htbp]".

Thoughts?

John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: src-blocks with captions do not respect attr_latex :placement options
@ 2018-02-19 10:20 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-02-19 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hello,

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> A block like this:
>
> #+attr_latex: :placement [H]
>
> #+caption: A test block
> #+BEGIN_SRC ipython
>
> 'hello'
> #+END_SRC
>
> exports to latex as:
>
> \begin{listing}[htbp]
> \begin{minted}[frame=lines,fontsize=\scriptsize,linenos]{ipython}
> 'hello'
> \end{minted}
> \caption{A test block}
> \end{listing}
>
> The root of this is in  org-latex-src-block where (plist-get info
> :latex-default-figure-position) is being used to specify the
> placement.

True. LaTeX back-end doesn't handle :placement attribute in source blocks.

> It seems like a sort of easy fix, but requires a couple of changes in the
> function.
>
> I think we could replace all instances of
>
> (plist-get info :latex-default-figure-position)
>
> with
>
> (or (plist-get attributes :placement)
>    (format "[%s]"
>    (plist-get info :latex-default-figure-position)))

Why (format "[%s]" ...)?

> and also replace everything like:
>
> \\begin{figure*}[%s]
>
> with
>
> \\begin{figure*}%s
>
> I don't see a way around that unless :latex-default-figure-position is
> changed from "htbp" to "[htbp]".

I fail to see why this change is needed.

> Thoughts?

Do you want to propose a patch? The manual would need to be updated
accordingly.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: src-blocks with captions do not respect attr_latex :placement options
@ 2018-02-26  0:37   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2018-02-26  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: org-mode-email

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Hello,
>
> John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
>
>> A block like this:
>>
>> #+attr_latex: :placement [H]
>>
>> #+caption: A test block
>> #+BEGIN_SRC ipython
>>
>> 'hello'
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> exports to latex as:
>>
>> \begin{listing}[htbp]
>> \begin{minted}[frame=lines,fontsize=\scriptsize,linenos]{ipython}
>> 'hello'
>> \end{minted}
>> \caption{A test block}
>> \end{listing}
>>
>> The root of this is in  org-latex-src-block where (plist-get info
>> :latex-default-figure-position) is being used to specify the
>> placement.
>
> True. LaTeX back-end doesn't handle :placement attribute in source blocks.
>
>> It seems like a sort of easy fix, but requires a couple of changes in the
>> function.
>>
>> I think we could replace all instances of
>>
>> (plist-get info :latex-default-figure-position)
>>
>> with
>>
>> (or (plist-get attributes :placement)
>>    (format "[%s]"
>>    (plist-get info :latex-default-figure-position)))
>
> Why (format "[%s]" ...)?

That isn't changed from what is already in ox-latex, e.g. line 2367.

>> and also replace everything like:
>>
>> \\begin{figure*}[%s]
>>
>> with
>>
>> \\begin{figure*}%s
>>
>> I don't see a way around that unless :latex-default-figure-position is
>> changed from "htbp" to "[htbp]".
>
> I fail to see why this change is needed.

org-latex-default-figure-position is defined as "htbp"

where as :placement is usually defined as "[H]". One has brackets, and
one doesn't. This is reflected in ox-latex too.

For example in this code (line 3219. ox-latex.el)

(or (plist-get attr :placement)
	      (format "[%s]" (plist-get info
	      :latex-default-figure-position)))

it is implied that :latex-default-figure-position does not have
brackets, but that (plist-get attr :placement) does since it is later
used in line 3259 as:

(format "\\begin{%s}%s\n" float-env placement)

So, it seems like one either has to add [] to the default
org-latex-default-figure-position, or put them in the template, or
change how the :placement value is used. It doesn't seem like we can
have it both ways without testing if there are brackets or not. It also
doesn't seem right to modify org-latex-default-figure-position just to
get float listings to be "[H]" for src blocks.

>> Thoughts?
>
> Do you want to propose a patch? The manual would need to be updated
> accordingly.

Do you see another way to solve this?

--

@ 2018-02-26 10:23     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-02-26 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hello,

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> org-latex-default-figure-position is defined as "htbp"
>
> where as :placement is usually defined as "[H]". One has brackets, and
> one doesn't. This is reflected in ox-latex too.
>
> For example in this code (line 3219. ox-latex.el)
>
> (or (plist-get attr :placement)
> 	      (format "[%s]" (plist-get info
> 	      :latex-default-figure-position)))
>
> it is implied that :latex-default-figure-position does not have
> brackets, but that (plist-get attr :placement) does since it is later
> used in line 3259 as:
>
> (format "\\begin{%s}%s\n" float-env placement)
>
> So, it seems like one either has to add [] to the default
> org-latex-default-figure-position, or put them in the template, or
> change how the :placement value is used. It doesn't seem like we can
> have it both ways without testing if there are brackets or not. It also
> doesn't seem right to modify org-latex-default-figure-position just to
> get float listings to be "[H]" for src blocks.

OK. Note that Org provides `org-unbracket-string'.

Nicolas Goaziou