* org-agenda-filter-by-tag doco
@ 2021-11-28 10:27 Phil Hudson
From: Phil Hudson @ 2021-11-28 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to expand the docstring of command `org-agenda-filter-by-tag`
to document the Elisp equivalent of interactive prefix arguments. By
trial and error and guesswork I determined that I could emulate `C-u
C-u` by passing `'(16)` as the second argument
(`strip-or-accumulate`). I'd like to add text explaining this,
generalized to all prefix combinations.

I just thought I'd mention it on the list first, to get any thoughts
and advice that might be useful. For instance, currently there is a
paragraph for each prefix combination (`C-u`, `C-u C-u` and `C-u C-u
C-u`). Should I add Elisp calling doco to each, or should I expand the
subsequent paragraph that deals specifically with Elisp calling? I
tend to favor the latter as least confusing, but that might be a
matter of convention or opinion that others are better qualified to
comment on.

A further point: I already knew from prolonged usage that `C-u`
combinations evaluate numerically as powers of 4, but a newbie might
not. Should we explain this? I don't think it would be appropriate,
but again I'm open to advice. If not, should we at least link to the
explanation in the Elisp manual? I know we don't usually bother, but
since outcomes differ substantively in this case, maybe we should
here.

* Re: org-agenda-filter-by-tag doco
@ 2022-05-08 13:08 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-05-08 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phil Hudson <phil.hudson@iname.com> writes:

> I'd like to expand the docstring of command `org-agenda-filter-by-tag`
> to document the Elisp equivalent of interactive prefix arguments. By
> trial and error and guesswork I determined that I could emulate `C-u
> C-u` by passing `'(16)` as the second argument
> (`strip-or-accumulate`). I'd like to add text explaining this,
> generalized to all prefix combinations.

I do not think that it is a good idea. There is not much point
explaining basic Emacs concepts discussed in Emacs/Elisp manual in every
docstring of functions making use of universal arguments.

Note that C-u gets automatically highlighted when you view the function
docstring. Clicking on it brings you to the docstring for universal
argument, which, in turn, also contains a link to the manual page.

I think it is good enough.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: org-agenda-filter-by-tag doco
@ 2022-05-08 13:50   ` Phil Hudson
From: Phil Hudson @ 2022-05-08 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fair enough. I follow your reasoning and it seems sound. Please close.