* Re: Org, Diffs, and Version Control
@ 2011-10-19 15:02 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2011-10-19 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Dave Abrahams <dave <at> boostpro.com> wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering what other people do.
>
> I am using http://www.mayrhofer.eu.org/dvcs-autosync for
> automatically committing of changes but without activated XMPP sync
> feature (so far).
>
> The already mentioned «git diff --color-words» helps me a lot when
> examining my git history.
>
> --
> Karl Voit

dvcs-autosync is an interesting project
The OPs question IIUC is orthogonal to it.
The problem as I see it is that org mode docs are two things:
-- they are text mode data (when in emacs mode)
-- hierarchical data (when in org-specific mode)

Diff  unfortunately does not understand the hierarchical view.

I tried to see if xmldiff will run
And if it did then try pipe the output of org-docbook-export to it.

Unfortunately my attempts at getting xmldiff to run did not work

* Re: Org, Diffs, and Version Control
@ 2011-10-17  6:55 Rustom Mody
From: Rustom Mody @ 2011-10-17  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I wonder how much is involved in using the generic org parser (which one I
am not sure) to hook into ediff??

* Org, Diffs, and Version Control
@ 2011-10-16 14:25 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-16 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As I've been working on a fairly large Org outline over the past few
days, I've discovered that the format is very ill-suited to management
and review by (known) version control tools, like Git.  Indentation is
always changing and volatile information like tags and priorities
tends to mix with headlines, which makes diffs very hard to track.  This
is to say nothing of the fact that diff itself is a poor format for
understanding changes that simply reorganize parts of documents.

I was wondering what other people do.  I want to make sure I understand
the changes I'm making to my document and that I haven't unintentionally
wiped out a great deal of important material (all the more likely to
happen without me noticing because of Org's folding).

Hints most appreciated,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing