* Org-mode reinvented?
@ 2015-10-24  7:12 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-10-24  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I've just stumbled over this: https://gingkoapp.com/ .  From a cursory
glance it seems like a web-based, proprietary, simplified version of
Org-mode for non-geeks.  Not that I'm inclined to try it out - I've got
Org - but maybe someone would find it interesting/inspiring.

Disclosure: I am not related to the author or the company who produces
that app.  I'm just curious if anyone has seen this, and whether some
features might be an inspiration for e.g. new Org-mode features/modules.
For instance, they say in the "quick intro" that they have /templates/
for common things, like writing screenplays.  That /might/ (or might
not) be an interesting thing to implement in Org-mode.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Org-mode reinvented?
@ 2015-10-25 11:12 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-10-25 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Interesting. One day I imagine something like this, or sharelatex exists
for collaborating on org-files with people who don't like Emacs...

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: Org-mode reinvented?
@ 2015-10-25 15:55   ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2015-10-25 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-10-25 at 07:12, John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Interesting. One day I imagine something like this, or sharelatex
> exists for collaborating on org-files with people who don't like
> Emacs...

One can hope, but unfortunately it seems Markdown is the default implementation for people supporting a simple markup language.

  -k.

* Re: Org-mode reinvented?
@ 2015-10-25 18:16     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-10-25 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-10-25, at 16:55, Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2015-10-25 at 07:12, John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>> Interesting. One day I imagine something like this, or sharelatex
>> exists for collaborating on org-files with people who don't like
>> Emacs...
>
> One can hope, but unfortunately it seems Markdown is the default implementation for people supporting a simple markup language.

Yes.  Sometimes I wish Org-mode used Markdown by default.  Then, I start
to think "yes, fine, but /which/ Markdown?", and I feel better;-).

(The problem with Markdown seems to be that there is no "official"
version.  Also, if Org-mode were tied to some external standard, Org's
own development - like in "adding new features" - would become
problematic.)

>   -k.

Best,

--