* [babel] set post tangle hook on per file basis - evalu
@ 2011-08-08  8:12 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-08-08  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

for different files, I put different things in the post-tangle hook. At tha
moment, I have an emacs-lisp code block, which I evaluate before I tangle,
but I forget this sometimes - so y question: is it possible (and think to
remember that it is, but I can't find how) to evaluate a source code block
upon opening of the file, or set the org-babel-post-tangle-hook in a
different way upon opening of the org file?

The code block I am using at the moment is:

** Evaluate to run post tangle script
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent :tangle no :exports none
  (add-hook 'org-babel-post-tangle-hook
            (
             lambda ()
                    (call-process-shell-command "./postTangleScript.sh" nil
0 nil)
                    )
            )
#+end_src

Thanks,

Rainer

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: [babel] set post tangle hook on per file basis - evalu
@ 2011-08-09 12:33 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-08-09 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> for different files, I put different things in the post-tangle hook. At tha
> moment, I have an emacs-lisp code block, which I evaluate before I tangle,
> but I forget this sometimes - so y question: is it possible (and think to
> remember that it is, but I can't find how) to evaluate a source code block
> upon opening of the file, or set the org-babel-post-tangle-hook in a
> different way upon opening of the org file?
>
> The code block I am using at the moment is:
>
> ** Evaluate to run post tangle script
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent :tangle no :exports none
>   (add-hook 'org-babel-post-tangle-hook
>             (
>              lambda ()
>                     (call-process-shell-command "./postTangleScript.sh" nil
> 0 nil)
>                     )
>             )
> #+end_src

Hi Rainer,

I like to use file local variables [1] to do per-file Org-mode
configuration and customization this is an easy way to set the local
value of a variable every time the file is opened.

I think you could use file local variables to evaluate arbitrary elisp
when a file is opened in which case you could evaluate a named code
block with something like `(sbe code-block-name)'.

Best -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  [[info:emacs#Specifying%20File%20Variables][info:emacs#Specifying File Variables]]

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] set post tangle hook on per file basis - evalu
@ 2011-08-09 13:49   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-08-09 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > for different files, I put different things in the post-tangle hook. At
> tha
> > moment, I have an emacs-lisp code block, which I evaluate before I
> tangle,
> > but I forget this sometimes - so y question: is it possible (and think to
> > remember that it is, but I can't find how) to evaluate a source code
> block
> > upon opening of the file, or set the org-babel-post-tangle-hook in a
> > different way upon opening of the org file?
> >
> > The code block I am using at the moment is:
> >
> > ** Evaluate to run post tangle script
> > #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent :tangle no :exports none
> >   (add-hook 'org-babel-post-tangle-hook
> >             (
> >              lambda ()
> >                     (call-process-shell-command "./postTangleScript.sh"
> nil
> > 0 nil)
> >                     )
> >             )
> > #+end_src
> >

> Hi Rainer,
>
> I like to use file local variables [1] to do per-file Org-mode
> configuration and customization this is an easy way to set the local
> value of a variable every time the file is opened.
>
> I think you could use file local variables to evaluate arbitrary elisp
> when a file is opened in which case you could evaluate a named code
> block with something like `(sbe code-block-name)'.

Sounds interesting.

So to set the post-tangle-hook, I tried the following:

# -*- eval: (add-hook 'org-babel-post-tangle-hook( lambda ()
(call-process-shell-command "./postTangleScript.sh" nil 0 nil); -*-

But it did not work - I have no idea, what I'm missing - eval should
evaluate the following expression, which should set the post-tangle-hook.

Your suggestion, to evaluate a code block after opening, sounds very
interesting - could you give me a very short example?

Thanks, and sorry for my lack of elisp understanding - it has not improved
much...

Rainer

@ 2011-08-09 17:14     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-08-09 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> Hi Rainer,
>>
>> I like to use file local variables [1] to do per-file Org-mode
>> configuration and customization this is an easy way to set the local
>> value of a variable every time the file is opened.
>>
>> I think you could use file local variables to evaluate arbitrary elisp
>> when a file is opened in which case you could evaluate a named code
>> block with something like `(sbe code-block-name)'.
>>

> Sounds interesting.
>
> So to set the post-tangle-hook, I tried the following:
>
> # -*- eval: (add-hook 'org-babel-post-tangle-hook; -*-
>
> But it did not work - I have no idea, what I'm missing - eval should
> evaluate the following expression, which should set the post-tangle-hook.

maybe try something like the following

# -*- org-babel-post-tangle-hook: '(my-tangle-hook-function) -*-

where `my-tangle-hook-function' is defined in your .emacs config.

> Your suggestion, to evaluate a code block after opening, sounds very
> interesting - could you give me a very short example?

The info link I posted should explain how to evaluate a snippet of
elisp, once you have that working (you could test with simple calls to
the `message' function) you can use the `sbe' function (see it's
documentation) to evaluate named code blocks.

Best -- Eric

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: [babel] set post tangle hook on per file basis - evalu
@ 2011-08-10  7:33       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-08-10  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode