emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* [babel] Piping from sh code to shell?
@ 2011-07-13 11:26 Rainer M Krug
  2011-07-13 17:43 ` Eric Schulte
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-07-13 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 728 bytes --]

Hi

this is not strictly an org-babel question - but here is it anyway.

If I have an sh code block as follow

#+begin_src sh
  TXT="Hello World"
  echo $TXT
#+end_src

and enter it with C-c ' --- is there a way of piping single lines, regions,
the whole block to a shell, similar to the functionality provided by ESS and
R?

Thanks,

Rainer

-- 
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology,
UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 1057 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: [babel] Piping from sh code to shell?
  2011-07-13 11:26 [babel] Piping from sh code to shell? Rainer M Krug
@ 2011-07-13 17:43 ` Eric Schulte
  2011-07-13 18:46   ` Rainer M Krug
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Eric Schulte @ 2011-07-13 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

I am not entirely sure what you are asking, but there is currently no
support for piping portions of code blocks to a shell.  sh code blocks
do however support session evaluation, which could be similar.

Best -- Eric

Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> this is not strictly an org-babel question - but here is it anyway.
>
> If I have an sh code block as follow
>
> #+begin_src sh
>   TXT="Hello World"
>   echo $TXT
> #+end_src
>
> and enter it with C-c ' --- is there a way of piping single lines, regions,
> the whole block to a shell, similar to the functionality provided by ESS and
> R?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rainer

-- 
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: [babel] Piping from sh code to shell?
  2011-07-13 17:43 ` Eric Schulte
@ 2011-07-13 18:46   ` Rainer M Krug
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2011-07-13 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1368 bytes --]

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Rainer,
>
>
Hi Eric,


> I am not entirely sure what you are asking, but there is currently no
> support for piping portions of code blocks to a shell.


That is exactly what I am asking - thanks for decrypting my email.


> sh code blocks
> do however support session evaluation, which could be similar.
>

True - I haven't thought about that.

Thanks,

Rainer


>
> Best -- Eric
>
> Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > this is not strictly an org-babel question - but here is it anyway.
> >
> > If I have an sh code block as follow
> >
> > #+begin_src sh
> >   TXT="Hello World"
> >   echo $TXT
> > #+end_src
> >
> > and enter it with C-c ' --- is there a way of piping single lines,
> regions,
> > the whole block to a shell, similar to the functionality provided by ESS
> and
> > R?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rainer
>
> --
> Eric Schulte
> http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/
>



-- 
Rainer M. Krug, PhD (Conservation Ecology, SUN), MSc (Conservation Biology,
UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology
Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax (F):       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2568 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2011-07-13 18:46 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2011-07-13 11:26 [babel] Piping from sh code to shell? Rainer M Krug
2011-07-13 17:43 ` Eric Schulte
2011-07-13 18:46   ` Rainer M Krug

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).