* Disambiguate internal links?
@ 2020-06-03 14:06 Budiman Snowman
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Budiman Snowman @ 2020-06-03 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have this document:

* topic1
See topic [[topic2]].
See glossary [[topic2]].

* topic2
* glossary
** topic1
** topic2

What are ways to disambiguate the internal links? The first link should
link to the topic2 first-level entry, while the second link should go to
the topic2 entry under glossary. They both have the same title. One way I
know is using a unique dedicated target, e.g.:

* topic1
See topic [[topic2]].
See glossary [[glossary topic2][topic2]].

* topic2
* glossary
** <<glossary topic1>> topic1
** <<glossary topic2>> topic2

What are other ways available?

Regards,
BS

* Re: Disambiguate internal links?
@ 2020-06-03 14:17 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-06-03 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budiman Snowman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday,  3 Jun 2020 at 21:06, Budiman Snowman wrote:
> One way I know is using a unique dedicated target, e.g.:

That's what I do in practice as it's robust to changes in headings and
is visible so I can remember the names.

You may also wish to consider CUSTOM_ID properties?

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.6-640-g9bc0cc

* Re: Disambiguate internal links?
@ 2020-06-03 14:20 ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2020-06-03 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budiman Snowman; +Cc: Org-mode

I almost always use a CUSTOM_ID property for this, e.g.

* topic1
See topic [[#topic2][topic2]].
See glossary [[#glossary_topic2][topic2]].

* topic2
:PROPERTIES:
:CUSTOM_ID: topic2
:END:

* glossary
** topic1
:PROPERTIES:
:CUSTOM_ID: glossary_topic2
:END:
** topic2
:PROPERTIES:
:CUSTOM_ID: glossary_topic2
:END:

@ 2020-06-04 15:26   ` Budiman Snowman
From: Budiman Snowman @ 2020-06-04 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Zamboni; +Cc: Org-mode

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 9:21 PM Diego Zamboni <diego@zzamboni.org> wrote:

> I almost always use a CUSTOM_ID property for this, e.g.
>
> * topic1
> See topic [[#topic2][topic2]].
> See glossary [[#glossary_topic2][topic2]].
>
> * topic2
> :PROPERTIES:
> :CUSTOM_ID: topic2
> :END:
>
> * glossary
> ** topic1
> :PROPERTIES:
> :CUSTOM_ID: glossary_topic2
> :END:
> ** topic2
> :PROPERTIES:
> :CUSTOM_ID: glossary_topic2
> :END:

Are there advantages to using CUSTOM_ID instead of dedicated target? I'll
stick with dedicated target for now, because it's shorter to type.

@ 2020-06-05 11:01     ` Diego Zamboni
From: Diego Zamboni @ 2020-06-05 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budiman Snowman; +Cc: Org-mode

I personally find CUSTOM_ID's easier since I can make them
unequivocally unique, and by using them the links don't break if I
change something in the headline title.

@ 2020-09-04 14:47 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-04 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Budiman Snowman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Budiman,

Budiman Snowman <budimansnowman@gmail.com> writes:

> One way I know is using a unique dedicated target, e.g.:
>
> * topic1
> See topic [[topic2]].
> See glossary [[glossary topic2][topic2]].
>
> * topic2
> * glossary
> ** <<glossary topic1>> topic1
> ** <<glossary topic2>> topic2
>
> What are other ways available?

I don't know other way, but I don't see what's wrong with this one?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Disambiguate internal links?
@ 2020-10-09  1:13   ` Budiman Snowman