* Question about repeating events.
@ 2012-01-12 16:13 Sam Auciello
From: Sam Auciello @ 2012-01-12 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I'm trying to set up repeating events to stop repeating after a given
date.  In this case it's classes I'm taking this semester that need to
repeat once a week so I enter them like:

*** Programming Workshop
     <2012-01-24 Tue 13:30-14:50 +1w>, <2012-01-20 Fri 13:30-14:50 +1w>

The agenda shows the class being scheduled each tuesday and friday but I
would like to tell it to stop repeating at the end of the semester.

I didn't see anything helpful here:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Repeated-tasks.html#Repeated-tasks

The options I see here are using C-c C-x c to make a bunch of duplicate
entries (which seems a little messy to me, but perhaps this is just how
it's done) or simply marking the item as DONE at the end of the semester.
The latter option seems a little weird to me too since it would make my
agenda for the following semester cluttered if I was looking at it to plan
future events.  Is there an option I'm overlooking?

Thank you,

Peace
~Sam

* Re: Question about repeating events.
@ 2012-01-13 15:12 ` Brian Wightman
From: Brian Wightman @ 2012-01-13 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Auciello; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Sam Auciello <olleicua@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up repeating events to stop repeating after a given date.
> In this case it's classes I'm taking this semester that need to repeat once
> a week so I enter them like:
>
> *** Programming Workshop
>      <2012-01-24 Tue 13:30-14:50 +1w>, <2012-01-20 Fri 13:30-14:50 +1w>
>
> The agenda shows the class being scheduled each tuesday and friday but I
> would like to tell it to stop repeating at the end of the semester.

Would diary-style datestamps work?

http://orgmode.org/manual/Timestamps.html#Timestamps

Brian

* Re: Question about repeating events.
@ 2012-01-13 15:32 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2012-01-13 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Auciello; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sam Auciello <olleicua@gmail.com> writes:

> I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this question.

Not at all; definitely the right place.  However, I would suggest you
search the mailing list first before asking as your question has come up
umpteen times before!  It's also answered on Worg.

> I'm trying to set up repeating events to stop repeating after a given
> date.  In this case it's classes I'm taking this semester that need to
> repeat once a week so I enter them like:
>
> *** Programming Workshop
>      <2012-01-24 Tue 13:30-14:50 +1w>, <2012-01-20 Fri 13:30-14:50 +1w>
>
> The agenda shows the class being scheduled each tuesday and friday but I
> would like to tell it to stop repeating at the end of the semester.
>
> I didn't see anything helpful here:
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Repeated-tasks.html#Repeated-tasks
>
> The options I see here are using C-c C-x c to make a bunch of duplicate
> entries (which seems a little messy to me, but perhaps this is just how
> it's done) or simply marking the item as DONE at the end of the semester.
> The latter option seems a little weird to me too since it would make my
> agenda for the following semester cluttered if I was looking at it to plan
> future events.  Is there an option I'm overlooking?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Peace
> ~Sam

I do the latter (copy with time shift) and have been doing so for quite
a while.  I find this is quite appropriate for schedules like this as it
allows one to "miss" the odd entry (e.g. study/reading week or class
cancelled for whatever reason).

I am not sure what you mean by saying that it makes the agenda
cluttered?  The result is the same in the agenda view: an entry for each
day/time a class is scheduled.  I also do not understand your reference
to marking anything done!  This is not a TODO item, it is an
appointment.

I think it's worthwhile distinguishing between appointments (which
*have* to take place at the appointed time) and scheduled work (i.e. a
/task/ which you intend to do at a certain time but which may end up
being done earlier or later).  The latter is a TODO item; the former is
not.  The latter will remain in the agenda view until it is marked done
whereas the former only appears on the time+day indicated.

I hope this makes some sort of sense...

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.92.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.03 (release_7.8.03.122.g5b407)

* Re: Question about repeating events.
@ 2012-01-13 15:41   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-01-13 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Wightman; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Sam Auciello

Brian Wightman <MidLifeXis@wightmanfam.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Sam Auciello <olleicua@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to set up repeating events to stop repeating after a given date.
> > In this case it's classes I'm taking this semester that need to repeat once
> > a week so I enter them like:
> >
> > *** Programming Workshop
> >      <2012-01-24 Tue 13:30-14:50 +1w>, <2012-01-20 Fri 13:30-14:50 +1w>
> >
> > The agenda shows the class being scheduled each tuesday and friday but I
> > would like to tell it to stop repeating at the end of the semester.
>
> Would diary-style datestamps work?
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Timestamps.html#Timestamps

Another possibility is to mark it DONE at the end of the semester and
archive the entry. That would prevent it from cluttering up anything except the
archive file.

Nick

* Re: Question about repeating events.
@ 2012-01-13 15:41   ` Sam Auciello