* How to pass table to SRC block as strings only?
@ 2017-01-19  6:55 Sébastien Brisard
From: Sébastien Brisard @ 2017-01-19  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,
here is a MWE

=====BEGIN MWE=====

#+NAME: table20170119
| col1 | col2       |
|------+------------|
| row1 | 1234567890 |
| row2 | a          |
| row3 | b          |
| row4 | c          |

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var table=table20170119 :colnames yes :results output
  (print (map 'list (lambda (row) (nth 1 row)) table))
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:
: (1234567890.0 "a" "b" "c")

=====END MWE=====

As you can see, col #1, row #1 is parsed as a float. I would like it
to be parsed as a string. In other words, the expected RESULTS are

=====BEGIN EXPECTED RESULT=====

#+RESULTS:
:
: ("1234567890" "a" "b" "c")

=====END EXPECTED RESULT=====

Is there an option to prevent org from interpreting the cell values? I
noticed that org-table-to-lisp returns all cells as strings. That's
the functionality I am looking for, in header arguments.

Thanks for your help,
Sébastien

* Re: How to pass table to SRC block as strings only?
@ 2017-01-19 17:07 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2017-01-19 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Brisard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017, Sébastien Brisard wrote:

> Hello all,
> here is a MWE
>
> =====BEGIN MWE=====
>
> #+NAME: table20170119
> | col1 | col2       |
> |------+------------|
> | row1 | 1234567890 |
> | row2 | a          |
> | row3 | b          |
> | row4 | c          |
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var table=table20170119 :colnames yes :results output
>  (print (map 'list (lambda (row) (nth 1 row)) table))
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS:
> :
> : (1234567890.0 "a" "b" "c")
>
> =====END MWE=====
>
> As you can see, col #1, row #1 is parsed as a float.

Actually, it is not a float:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var table=table20170119 :colnames yes :results pp
(number-to-string (nth 1 (car table)))
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: "1234567890"

Maybe this is what you want:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var table=table20170119 :colnames yes :results pp
(map 'list (lambda (row) (format "%s" (nth 1 row))) table)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: ("1234567890" "a" "b" "c")

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: How to pass table to SRC block as strings only?
@ 2017-01-20  2:34   ` Sébastien Brisard
From: Sébastien Brisard @ 2017-01-20  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry, emacs-orgmode

Thanks Charles for this answer. Let me state the problem more clearly.
Number-like cells *are* converted to numbers (as best illustrated by
the example below (see the use of numberp), which might incur accuracy
loss (see below, the first row has a lot of significant digits).
I am not interested in the number representation of these cells, only
the string matters for my application. Due to this accuracy loss,
converting back the number to a string is not an option for me...

Any ideas? Thanks!
Sébastien

===== begin example =====
#+NAME: table20170119
| col1 | col2                 |
|------+----------------------|
| row1 | 12345678901234567890 |
| row2 | a                    |
| row3 | b                    |
| row4 | c                    |

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var table=table20170119 :colnames yes :results output
  (print (map 'list (lambda (row) (nth 1 row)) table))
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
:
: (1.2345678901234567e+019 "a" "b" "c")

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var table=table20170119 :colnames yes :results value
  (map 'list (lambda (row) (numberp (nth 1 row))) table)
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
| t | nil | nil | nil |

===== end example =====

@ 2017-01-20  3:49     ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2017-01-20  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Brisard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017, Sébastien Brisard wrote:

> Thanks Charles for this answer. Let me state the problem more clearly.
> Number-like cells *are* converted to numbers (as best illustrated by
> the example below (see the use of numberp), which might incur accuracy
> loss (see below, the first row has a lot of significant digits).
> I am not interested in the number representation of these cells, only
> the string matters for my application. Due to this accuracy loss,
> converting back the number to a string is not an option for me...
>
> Any ideas? Thanks!

The usual resolution of table references will eventually use
`org-babel--string-to-number' to do what its name suggests.

You can write an elisp function to handle references as you wish and call
them from :var arguments.

A hackish way to do this for your case is to quash the action of
`org-babel--string-to-number':

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
   (defun get-ref-strings-as-is (ref)
     (cl-letf (((symbol-function 'org-babel--string-to-number)
 	       (lambda (x) x)))
       (org-babel-ref-resolve ref)))
#+END_SRC

#+header: :var table=(get-ref-strings-as-is "table20170119")
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :colnames yes :results pp
table
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: (("row1" "12345678901234567890")
:  ("row2" "a")
:  ("row3" "b")
:  ("row4" "c"))

You can look at `org-babel-ref-resolve' to get some ideas on how to do
this more artfully.

> Sébastien
>
> ===== begin example =====
> #+NAME: table20170119
> | col1 | col2                 |
> |------+----------------------|
> | row1 | 12345678901234567890 |
> | row2 | a                    |
> | row3 | b                    |
> | row4 | c                    |

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: How to pass table to SRC block as strings only?
@ 2017-01-21  5:30       ` Sébastien Brisard
From: Sébastien Brisard @ 2017-01-21  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Chuck,
thank you *very much* for this answer!
I was indeed wondering what was the entry point into the org source
for this. `org-babel-ref-resolve' is where I should start. I'm still
relatively new to emacs-lisp and do not know how to instrument the
code in order to trace all calls (which would probably have solved my
problem).
Anyway, with my version (8.2.10) of org-mode, I had to redefine
`org-babel-read' rather than `org-babel--string-to-number'. Will
update and see where it goes.

In any case, I will consider this problem as solved! Thanks again,
Sébastien

@ 2017-01-21  5:46         ` Sébastien Brisard
From: Sébastien Brisard @ 2017-01-21  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles C. Berry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi again,
as a follow up: I can't believe how far behind my org version was (I
suppose I was running the built-in version).
Now that I have upgraded to 9.0.3, your code works like a charm.
Thanks again,
Sébastien