* org-capture-template: file+datetree+prompt not using prompted date in template
@ 2015-11-04 21:22 Shankar Rao
From: Shankar Rao @ 2015-11-04 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For the following org capture template:

(setq org-capture-templates
      '(("d" "Date Tree Test" plain
(file+datetree+prompt "~/org/testdt.org")
"This date should be the date i picked: %<%y%m%d>")))

Though this is filed under the correct date in the datetree, no matter what
date I select in the prompt, the date displayed in the template is the
current date. Is this a bug or a feature?

How do I use the prompt-selected date in the template?

Shankar

* Re: org-capture-template: file+datetree+prompt not using prompted date in template
@ 2015-11-04 22:15 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-11-04 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Shankar Rao <shankar.rao@gmail.com> writes:

> For the following org capture template:
>
> (setq org-capture-templates
>       '(("d" "Date Tree Test" plain
> (file+datetree+prompt "~/org/testdt.org")
> "This date should be the date i picked: %<%y%m%d>")))
>
> Though this is filed under the correct date in the datetree, no matter what date I select in the prompt,
> the date displayed in the template is the current date. Is this a bug or a feature?

It's a feature I guess - org-capture.el says:

      ;; The current time
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (while (re-search-forward "%<\\([^>\n]+\\)>" nil t)
	(replace-match (format-time-string (match-string 1)) t t))

and there is no provision for another time to be given here. I don't
think there is any provision in the template for a time other than the
current time: at least I can't see a %-escape that takes a different
time.

--
Nick

* Re: org-capture-template: file+datetree+prompt not using prompted date in template
@ 2015-11-04 22:54   ` Shankar Rao
From: Shankar Rao @ 2015-11-04 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Earlier in org-capture-fill-template, there is the following:

(let* (...
       (ct (org-capture-get :default-time))

The property :default-time defaults to the current time and is overwritten
by file+datetree+prompt,

If ct was passed as a 2nd argument to format-time-string in your code
snippet:

      ;; The current time
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (while (re-search-forward "%<\\([^>\n]+\\)>" nil t)
        (replace-match (format-time-string (match-string 1) ct) t t))

this should provide the behavior I'm looking for with file+datetree+prompt,
but still use the current time for other capture types. Will this solution
break anything?

Shankar

@ 2015-11-05  1:39     ` Shankar Rao
From: Shankar Rao @ 2015-11-05  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)