* Color theme loading on startup
@ 2015-07-08 12:08 Daniel Hertrich
       [not found] ` <87io9u121s.fsf@turing.flintfam.org>
From: Daniel Hertrich @ 2015-07-08 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

Hi guys,

quick question, as I don’t really see any root cause for this:

Whenever I try to load a color theme directly from .emacs using load-theme, e.g.

(load-theme 'cyberpunk)

even if I put this line to the end of the .emacs file, the background color of the theme is overridden by something and not applied to the look of Emacs.
If I load the same theme while Emacs is running using

M-x load-theme RET cyberpunk RET

it looks good. However, using this method I cannot persist the choice across sessions.

Any ideas what the reason could be?

Also, there is

M-x color-theme-select

which lists different themes than load-theme. Is this method better? How to  load such themes through .emacs correctly?
E.g. I like the theme „Deep Blue“ listed there, but putting
(color-theme-select ‚deep_blue)
into the .emacs file doesn’t have any effect. However, I don’t know if that’s the correct lisp-compatible name of the theme. How to know what it is?
And where are new themes for this method installed to? As far as I understood, both methods take different format theme files?

Thanks!
Daniel

* Re: Color theme loading on startup
@ 2015-07-08 13:06 ` Eric S Fraga
       [not found] ` <87io9u121s.fsf@turing.flintfam.org>
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-07-08 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Hertrich; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Wednesday,  8 Jul 2015 at 14:08, Daniel Hertrich wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> quick question, as I don’t really see any root cause for this:
>
> Whenever I try to load a color theme directly from .emacs using load-theme, e.g.
>
> (load-theme 'cyberpunk)

[...]

I am not sure what causes the behaviour you see but I can say that I use
the following sequence to set the particular colour theme I want:

    (require 'color-theme)
    (color-theme-initialize)
    (color-theme-blue-sea)

The second line makes all the colour themes available and you can see
them all by M-x color-theme TAB.

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-1260-gcedef7

@ 2015-07-09  7:44   ` Daniel Hertrich
From: Daniel Hertrich @ 2015-07-09  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

> Am 09.07.2015 um 04:45 schrieb Samuel W. Flint <swflint@flintfam.org>:
>
> Daniel Hertrich <daniel@daniel-hertrich.photo> writes:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> quick question, as I don’t really see any root cause for this:
>> Whenever I try to load a color theme directly from .emacs using
>> load-theme, e.g.
>>
>> (load-theme 'cyberpunk)
>
> Try ~(load-theme 'cyberpunk t nil)~.  That should work.

Unfortunately it doesn’t. It has the same effect as without the „t nil“, background color is not applied.

@ 2015-07-09 10:23     ` Kaushal
From: Kaushal @ 2015-07-09 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Hertrich; +Cc: emacs-org list

Daniel,

What version of emacs are you on?

color-theme is a very old style of setting themes. I believe load-theme
will not work for color themes.

Check out this recent answer on emacs.SE for more detail:
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/13825/115

--
Kaushal Modi

@ 2015-07-09 10:34       ` Kaushal