* meaning for _ (and perhaps ^) temporalily changed
@ 2018-12-10 10:32 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2018-12-10 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear list,

is there a way to *temporalily* disable the default interpretation
of _ as a subscript?

I use filenames which include _ , while I have
many other places where I want the default behaviour
(I don't want to rewrite these with explicit {} and changing
org-use-sub-superscripts variable to {}).

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: meaning for _ (and perhaps ^) temporalily changed
@ 2018-12-10 17:54 ` Julius Dittmar
From: Julius Dittmar @ 2018-12-10 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Ruda,

Am 10.12.18 um 11:32 schrieb Rudolf Sykora:
> is there a way to *temporalily* disable the default interpretation
> of _ as a subscript?
>
> I use filenames which include _ ,

how about enclosing those filenames in a pair of = signs to mark the
filename itself as text to be passed through verbatim?

HTH,
Julius

* Re: meaning for _ (and perhaps ^) temporalily changed
@ 2018-12-12 18:55 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2018-12-12 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rsykora; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 5:34 AM Rudolf Sykora <rsykora@disroot.org> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> is there a way to *temporalily* disable the default interpretation
> of _ as a subscript?
>
> I use filenames which include _ , while I have
> many other places where I want the default behaviour
> (I don't want to rewrite these with explicit {} and changing
> org-use-sub-superscripts variable to {}).

If you set this in your Emacs config:

(setq org-export-with-sub-superscripts '{})

The subscripts and superscripts will be parsed only when the
to-be-subscripted/superscripted is enclosed in _{..} and ^{..}
respectively.

If you don't want to set this option globally,add this to the top of
your Org file:

From Org manual (org) Export Settings:

‘^’
     Toggle TeX-like syntax for sub- and superscripts.  If you write
     ‘^:{}’, ‘a_{b}’ is interpreted, but the simple ‘a_b’ is left as it
     is (‘org-export-with-sub-superscripts’).

* Re: meaning for _ (and perhaps ^) temporalily changed
@ 2019-02-04  9:15   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2019-02-04  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julius Dittmar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Julius Dittmar <Julius.Dittmar@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Ruda,
>
> Am 10.12.18 um 11:32 schrieb Rudolf Sykora:
>> is there a way to *temporalily* disable the default interpretation
>> of _ as a subscript?
>>
>> I use filenames which include _ ,
>
> how about enclosing those filenames in a pair of = signs to mark the
> filename itself as text to be passed through verbatim?
>
> HTH,
> Julius

As I said, this works, however, using = has a font-size effect upon (at
least) html export. There it adds <code> </code> tags, which, in my
case, makes the text smaller than other text.

Ruda