* allow italic quote marks? org-emphasis-regexp-components
@ 2015-06-15 10:12 Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2015-06-15 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what to set org-emphasis-regexp-components to in
order to allow italic quote marks?

i.e. /"like this"/

I don't understand the documentation and am just not in the mood to
spend the next hour or so working it out.  (That is a rule of thumb for
me; if it involves a regular expression, it will take at least an hour,
and three cups of tea.)

Thanks,
Myles

* Re: allow italic quote marks? org-emphasis-regexp-components
@ 2015-06-18  2:46 ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2015-06-18  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am not helpful here, but would simply like to add that I would also
love an answer to this, as well as times when italics don't seem to work
around periods and commas, like "and /then,/ well, ..." (which does not
italicize for me on emacs 24.5.1, org 8.2.1).

@ 2015-06-18  3:19   ` Kaushal
From: Kaushal @ 2015-06-18  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson, emacs-orgmode

The solution is simpler than you think; you simply need to add ZERO WIDTH
SPACE unicode char between / and " (beginning) and " and / (end).

The default way to do it is

C-x 8 RET zero width space RET

or

C-x 8 RET 200b RET

But I need to use this priceless unicode char to escape stuff like this in
org-mode and so I have bound "0" in "C-x 8" map to insert this char.
Here is how I do it in my init:
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/.emacs.d/blob/f3c44e933f45dfdb760540e9f86acc91b55ab94a/setup-files/setup-editing.el#L637
Thus I simply need to do C-x 8 0 to insert the ZERO WIDTH SPACE.

To elaborate more, <0> below is where you insert the 200b unicode
characters:

I would like to see /<0>"these surrounding quotes in italics"<0>/.

@ 2015-06-18  3:23     ` Kaushal
From: Kaushal @ 2015-06-18  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson, emacs-orgmode, Myles English

And Steven,

You need to insert that same char between , and / in /then,/

@ 2015-06-18  7:53     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-06-18  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Arntson, emacs-orgmode

On 2015-06-18, at 05:19, Kaushal <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:

> The solution is simpler than you think; you simply need to add ZERO WIDTH
> SPACE unicode char between / and " (beginning) and " and / (end).

Won't it break the LaTeX export?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: allow italic quote marks? org-emphasis-regexp-components
@ 2015-06-18 14:29       ` Kaushal
From: Kaushal @ 2015-06-18 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski, Steven Arntson, emacs-orgmode

Nope, it doesn't :)

Screencap of pdf export: http://i.imgur.com/KuLHKNd.png

@ 2015-06-18 15:50       ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2015-06-18 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Steven Arntson, emacs-orgmode, Kaushal

Marcin Borkowski writes:

> On 2015-06-18, at 05:19, Kaushal <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The solution is simpler than you think; you simply need to add ZERO WIDTH
>> SPACE unicode char between / and " (beginning) and " and / (end).

Thanks for your detailed answer Kaushal.  I hadn't heard of a 'zero
length space' before.

> Won't it break the LaTeX export?

I seems to work and manages to produce a pdf but does give this error:

! Package inputenc Error: Unicode char \u8:​ not set up for use with LaTeX.

@ 2015-06-18 16:02         ` Kaushal
From: Kaushal @ 2015-06-18 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English, Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Steven Arntson, emacs-orgmode

A quick google search comes up this these:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/83440/inputenc-error-unicode-char-u8-not-set-up-for-use-with-latex
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4268/inputenc-error-unicode-char-u8-error-while-trying-to-write-a-degree-symbol

Based on those solutions, may be you can add

\DeclareUnicodeCharacter{200b}{}

I haven't tried it, so cannot guarantee if that will work.

I regularly generate pdfs and almost all of my org documents would be using
0x200b somewhere. If a pdf generates fine without any visible artifacts and
with all content as expected, I do not look into the tex compilation logs.

This time I checked the log and I don't get that error, but a warning
instead. Note that I also use XeTeX which has unicode support. Below is a
snippet from my log:

This is XeTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-0.99991 (TeX Live 2014) (preloaded
format=xelatex)
 \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(/home/kmodi/sandbox/org/italic_quotes.tex
LaTeX2e <2014/05/01>
Babel <3.9k> and hyphenation patterns for 2 languages loaded.
(/home/kmodi/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
(/home/kmodi/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size11.clo))
(/home/kmodi/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/inputenc.sty

Package inputenc Warning: inputenc package ignored with utf8 based engines.

@ 2015-06-18 17:04           ` Steven Arntson
From: Steven Arntson @ 2015-06-18 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thank you very much!

-steven

@ 2015-06-18 18:29           ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-06-18 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Myles English, Steven Arntson, emacs-orgmode

On 2015-06-18, at 18:02, Kaushal <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:

> A quick google search comes up this these:
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/83440/inputenc-error-unicode-char-u8-not-set-up-for-use-with-latex
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4268/inputenc-error-unicode-char-u8-error-while-trying-to-write-a-degree-symbol
>
> Based on those solutions, may be you can add
>
> \DeclareUnicodeCharacter{200b}{}
>
> I haven't tried it, so cannot guarantee if that will work.

Thanks, I'll check it in my Spare Time™.

> I regularly generate pdfs and almost all of my org documents would be using
> 0x200b somewhere. If a pdf generates fine without any visible artifacts and
> with all content as expected, I do not look into the tex compilation logs.

I hate when TeX gives me *any* errors.  (So does AUCTeX.)

Best,

--

@ 2015-06-18 18:58             ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-06-18 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On 2015-06-18, at 18:02, Kaushal <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A quick google search comes up this these:
>>
>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/83440/inputenc-error-unicode-char-u8-not-set-up-for-use-with-latex
>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4268/inputenc-error-unicode-char-u8-error-while-trying-to-write-a-degree-symbol
>>
>> Based on those solutions, may be you can add
>>
>> \DeclareUnicodeCharacter{200b}{}
>>
>> I haven't tried it, so cannot guarantee if that will work.
>
> Thanks, I'll check it in my Spare Time™.

I use something like this:

  (defcustom rasmus/org-latex-unicode-to-tex  '((" " "~")
                                              (" " "\\,")
                                              ("​" ""))
    "list of re rep pairs which are replaced during latex export")

  (defun rasmus/org-latex-unicode-to-tex (text backend info)
    "Replace unicode strings with their TeX equivalents.

Currently:  ' ' (no break space) to '~'
            ' ' (thin space) to '\,'
            '​'  (zero width space) to ''."
    (when (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'latex)
      (cl-loop for (re rep) in rasmus/org-latex-unicode-to-tex do
               (setq text (replace-regexp-in-string re rep text t t)))
      text))

  (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-final-output-functions
               'rasmus/org-latex-unicode-to-tex)

--
Sådan en god dansk lagereddike kan man slet ikke bruge mere

* Re: allow italic quote marks? org-emphasis-regexp-components
@ 2015-06-19 12:51               ` Myles English
From: Myles English @ 2015-06-19 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus writes:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> On 2015-06-18, at 18:02, Kaushal <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A quick google search comes up this these:
>>>
>>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/83440/inputenc-error-unicode-char-u8-not-set-up-for-use-with-latex
>>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/4268/inputenc-error-unicode-char-u8-error-while-trying-to-write-a-degree-symbol
>>>
>>> Based on those solutions, may be you can add
>>>
>>> \DeclareUnicodeCharacter{200b}{}
>>>
>>> I haven't tried it, so cannot guarantee if that will work.
>>
>> Thanks, I'll check it in my Spare Time™.
>
> I use something like this:
>
>   (defcustom rasmus/org-latex-unicode-to-tex  '(("" "~")
>                                               (" " "\\,")
>                                               ("​" ""))
>     "list of re rep pairs which are replaced during latex export")
>
>   (defun rasmus/org-latex-unicode-to-tex (text backend info)
>     "Replace unicode strings with their TeX equivalents.
>
> Currently:  '' (no break space) to '~'
>             ' ' (thin space) to '\,'
>             '​'  (zero width space) to ''."
>     (when (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'latex)
>       (cl-loop for (re rep) in rasmus/org-latex-unicode-to-tex do
>                (setq text (replace-regexp-in-string re rep text t t)))
>       text))
>
>   (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-final-output-functions
>                'rasmus/org-latex-unicode-to-tex)

Thanks, I am using this now.

Myles