* Shortcut to file
@ 2014-03-16  3:37 Chris Henderson
From: Chris Henderson @ 2014-03-16  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Is there any way to quickly add a file's location rather than typing the
whole file://path/to/location. The files are mostly freemind or libreoffice
calc/ word files.

If the file or the directory is not there, it can also be created from
within org easily.

Thanks

* Re: Shortcut to file
@ 2014-03-16  4:31 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-03-16  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Chris Henderson <henders254@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there any way to quickly add a file's location rather than typing
> the whole file://path/to/location. The files are mostly freemind or
> libreoffice calc/ word files.
>
> If the file or the directory is not there, it can also be created
> from within org easily.
>
> Thanks

Are these links to files? You can use `org-insert-link' with a prefix
argument, to get the usual find-file interface, and a link inserted once
you've found it.

* Re: Shortcut to file
@ 2014-04-12  2:09   ` Chris Henderson
From: Chris Henderson @ 2014-04-12  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: org-mode

Looks like org-insert-link doesn't have any tab completion feature to list
files on the system. How do I get that?

I can tab complete file+sys: but then can't do ~/directory/file.txt

Thanks.

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>wrote:

> Chris Henderson <henders254@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Is there any way to quickly add a file's location rather than typing
> > the whole file://path/to/location. The files are mostly freemind or
> > libreoffice calc/ word files.
> >
> > If the file or the directory is not there, it can also be created
> > from within org easily.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Are these links to files? You can use `org-insert-link' with a prefix
> argument, to get the usual find-file interface, and a link inserted once
> you've found it.

* Re: Shortcut to file
@ 2014-04-12  3:16     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-04-12  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Chris Henderson <henders254@gmail.com> writes:

> Looks like org-insert-link doesn't have any tab completion feature to
> list files on the system. How do I get that?
>
> I can tab complete file+sys: but then can't do ~/directory/file.txt

Perhaps try playing with the value of org-link-file-path-type?

> Thanks.
>

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Eric Abrahamsen <
> eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
>     Chris Henderson <henders254@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     > Is there any way to quickly add a file's location rather than
>     typing
>     > the whole file://path/to/location. The files are mostly
>     freemind or
>     > libreoffice calc/ word files.
>     >
>     > If the file or the directory is not there, it can also be
>     created
>     > from within org easily.
>     >
>     > Thanks
>
>     Are these links to files? You can use `org-insert-link' with a
>     prefix
>     argument, to get the usual find-file interface, and a link
>     inserted once
>     you've found it.

* Re: Shortcut to file
@ 2014-04-12  3:58     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-04-12  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Chris Henderson <henders254@gmail.com> writes:

> Looks like org-insert-link doesn't have any tab completion feature to list files on the
> system. How do I get that?
>
> I can tab complete file+sys: but then can't do ~/directory/file.txt
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
>     Chris Henderson <henders254@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     > Is there any way to quickly add a file's location rather than typing
>     > the whole file://path/to/location. The files are mostly freemind or
>     > libreoffice calc/ word files.
>     >
>     > If the file or the directory is not there, it can also be created
>     > from within org easily.
>     >
>     > Thanks
>
>     Are these links to files? You can use `org-insert-link' with a prefix
>     argument, to get the usual find-file interface, and a link inserted once
>     you've found it.

You must have missed the "prefix argument" part of Eric's answer: C-u C-c C-l

--
Nick

* Re: Shortcut to file
@ 2014-04-12  6:34       ` Chris Henderson