* #+include doesn't export anything?
@ 2014-01-26 16:24 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-01-26 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

I had just asked a question about src-blocks in exports, but things just
got a little weirder.

Below is my export file, referring to the master source for day 1. It
exports *nothing* from 01-contents.org. I get all the stuff from the
header, but 01-contents.org may as well not be there.

Is this a wrong approach?

What's strange is that babel asks me if I want to execute #+call lines that
are only in 01-contents.org, but ox-beamer ignores the lot.

??

I'll find some workaround, but this is highly inconvenient.

hjh

~~
#+startup: beamer

#+TITLE: SuperCollider Week, Day 1 \\ Introductory SC, Synthesis and
Sequencing
#+DATE: \today
#+AUTHOR: H. James Harkins
#+EMAIL:

#+INCLUDE: "../slidehead.org"
#+include: "../glossary.org"

#+include: "./01-contents.org"
~~

* Re: #+include doesn't export anything?
@ 2014-01-26 16:36 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-01-26 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: orgmode

Hello,

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> I had just asked a question about src-blocks in exports, but things just
> got a little weirder.
>
> Below is my export file, referring to the master source for day 1. It
> exports *nothing* from 01-contents.org. I get all the stuff from the
> header, but 01-contents.org may as well not be there.
>
> Is this a wrong approach?
>
> What's strange is that babel asks me if I want to execute #+call lines that
> are only in 01-contents.org, but ox-beamer ignores the lot.
>
> ??
>
> I'll find some workaround, but this is highly inconvenient.
>
> hjh
>

> ~~
> #+startup: beamer
>
> #+TITLE: SuperCollider Week, Day 1 \\ Introductory SC, Synthesis and
> Sequencing
> #+DATE: \today
> #+AUTHOR: H. James Harkins
> #+EMAIL:
>
> #+INCLUDE: "../slidehead.org"
> #+include: "../glossary.org"
> #+include: "./01-contents.org"
> ~~

What happens if you call (org-export-expand-include-keyword) in that
buffer? Are the resulting changes valid?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: #+include doesn't export anything?
@ 2014-01-26 16:49   ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-01-26 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: orgmode

On Monday, January 27, 2014 12:36:22 AM HKT, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> What happens if you call (org-export-expand-include-keyword) in that
> buffer? Are the resulting changes valid?

(Aside: This was challenging at first, b/c
org-export-expand-include-keyword is not interactive.)

Ah... now I see it.

#+INCLUDE: "../slidehead.org"
#+include: "../glossary.org"

#+include: "./01-contents.org"

The last heading in glossary.org is ":noexport:" -- then, the include for
01-contents.org thinks that it should go underneath the last heading to be
created in glossary.org. So, everything that was a top level heading in
01-contents.org becomes a second-level heading, underneath a :noexport:
tag.

So, that pretty much blows my file structure to smithereens.

I suppose it's actually debatable. But, I would have assumed that the last
heading level in an included file would be "unwound" before including the
next file. That is:

~~
#+include "something.org"
* Heading
#+include "something-else.org"
~~

... would denote everything in something-else.org by one level, while...

~~
#+include "something.org"

#+include "something-else.org"
~~

... would leave something-else.org's levels untouched, regardless of the
headline levels in something.org.

Hm. It looks like my whole idea about structuring this project was badly
conceived from the beginning :(  either that, or the include mechanism is
not thoroughly thought-through.

hjh

* Re: #+include doesn't export anything?
@ 2014-01-26 16:52     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-01-26 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: orgmode

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> I suppose it's actually debatable. But, I would have assumed that the last
> heading level in an included file would be "unwound" before including the
> next file. That is:
>
> ~~
> #+include "something.org"
> * Heading
> #+include "something-else.org"
> ~~
>
> ... would denote everything in something-else.org by one level, while...
>
> ~~
> #+include "something.org"
>
> #+include "something-else.org"
> ~~
>
> ... would leave something-else.org's levels untouched, regardless of the
> headline levels in something.org.
>
> Hm. It looks like my whole idea about structuring this project was badly
> conceived from the beginning :(  either that, or the include mechanism is
> not thoroughly thought-through.

See (info "(org) Include files"), in particular :minlevel keyword.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: #+include doesn't export anything?
@ 2014-01-27  0:58       ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-01-27  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode