* Google calendar sync - what is recommended?
@ 2013-04-09 15:11 Rainer M. Krug
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-09 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

As you might guess from my recent mails, I am moving away from
thunderbird to org-mode. After having my emails covered and fighting
with the addressbook (using goobokk as described here
http://notmuchmail.org/emacstips/#index15h2 but would like to move to
ASynK https://karra-asynk.appspot.com/ if I can get it to work and to
understand bbdb...) and hoping that I can also get toodledo synced, I
want to sync my google calendar with org. Now there was quite siome
discussion recently which I did not follow to closely. Which approach is
the recommended / most stable approach in syncing google calendar with
org?

Thanks,

Rainer

PS: org-unrelated gnus questions:

1) how can I insert these [1] footnotes in message-mode?
2) how can I "quote" or "enclose" a block with these brackets in acsii code?

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: Google calendar sync - what is recommended?
@ 2013-04-09 16:18 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-04-09 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M. Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

[...]

> discussion recently which I did not follow to closely. Which approach is
> the recommended / most stable approach in syncing google calendar with
> org?

We are in a state of flux.  For quite a while, I used a two way
upload/download approach based on icalendar export from org to Google
and an awk script to convert Google calendar information into org.  See

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-google-sync.html

This is not a synchronisation approach.

However, more recently, I moved to org-caldav for syncing.  There is a
link to this package from that web page as well (at the end).  This
works really nicely.

The problem is that Google has decided to no longer allow caldav access
to their Calendar system from sometime later this year, requiring people
to access the data in the calendar via the REST API.

I have moved back to the two way upload/download procedure mentioned
above.

> PS: org-unrelated gnus questions:
>
> 1) how can I insert these [1] footnotes in message-mode?

Use footnote-mode

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FootnoteMode

> 2) how can I "quote" or "enclose" a block with these brackets in acsii code?

I do not understand this question.  Sorry.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_8.0-pre-271-ga5d654

* Re: Google calendar sync - what is recommended?
@ 2013-04-09 16:36 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-04-09 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Rainer,

Rainer M. Krug wrote:
> PS: org-unrelated gnus questions:
>
> 1) how can I insert these [1] footnotes in message-mode?

See org-footnote.

> 2) how can I "quote" or "enclose" a block with these brackets in acsii code?

In Gnus, C-c M-m (that is, the command message-mark-inserted-region).

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Google calendar sync - what is recommended?
@ 2013-04-09 18:23   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-04-09 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> We are in a state of flux.  For quite a while, I used a two way
> upload/download approach based on icalendar export from org to Google
> and an awk script to convert Google calendar information into org.  See
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-google-sync.html
>
> This is not a synchronisation approach.
>
> However, more recently, I moved to org-caldav for syncing.  There is a
> link to this package from that web page as well (at the end).  This
> works really nicely.
>
> The problem is that Google has decided to no longer allow caldav access
> to their Calendar system from sometime later this year, requiring people
> to access the data in the calendar via the REST API.

I'm not sure Google is the solution. . .

Since we discussed this last I have found a couple of nice calDAV
possibilities:

  - Red Hat Open Shift FreeShifter: it can be used for e.g. OwnCloud
    or some other CalDav calendar (it can install OwnCloud itself).
    I use it for Tiny Tiny Rss and OwnCloud.
      https://www.openshift.com/quickstarts/all?order=created&sort=desc

  - owndrive.com also offers free OwnCloud hosting.
      https://owndrive.com/

If I have time at some point I'll experiment with it, but so far I
have still be unable to make org-caldav work. . .

–Rasmus

--
Vote for proprietary math!

* Re: Google calendar sync - what is recommended?
@ 2013-04-09 21:56 ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2013-04-09 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M. Krug; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rainer,

I have to agree with Rasmus, the question is, do you really want to sync to
google calendar or do you want to sync your smartphone calendar (most
likely an Android-based phone) with org-mode?
In case of the last, you might omit using google calendar completely and
use another service with caldav support. If you have access to an own
server (a PC which can be reached from the internet), you might be able to
even install your own solution.
There is an android app [1] which allows syncing of caldav-servers with the
Android calendar in the same way like the google calendar (in the
background, without any user-interaction after initial set-up).
Unfortunately, it is not free, but I would say it is worth the money.

E.g. I use SOGo + org-caldav + CalDAV-Sync to sync between my Android-based
phone, a web-based calendar and org-mode. Works great.

BTW. There is another Android app (CardDAV), which does the same for your
address book.

Hope that helps a bit

Torsten

[1] CalDAV-Sync beta

CC: Completely OT but it seems you use notmuch too, did you manage to get
address-completion working in notmuch?

@ 2013-04-10  7:14   ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-10  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> "Rainer M. Krug" <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> discussion recently which I did not follow to closely. Which approach is
>> the recommended / most stable approach in syncing google calendar with
>> org?
>
> We are in a state of flux.  For quite a while, I used a two way
> upload/download approach based on icalendar export from org to Google
> and an awk script to convert Google calendar information into org.  See
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-google-sync.html
>
> This is not a synchronisation approach.

True - I have seen that one.

> However, more recently, I moved to org-caldav for syncing.  There is a
> link to this package from that web page as well (at the end).  This
> works really nicely.
>
> The problem is that Google has decided to no longer allow caldav access
> to their Calendar system from sometime later this year, requiring people
> to access the data in the calendar via the REST API.

Google is doing strange hings at the moment - google reader, caldav, ...

> I have moved back to the two way upload/download procedure mentioned
> above.

Hm - I am thinking... We'll see what is coming out of this.

>> PS: org-unrelated gnus questions:
>>
>> 1) how can I insert these [1] footnotes in message-mode?

Perfect - thanks

> Use footnote-mode
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FootnoteMode
>
>> 2) how can I "quote" or "enclose" a block with these brackets in acsii code?
>
> I do not understand this question.  Sorry.

Please see the ASCII block thread - that one answers my question

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

> HTH,
> eric
<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

Stellenbosch University
South Africa

Tel :       +33 - (0)9 53 10 27 44
Cell:       +33 - (0)6 85 62 59 98
Fax :       +33 - (0)9 58 10 27 44

Fax (D):    +49 - (0)3 21 21 25 22 44

email:      Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:      RMkrug

* Re: Google calendar sync - what is recommended?
@ 2013-04-10  7:17   ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-10  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi Rainer,
>
> Rainer M. Krug wrote:
>> PS: org-unrelated gnus questions:
>>
>> 1) how can I insert these [1] footnotes in message-mode?
>
> See org-footnote.
>
>> 2) how can I "quote" or "enclose" a block with these brackets in acsii code?
>
> In Gnus, C-c M-m (that is, the command message-mark-inserted-region).

Thanks a lot - both are now solved.

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2013-04-10  7:23   ` Rainer M. Krug
From: Rainer M. Krug @ 2013-04-10  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Rainer,
>

> I have to agree with Rasmus, the question is, do you really want to
> sync to google calendar or do you want to sync your smartphone
> calendar (most likely an Android-based phone) with org-mode?

No - iPad and hopefully soon iPhone. But also web access and integration
with gmail

> In case
> of the last, you might omit using google calendar completely and use
> another service with caldav support. If you have access to an own
> server (a PC which can be reached from the internet), you might be
> able to even install your own solution.  There is an android app [1]
> which allows syncing of caldav-servers with the Android calendar in
> the same way like the google calendar (in the background, without any
> user-interaction after initial set-up). Unfortunately, it is not free,
> but I would say it is worth the money.

I have used a different calender before, and it would work (I guess) but
I grew so used to the google calendar and its features / interface /
quirks that I am reluctant at the moment (while moving to emacs) to also
move calendars.

> E.g. I use SOGo + org-caldav + CalDAV-Sync to sync between my
>Android-based phone, a web-based calendar and org-mode. Works great.
>
> BTW. There is another Android app (CardDAV), which does the same for your address book.
>
> Hope that helps a bit

It gives me something to think about...

> Torsten
>
> [1] CalDAV-Sync beta
>
> CC: Completely OT but it seems you use notmuch too, did you manage to get address-completion working in notmuch?

Yup - I use goosync as described on the notmuch website and it works -
although not as fast as I would like it to work, but I can live with
it. Any particular questions?

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2013-04-10  8:11     ` Fabrice Popineau