* Hide empty custom agenda sections
@ 2013-06-17 10:17 Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2013-06-17 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

I have a section of my custom agenda that shows items synced through
mobile-org. My mobile.org file has

#+FILETAGS: REFILE

Which means a custom agenda command of

(tags "REFILE" ((org-agenda-overriding-header "REFILE")))

shows all items from that file.

Right now I have this at the bottom of my custom agenda, and it is
therefore often off-screen. I would like to have it at the top, but only
appear when there are items under this section. Most of the time it is
there and three lines are wasting space (header separator =====, header
"REFILE", and a blank line).

I haven't seen this feature. Does a command exist that already supports
this, or do I need to develop this myself?

Thanks,

   -k.

* Re: Hide empty custom agenda sections
@ 2013-06-27 14:44 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-06-27 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Ken,

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> Right now I have this at the bottom of my custom agenda, and it is
> therefore often off-screen. I would like to have it at the top, but
> only appear when there are items under this section. Most of the time
> it is there and three lines are wasting space (header separator ====
> =, header "REFILE", and a blank line).

So you are using agenda blocks, right?

Please post the skeleton of your custom agendas so that we can better
understand.

 Bastien

* Re: Hide empty custom agenda sections
@ 2013-06-27 15:18   ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2013-06-27 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Bastien,

Here is my custom agenda section. I'd like to have the DEADLINE and the
REFILE only show up if items exist in those sections, not when they are
empty. Actually, I guess I'd like this for all sections.

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("c" "My Custom Agenda"
         (
  (tags "REFILE" ((org-agenda-overriding-header "REFILE")))
  (tags-todo "+DEADLINE<=\"<+3d>\""
     (
      (org-agenda-overriding-header "Deadline <= 3 Days")
      ))
  (tags-todo "+SCHEDULED<\"<tomorrow>\""
     (
      (org-agenda-overriding-header "Scheduled Today")
      ))
          (todo "INPROGRESS" ((org-agenda-overriding-header "In Progress")))
          (todo "WAITING|VERIFY" ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Waiting or
Verify")))
  (agenda "" (
      (org-agenda-overriding-header "Scheduled")
      (org-deadline-warning-days 0)
      ))
          (todo "SOMEDAY" ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Someday")))
  (tags "REFILE" ((org-agenda-overriding-header "REFILE")))
  ) nil ("org.txt" "org.html" "org.ics"))))

@ 2013-06-28 16:34     ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2013-06-28 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

So I tried adding a "(nil)" in the custom agenda section. If this were
allowed (presumably ignored), I could write a function that returns nil
unless there were items tagged REFILE, in which case it would return

  (tags "REFILE" ((org-agenda-overriding-header "REFILE")))

But having (nil) caused an error. I guess I could make the entire "My
Custom Agenda" section be the output of a function, but that seems overly
complex.

  -k.

@ 2013-07-01 13:38     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-07-01 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Ken,

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> Here is my custom agenda section. I'd like to have the DEADLINE and
> the REFILE only show up if items exist in those sections, not when
> they are empty. Actually, I guess I'd like this for all sections.

I gave another quick look but this would be too complex to implement,
even if I agree this would be nice to have.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Hide empty custom agenda sections
@ 2013-07-01 14:38       ` Ken Mankoff