* How to tweak org-log-into-file, how to leverage state history.
@ 2020-03-01  6:57 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2020-03-01  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've been trying to understand the whole TODO universe, now that I've
finally tackled it. The ability to create all the various states (I haven't
tried SEQ of state groups yet) on an issue entered as a heading in an org
file and then change the status of that heading is marvelous. For example,
I've created states TOGROK, GROKKING, and GROKKED for issues I'm "thinking
hard" about.

My frustration is when I create/change a state (all my states have @ for
"add log blurb"), the LOGBOOK only allows a single rambling sentence, i.e.,
no paragraphs. For example, I want to start out with my own custom
PROPERTIES drawer, then start the text.

To elaborate, I create a heading and give it the status TOGROK. So I say a
lot about this initial state and save it. Then I want to change the state
to GROKKING when I've something new to say. Then I "change" to GROKKING
again -- because some new thing occurs to me. After maybe a few of those, I
change to GROKKED and finalize this whole heading-as-issue. This is exactly
what I want, because this heading-as-issue is leveraging the TODO state
history.

Sure, I could have just done elaborations as they came to me as text,
graphs, pics, whatever under the heading, paragraph after paragraph, *but
then I've lost the whole state change dynamic of attaching new information
to a new state, and with it the tracked history. *

So I see org-log-into-drawer has three possible values in its customize
buffer: nil, LOGBOOK, and Other. The LOGBOOK option allows the nice (but
limited to one sentence) logging of each change of state, creating a history

** GROKKING ...My first attempts at tracking issue
:LOGBOOK:
- State "GROKKING"   from "GROKKING"   [2020-02-29 Sat 23:50] \\
  Still grokking this one.
  But will return to this issue.
- State "GROKKING"   from "TOGROK"     [2020-02-29 Sat 23:49] \\
  Will "ask around" on this issue.
- State "TOGROK"     from              [2020-02-29 Sat 23:43] \\
  Aware that I need to grok this whole thing.

So what can I do with org-log-into-drawer's Other option? I tried
(org-log-into-drawer  (current-time)), which is apparently just the same
as (org-log-into-drawer  t), i.e., just a LOGBOOK entry happened.

Is there something that can happen in sub-headings that keeps track of the
state history of the main heading?

LB