* Special alignment in org-mode
@ 2016-04-27  5:01 David Cao
From: David Cao @ 2016-04-27  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was wondering if there is any way to right-align the header indicators
while left-aligning the actual content. Unfortunately I haven't been able
to find any mention of such a feature online.

For example:

  * My fancy org file
 ** Header 2
    Some content here
*** Header 3

Thanks in advance!
David

* Re: Special alignment in org-mode
@ 2016-04-27 16:47 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-04-27 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Cao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I think this does approximately what you want:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results none
(require 'ov)

(defun org-max-heading-depth ()
  "Get maximum depth of a heading."
  (let ((max-depth 0)
        depth)
    (org-map-entries (lambda ()
                       (when (> (setq depth (car (org-heading-components))) max-depth)
                         (setq max-depth depth))))
    max-depth))

(defun org-right-align-overlay ()
  "Put an overlay on headline * to right align to maximum depth.
Should be run while on the headline."
  (interactive)
  (let* ((diff (- (org-max-heading-depth) (car (org-heading-components))))
         ov)
    (while (and (setq ov (ov-at (match-beginning 1)))
               (overlay-get ov 'right-align))
      (delete-overlay ov))

    ;; (setq ov (make-overlay (line-beginning-position) (+ 1 (line-beginning-position))))
    (setq ov (make-overlay (match-beginning 1) (+ 1 (match-beginning 1))))
    (overlay-put ov 'before-string (make-string diff ? ))
    (overlay-put ov 'right-align t)))

(defun org-right-align-clear ()
  (interactive)
  (ov-clear 'right-align))

(defun align-matcher (&optional limit)
  (while (re-search-forward org-heading-regexp limit t)
    (org-right-align-overlay)))

(add-to-list 'org-font-lock-hook 'align-matcher)
#+END_SRC

Its only light tested, and may be slow on a long document because it is
checking the maximum depth each time. You could set this to a constant,
e.g. 8 if it is too slow.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: Special alignment in org-mode
@ 2016-04-28  2:56   ` David Cao
From: David Cao @ 2016-04-28  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

This solution works fairly well with the headers themselves, but the actual
content beneath the headers stays to the side of the buffer (as pictured:
http://i.imgur.com/nGv8XBI.png).
Would there be any way to fix this?

David

@ 2016-04-28 17:34     ` Georgiy Tugai
From: Georgiy Tugai @ 2016-04-28 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I believe that org-indent-mode (#+STARTUP: indent) might do what you
want with the content, although I expect that it will interfere with the
specialized overlays for right-aligning the *'s.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Special alignment in org-mode
@ 2016-04-28 17:39     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-04-28 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Cao; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

In this case though you probably want to specify a fixed
column, and consider using something like indent-rigidly on the heading
body so you don't have an overlay on every single line.

@ 2016-04-29  2:24       ` David Cao
From: David Cao @ 2016-04-29  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode