From: Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
Cc: Org Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Eev-wconfig.el etc etc, or: "Exercise: Learn Org!"
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 04:06:22 -0300	[thread overview]

On Sat, 28 May 2022 at 01:52, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)

Hi Ihor,

I think that you are underestimating how alien eev is for most people.
Let me suppose that what you mean by your comments is this:

  "I've spent N minutes watching this video - for N big - and I feel
   that I've learned very little! What is the best way to learn a lot
   of eev in M minutes, for M very small?"

then the answer is: follow the main tutorial, that is here:

   http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-eev-quick-intro.html

Let me just stress some points that are not obvious at all.

  0) You can turn eev-mode on and off with M-x eev-mode. The technical
     details are here:

       http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-eev-intro.html#1
       (find-eev-intro "1. `eev-mode'")

  1) Following a link to a video for which we have a local copy
     usually takes about three seconds. _For me_ this means that I can
     use links to videos as links to _images_. You complained that
     this entry in an index makes no sense:

       (find-2022eevwconfigvideo "15:50" "6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4")

     When I execute it with `M-e' it shows - in just three seconds - a
     page of text with lots of things, and the comment "6.1, 6.2, 6.3,
     6.4" in the sexp hyperlink indicates that the most important
     things in that page of text are the items 6.1 to 6.4.

  2) The main principle of eev is "take executable notes of everything
     that you do". The easiest part of "take executable notes" is
     "copy to your notes all the links that you find interesting". So,
     if you stumble on a link to a position in a video that looks
     slightly interesting, copy it to your notes; if you find a link
     in, say, this tutorial,

       (find-emacs-keys-intro)
       (eek "M-2 M-j")

     that looks interesting, copy it to your notes.

  3) There are ways to create index to videos in Org, but few people
     use them. Years ago I tried to learn this, but I gave up after a
     while:

     https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2020-01/msg00007.html

     Also, the organizers of the last EmacsConf were using some tools
     - that i also didn't learn - the create indexes and transcripts
     for the videos of the conference.

Anyway, tomorrow I will meet with a group of three or four students
that are interested in learning Emacs and eev. They use Windows and
they have never used Emacs before, so we probably won't be able to do
much of this exercise:

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-wconfig.html#learn-org

...which means: sorry for the off-topic-ish e-mails that were about
eev and not about Org, but I hope that we will reach the part in which
they'll start to index Rainer Koenig's videos in a few days...

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/#eev