* Emacs+org-mode in a Docker?
@ 2015-10-30 16:13 John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-10-30 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

Has anyone tried setting up a Docker with an Emacs and org-mode setup?

I am looking for some kind of solution like this to use with some
students. Any thoughts?

Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: Emacs+org-mode in a Docker?
@ 2015-10-30 19:57 ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2015-10-30 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-org list

I don't have any thoughts but would love to see what you ocme upwith.
Would be great not only for teaching but e.g. for pointing to a working
environment for research results.

@ 2015-10-30 23:58   ` briangpowell .
From: briangpowell . @ 2015-10-30 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-org list, John Kitchin

* Here are some of my notes+URL links on some docker+emacs experiments thus
far:

** Last I checked some glimmering developments seem to be coming to light
in the docker+emacs realm:

*** Believe some links below might be stepping-stones for your students,
Dr. Kitchin:

** Happily, below, I note coming across some work by one of our favorite
Elisp hackers of "elnode" fame: Nic Ferrier

** "docker.el" was in development too last I looked into this--see link
below.

* Linux Containers: ###1 read and take advice here FIRST:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27083182/running-emacs-in-a-docker-container

** These links are slightly tangential but I suggest them since they're
also stepping-stones to really what's going on under-the-docker-hood:

** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy-on-write
**
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/docker-lightweight-linux-containers-consistent-development-and-deployment?page=0,0
** http://www.liquidweb.com/kb/how-to-install-docker-on-ubuntu-14-04-lts
** http://aufs.sourceforge.net
** https://linuxcontainers.org

* Can run xampp on a docker--see notes and experiments below, here are
first checks and steps:
** docker inspect garland/xampp-base docker
** netstat -lnp|grep 8080" ; echo "=>" ; netstat -lnp | grep 8080 ; sleep 3
* Now try to run the xampp container:
docker run -t -i -p 8080:80 garland/xampp-base /bin/bash &

* /opt/lampp/lampp startapache
** http://localhost:8080/xampp/splash.php
** xterm -e docker run -i -t debian /bin/bash
** xterm -e docker run -i -t ubuntu /bin/bash
** docker run -i -t debian /bin/bash &
*** xampp on docker!?:

* Enabling XAMPP Web Interface with docker:

Start Docker in interactive mode

[[shell:docker run -t -i -p 8080:80 garland/xampp-base /bin/bash &]]

vim /opt/lampp/etc/extra/httpd-xampp.conf
Remove the bottom 4 lines.docker.el
**** Commented out the bottom 4 lines and then this got it semi-working
(returned "Object not found!" error) after I did this:
/opt/lampp/lampp startapache
google-chrome http://localhost:8080/:80
***** This worked!(after starting apache in the docker xterm): google
http://localhost:8080/xampp/splash.php

** https://github.com/Silex/docker.el

* [[shell:echo * Put emacs in Docker(but remember all writes will be
lost--so to really keep things write to volume(s)):";cd;docker pull
biscarch/emacs &]]

** Just mounted a "volume" (to Docker: volumes are read-write(usually) dirs
and/or files outside the Union File system (aufs) and available to the host
AND the container)
docker run -it --name container-test -h CONTAINER -v /data debian /bin/bash
docker inspect -f {{.Volumes}} container-test =>
map[/data:/var/lib/docker/vfs/dir/79d22ddf7a12b6e283c74df521289adb6b537883686eb43aa3c2405f0c6aacae]
date >
/var/lib/docker/vfs/dir/79d22ddf7a12b6e283c74df521289adb6b537883686eb43aa3c2405f0c6aacae/date.j
root@CONTAINER:/# cat /data/date.j => Mon Jul 20 09:08:33 EDT 2015
** http://container-solutions.com/understanding-volumes-docker/ "Quite
simply, volumes are directories (or files) that are outside of the default
Union File System and exist as normal directories and files on the host
filesystem."
In order to be able to save (persist) data and share data between
containers, Docker came up with the concept of volumes:
Quite simply, volumes are directories (or files) that are outside of the
default Union File System and exist as normal directories and files on the
host filesystem.
There are two ways to initialise volumes, with some subtle differences that
are important to understand. We can declare a volume at run-time with the
-v flag:

$ docker run -it --name container-test -h CONTAINER -v /data debian
/bin/bash

root@CONTAINER:/# ls /data
root@CONTAINER:/#
This will make the directory /data inside the container live outside the
Union File System and directly accessible on the host.
*** Trying this but fails--may have to do before booting the container?:
docker run -v /home/b/data55:/data55 debian ls /data55
** Can also give access to a "volume" that is available in one container to
another
*** Can't you use FUSE with a container!?
** "you can also mount a directory from your own host into a container:"
$ sudo docker run -d -P --name web -v /src/webapp:/opt/webapp
training/webapp python app.py
*** The above will mount the local directory, /src/webapp, into the
container as the /opt/webapp directory. This is very useful for testing;
for example,
we can mount our source code inside the container and see our application
at work as we change the source code!
**** But with UNIONFS and AUFS this functionality has been available for
many years.
** To test docker install
docker search debian
docker pull debian
docker run -i -t debian /bin/bash
*** And/or
docker pull ubuntu
docker run -i -t ubuntu /bin/bash
* Yet another emacs in a docker(which I've done successfully--see
above--but this is "dmacs"): [[https://github.com/bcbcarl/docker-emacs]]
docker pull bcbcarl/emacs
sudo curl -L
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bcbcarl/docker-emacs/master/bin/dmacs -o
/usr/local/bin/dmacs
sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/dmacs
* This didn't quite work but very interestin'--nic the elnode man Nic
Ferrier at it again: https://github.com/nicferrier/emacs-in-a-docker
*** This didn't work; but, here's his plan:

This puts Emacs into a docker!

I am sure this is going to be useful for tests and things like that.

Subdirectories

Since there are an immediate load of things you might do with Dockers (run
a daemon, run a batch in various ways, etc...) I'll put subdirs here with
usable Dockerfiles for doing those things.

emacsd

A docker with an Emacs daemon in it.

$ sudo docker.io run -d -v $(realpath sockets):/tmp/emacs1000
nicferrier/emacsd
$ emacsclient -s sockets/sock/server -e  '(+ 1 1)'

* Other Emacs Dockerfiles

Elnode has a few Dockerfiles to allow quick deployment. So far I've based
all the Emacs Dockerfiles I've built on emacsd.
** Other sites:
https://github.com/nicferrier/emacs-lxc/blob/master/lxc.el
https://github.com/nicferrier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeKDStj30Y
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=nic%20ferrier%20emacs%20container
http://emacswiki.org/emacs/NicFerrier
https://libraries.io/github/nicferrier/emacs-lxc
http://nic.ferrier.me.uk/blog/2013_08/the-emacs-tapas
https://github.com/nicferrier/docker-shell-deploy/blob/master/README.md
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TrampAndDocker

* Docker Backups

If you’re using a data-container, it’s pretty trivial to do a backup:

$ docker run --rm --volumes-from dbdata -v $(pwd):/backup debian tar cvf
/backup/backup.tar /var/lib/postgresql/data

** Above should create a tarball of everything in the volume (the official
postgres Dockerfile defines a volume at /var/lib/postgresql/data).

@ 2015-11-04 11:07     ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-11-04 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: briangpowell .; +Cc: emacs-org list

Thanks for all the notes! It looks like a not too trivial exercise that
might have to be a summer project for me.

@ 2015-11-07  7:00       ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-11-07  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 7:07 PM, John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for all the notes! It looks like a not too trivial exercise that
> might have to be a summer project for me.

For the past year, I've been curious about how to make my Emacs
environment available to me and anyone else, easily. Goal is to make
working on a Linux, Windows, or OSX GUI a one-click setup. For me,
Vagrant is the obvious solution here. Vagrant and Packer,
specifically.

The benefit of using Packer to build a Vagrant image is that the user
doesn't have to wait for the download and installation of big stuff
like TeXLive. That get's me curious if we (all Emacs/Org users) might
want to build a base-image that includes all the stuff out there.
Might make it easy for users to try out lots of different configs
without having to deal with all of the software requirements. While
that isn't a "big deal", it is just easier for them so they can focus
on doing stuff with Org.

* Re: Emacs+org-mode in a Docker?
@ 2015-11-07  8:17         ` Stelian Iancu
From: Stelian Iancu @ 2015-11-07  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke, John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-org list

On 07/11/15 08:00, Grant Rettke wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 7:07 PM, John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks for all the notes! It looks like a not too trivial exercise that
>> might have to be a summer project for me.
>
> For the past year, I've been curious about how to make my Emacs
> environment available to me and anyone else, easily. Goal is to make
> working on a Linux, Windows, or OSX GUI a one-click setup. For me,
> Vagrant is the obvious solution here. Vagrant and Packer,
> specifically.
>
> The benefit of using Packer to build a Vagrant image is that the user
> doesn't have to wait for the download and installation of big stuff
> like TeXLive. That get's me curious if we (all Emacs/Org users) might
> want to build a base-image that includes all the stuff out there.
> Might make it easy for users to try out lots of different configs
> without having to deal with all of the software requirements. While
> that isn't a "big deal", it is just easier for them so they can focus
> on doing stuff with Org.

This is a good idea, I'm personally using Vagrant for a lot of
development related stuff.

However the users still have to download the base box image initially
and that can be many GBs, depending on what you include in it.

Also, would you include Xorg and thus the ability to run Emacs in
graphical mode or only a terminal-based Emacs?

S.

* Re: Emacs+org-mode in a Docker?
@ 2015-11-09 14:45         ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-11-09 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: emacs-org list

This sounds a lot like what I have in mind. Have you tried doing this yet?

--

@ 2015-11-17 12:51           ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-11-17 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stelian Iancu; +Cc: emacs-org list, John Kitchin

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Stelian Iancu <si@siancu.net> wrote:
> However the users still have to download the base box image initially and
> that can be many GBs, depending on what you include in it.

Off the top of my head I assume that the user has high speed Internet,
many GiBs of disk space, a few GiBs of RAM, and a couple of CPUs to
run the VM.

> Also, would you include Xorg and thus the ability to run Emacs in graphical
> mode or only a terminal-based Emacs?

Include Xorg so as to be able to run GUI Emacs.

* Re: Emacs+org-mode in a Docker?
@ 2015-11-17 12:56           ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2015-11-17 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: emacs-org list

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 10:45 PM, John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> This sounds a lot like what I have in mind. Have you tried doing this yet?

What I have done is used Vagrant for a development box, which included
text Emacs. That worked well.

I have not moved this forward yet as an Org mode box with a GUI. When
the topic came up here, it got me thinking about doing this again. My
other motivation is to move to 100% VM based workstations, and this
seems like a perfect way to get some re-use out of my Emacs/Org box.

* Re: Emacs+org-mode in a Docker?
@ 2015-11-17 20:46 ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2015-11-17 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Has anyone tried setting up a Docker with an Emacs and org-mode setup?
>
> I am looking for some kind of solution like this to use with some
> students. Any thoughts?

I made a docker image for my xwidget emacs branch:
https://github.com/jave/xwidget-aux/tree/master/emacs-xwidget-docker-debian

There are notes there also how to run the dockerized emacs in graphical mode by
forwarding X.

It would be very straightforward to use the same technique with plain
gnu emacs rather than my branch.

> Thanks,
>
> --
> Professor John Kitchin