* Document of org-map-entries
@ 2016-10-13  4:16 York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2016-10-13  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi list,

I wanted to know how to use the MATCH parameter in `org-map-entries'. I've
searched extensively, but was unable to find much useful information. Can
somebody please shed some lights on this?

Thanks,

York

* Re: Document of org-map-entries
@ 2016-10-13  4:46 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-10-13  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

> I wanted to know how to use the MATCH parameter in
> `org-map-entries'. I've searched extensively, but was unable to find
> much useful information. Can somebody please shed some lights on
> this?

See

   (info "(org) Using the mapping API")

and

   (info "(org) Matching tags and properties")

--
Nick

* Re: Document of org-map-entries
@ 2016-10-13  5:00   ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2016-10-13  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you very much Nick.

(info "(org) Using the mapping API") was the first doc I read which has
very little information on how to use the "match" parameter.  (info "(org)
Matching tags and properties") does have a lot more detail though.

@ 2016-10-13  5:25     ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2016-10-13  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

One more question: how do I map only the entries that has a specific
property
defined? The following code didn't work.

(org-map-entries
     (lambda () (...))
     "mytag+myproperty<>nil")

Thanks,

@ 2016-10-13 14:05       ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2016-10-13 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: York Zhao; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

Try this instead:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(org-map-entries (lambda () (org-heading-components)) "myproperty<>\"\"")
#+END_SRC

Empty properties get returned as "" not nil I think.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: Document of org-map-entries
@ 2016-10-13 15:57     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-10-13 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you very much Nick.
>
> (info "(org) Using the mapping API") was the first doc I read which has very little information on how
> to use the "match" parameter.  (info "(org) Matching tags and properties") does have a lot more detail
> though.

Understood - I like to give more complete information for two reasons:

1) I don't know what you have seen already, so maybe I can save an
   exchange or two on the list by being more complete - and if you
   have seen it already, no harm done.

2) Perhaps I'm fooling myself, but I like to think that somebody down
   the line is going to have the same question, and if gmane ever
   comes back :-), they might be able to search the list and find the
   information that they need without having to send an email to the
   list (or even if they do, somebody might be around who remembers
   and can do the search and reply with "See this message").

So no disparagement/offense meant at all, that is just my modus operandi.

Nick

* Re: Document of org-map-entries
@ 2016-10-14  4:05       ` York Zhao
From: York Zhao @ 2016-10-14  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)