* How to include time when generating timestamp for DEADLINE/SCHEDULE
@ 2015-02-12 19:17 Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2015-02-12 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Both C-c C-d (deadline) and C-d C-s (schedule) bring up a calendar in the mini-buffer to pick a date
This is great
However, there doesn't appear to be any way to include a time in the deadline without going in afterwards and manually editing it.
This is not so great.

I would dearly love to be able to easily enter in deadlines for items with a full  date/time stamp. I frequently need to know that item X is not only due tomorrow (DEADLINE: <2015-02-13 Fri>). But that it is due tomorrow at 1:00 PM (DEADLINE: <2015-02-13 Fri 13:00>)
Manually editing to add the time stamp seems to cause no problems, and causes DEADLINES to locate in the time grid as expected, which is very helpful.
Am I just missing something, or is this a glaring hole in the scheduling mechanic?
Thanks!
Subhan

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

* Re: How to include time when generating timestamp for DEADLINE/SCHEDULE
@ 2015-02-12 20:44 ` Yuri Niyazov
From: Yuri Niyazov @ 2015-02-12 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Michael Tindall; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

you can just type in the time in the mini buffer.

@ 2015-02-12 20:46 ` Dominic Surano
From: Dominic Surano @ 2015-02-12 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Subhan Michael Tindall <SubhanT <at> familycareinc.org> writes:

> Both C-c C-d (deadline) and C-d C-s (schedule) bring up a calendar in
the mini-buffer to pick a date
> This is great
> However, there doesn’t appear to be any way to include a time in the
deadline without going in afterwards and manually editing it.

> This is not so great.
>
> I would dearly love to be able to easily enter in deadlines for items
with a full  date/time stamp. I frequently need to know that item X is
not only due tomorrow (DEADLINE: <2015-02-13 Fri>). But that it is due
tomorrow at 1:00 PM (DEADLINE:
>  <2015-02-13 Fri 13:00>)
> Manually editing to add the time stamp seems to cause no problems, and
causes DEADLINES to locate in the time grid as expected, which is very
helpful.
> Am I just missing something, or is this a glaring hole in the
scheduling mechanic?
> Thanks!
> Subhan
>

> This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity
to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended
addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose
or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the
message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.  Thank you.

I believe you're missing something. While in the Date+time mini-buffer,
you can enter a string such as "2015-02-03 1:00pm" or "2015-04-21 13:50"
rather than just S+ARROWS to select the day. The yellow highlighted text
will update accordingly to reflect how it's interpreting your input.
Pressing enter should insert the deadline / scheduled date AND time.

* Re: How to include time when generating timestamp for DEADLINE/SCHEDULE
@ 2015-02-12 23:16   ` Subhan Michael Tindall
From: Subhan Michael Tindall @ 2015-02-12 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dominic Surano', emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

[>]
Not really an acceptable answer. Having to use 2 different interface methods to fill in one time/date stamp value is confusing and cludgy. Plus, if you type in a full time/date stamp + time, you can still move around in the calendar, but it doesn't update the selected datestamp in yellow.  Also confusing.
I use the calendar to select a date, it works wonderfully, and quickly.   But, once a date is picked, having either a prompt or a simple picker that works with the S+ARROWS to select a time would be great, and make a much smoother interface.

@ 2015-02-13  0:36     ` Yuri Niyazov
From: Yuri Niyazov @ 2015-02-13  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Michael Tindall; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Subhan Michael Tindall
<SubhanT@familycareinc.org> wrote:
> Not really an acceptable answer. Having to use 2 different interface methods to fill in one time/date stamp value is confusing and cludgy. Plus, if you type in a full time/date stamp + time, you can still move around in the calendar, but it doesn't update the selected datestamp in yellow.  Also confusing.

Cludgy is in the eye of the beholder. I am hugely bothered by various
inconsistencies in org-mode user interface (see my other posts to this
list) but this one is very far down on the list. This is why:

When I need to schedule a date, it is sufficiently close to today's
date that it is usually 2-3 S+ARROWS keystrokes away from today, so
the calendar with "today" selected as default is great.

So, let's see how a time selector would work:

When you bring up a time selector, it could by default show one of the
following three options:

1) The current time
2) The last time you selected when you used the time selector
3) Some default configurable time like "noon"

When I need to schedule a time for an event, the time that something
needs to happen is usually not related to any times on that list, so
using S+ARROWS would be less efficient than typing out the time, which
is at most four keystrokes if its on the hour. (E.g. "10pm" ). Of
course, this is only true if you are a touch-typist.

* Re: How to include time when generating timestamp for DEADLINE/SCHEDULE
@ 2015-02-13  0:37       ` Yuri Niyazov
From: Yuri Niyazov @ 2015-02-13  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Subhan Michael Tindall; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

PS It is clear that you can *both* select the correct date using
calendar, and *then* type in the time while still in the calendar
selector, right?

@ 2015-02-13 13:14         ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2015-02-13 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 02/12/2015 07:37 PM, Yuri Niyazov wrote:
> PS It is clear that you can *both* select the correct date using
> calendar, and *then* type in the time while still in the calendar
> selector, right?
>
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Yuri Niyazov <yuri.niyazov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Subhan Michael Tindall
>> <SubhanT@familycareinc.org> wrote:
>>> Not really an acceptable answer. Having to use 2 different interface methods to fill in one time/date stamp value is confusing and cludgy. Plus, if you type in a full time/date stamp + time, you can still move around in the calendar, but it doesn't update the selected datestamp in yellow.  Also confusing.
>> Cludgy is in the eye of the beholder. I am hugely bothered by various
>> inconsistencies in org-mode user interface (see my other posts to this
>> list) but this one is very far down on the list. This is why:
>>
>> When I need to schedule a date, it is sufficiently close to today's
>> date that it is usually 2-3 S+ARROWS keystrokes away from today, so
>> the calendar with "today" selected as default is great.
>>
>> So, let's see how a time selector would work:
>>
>> When you bring up a time selector, it could by default show one of the
>> following three options:
>>
>> 1) The current time
>> 2) The last time you selected when you used the time selector
>> 3) Some default configurable time like "noon"
>>
>> When I need to schedule a time for an event, the time that something
>> needs to happen is usually not related to any times on that list, so
>> using S+ARROWS would be less efficient than typing out the time, which
>> is at most four keystrokes if its on the hour. (E.g. "10pm" ). Of
>> course, this is only true if you are a touch-typist.

Why bother with the arrow keys at all? I have a capture template for
appointments and deadlines which requests date and time. Calendar is
called. Rather than arrow keys I type the date<space>time (optional
duration) and then enter - e.g. call the template, then "2/28 13:30 (and
then enter the rest of template requests such as 'What has to be done""

Charlie Millar

Charlie Millar

* Re: How to include time when generating timestamp for DEADLINE/SCHEDULE
@ 2015-02-13 13:25           ` Charles Millar
From: Charles Millar @ 2015-02-13 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 02/13/2015 08:14 AM, Charles Millar wrote:

> On 02/12/2015 07:37 PM, Yuri Niyazov wrote:
>> PS It is clear that you can *both* select the correct date using
>> calendar, and *then* type in the time while still in the calendar
>> selector, right?
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Yuri Niyazov
>> <yuri.niyazov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Cludgy is in the eye of the beholder. I am hugely bothered by various
>>> inconsistencies in org-mode user interface (see my other posts to this
>>> list) but this one is very far down on the list. This is why:
>>>
>>> When I need to schedule a date, it is sufficiently close to today's
>>> date that it is usually 2-3 S+ARROWS keystrokes away from today, so
>>> the calendar with "today" selected as default is great.
>>>
>>> So, let's see how a time selector would work:
>>>
>>> When you bring up a time selector, it could by default show one of the
>>> following three options:
>>>
>>> 1) The current time
>>> 2) The last time you selected when you used the time selector
>>> 3) Some default configurable time like "noon"
>>>
>>> When I need to schedule a time for an event, the time that something
>>> needs to happen is usually not related to any times on that list, so
>>> using S+ARROWS would be less efficient than typing out the time, which
>>> is at most four keystrokes if its on the hour. (E.g. "10pm" ). Of
>>> course, this is only true if you are a touch-typist.
>>>

> Why bother with the arrow keys at all? I have a capture template for
> appointments and deadlines which requests date and time. Calendar is
> called. Rather than arrow keys I type the date<space>time (optional
> duration) and then enter - e.g. call the template, then "2/28 13:30
> (and then enter the rest of template requests such as 'What has to be
> done""
>
> Charlie Millar
Forgot to mention that with the deadline I also might enter a lead time

* Re: How to include time when generating timestamp for DEADLINE/SCHEDULE
@ 2015-02-14 20:09             ` Yuri Niyazov
From: Yuri Niyazov @ 2015-02-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 5:25 AM, Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Why bother with the arrow keys at all? I have a capture template for
>> appointments and deadlines which requests date and time. Calendar is called.
>> Rather than arrow keys I type the date<space>time (optional duration) and
>> then enter - e.g. call the template, then "2/28 13:30 (and then enter the
>> rest of template requests such as 'What has to be done""

Because "tomorrow" is one key combo away - Shift-Right, and you don't
have to remember today's date and add 1 to it. Likewise, "same day
next week" is one key combo away - Shift-Down", and you don't have to
add 7 to it. YMMV, but this sort of cognitive load reduction is
important to some people, including myself.