* Is it possible to markup one character in a word?
@ 2011-08-25  8:00 Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2011-08-25  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi.

Is it possible to markup one character in a word, like e*X*ecute. For
now this don't work. I tried to add ZERO WIDTH SPACE (found on mailing
list) before first * and last * like in example e​*X*​ecute but this
don't work also.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

* Re: Is it possible to markup one character in a word?
@ 2011-08-25 12:06 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-08-25 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Lomov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This seems incredibly similar to a thread that *just* took place. Take
a look at this:
--- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg45883.html

Any help there?

John

@ 2011-08-26  4:51   ` Vladimir Lomov
From: Vladimir Lomov @ 2011-08-26  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,
** John Hendy [2011-08-25 07:06:54 -0500]:

> This seems incredibly similar to a thread that *just* took place. Take
> a look at this:
> --- http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg45883.html

Thanks, I read it.

> Any help there?

Actually not much, this was example from a table (see below).

Some time ago I tried to markup a word in source block and
found that it is impossible now.
I simply insert a html-aware text between #+{begin,end}_html and that work
but this is suboptimal even if I only want to get html after export.

So, is it easy to support in markup parse code the ZERO WIDTH SPACE?

I found about ZWS here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapping_of_Unicode_characters#Word_joiners_and_separators

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi.

>> Is it possible to markup one character in a word, like e*X*ecute. For
>> now this don't work. I tried to add ZERO WIDTH SPACE (found on mailing
>> list) before first * and last * like in example e*X*ecute but this
>> don't work also.

*** Example

Imagine following example:

| Key bind   | Action                        |
|------------+-------------------------------|
|            | <29>                          |
|            | *Launch a program* (e*x*ecute) |
| W-x t      | launch terminal emulator rxvt-unicode (connect urxvtc client to running urxvt server which should be already started) |
|            | *Launch a browser* (*b*rowser) |
| W-b f      | launch =firefox=           |
... etc

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
It has been observed that one's nose is never so happy as when it is
thrust into the affairs of another, from which some physiologists have

* Re: Is it possible to markup one character in a word?
@ 2011-08-26  5:47 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-08-26  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Lomov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi.
>
> Is it possible to markup one character in a word, like e*X*ecute. For
> now this don't work. I tried to add ZERO WIDTH SPACE (found on mailing
> list) before first * and last * like in example e​*X*​ecute but this
> don't work also.

Your suggestion does work but require some customizations. This is more
like a braindump but some corrections or refinements might be needed.

1. M-x org-emphasis-regexp-components RET

2. Goto "Allowed chars in pre" and position the cursor before the last
   double-quotes and do
   - M-x ucs-insert RET ​ZERO WIDTH SPACE RET

3. Goto "Allowed chars in pre" and do as in 2.

Create string like

e|*X*|ecute

where the | stands for ZERO WIDTH SPACE

,---- C-u C-x = for ZERO WIDTH SPACE

`----

@ 2011-08-26  5:53   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-08-26  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Lomov; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> 3. Goto "Allowed chars in pre" and do as in 2.
                            ^^^
                            post

Copy-Paste error. Replace pre by post.

* Re: Is it possible to markup one character in a word?
@ 2011-08-26 12:25   ` joe
From: joe @ 2011-08-26 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Create string like
>
> e|*X*|ecute
>
> where the | stands for ZERO WIDTH SPACE

Hi,

thanks for this pragmatic solution.

What now would be interesting: how to toggle on/off a display
of those small helpers? F.e. by showing/hiding some grayed '|'
for these zero width whitesppaces?

The whitespace module seems not to support this kind of spaces.
Is there any centralized feature to show/hide those things?

As optionally too, stuff like link/link_description, emphasized
text with/without characters would be nice to be switchable
by just one single command resp. shortcut...

Thanks,
Joe.

* Re: Is it possible to markup one character in a word?
@ 2011-08-28  9:22     ` Niels Giesen
From: Niels Giesen @ 2011-08-28  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joe; +Cc: emacs-orgmode