* Move Currently clocked in task to left on modeline
@ 2019-07-22 22:35 Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2019-07-22 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

How can I move the currently clocked task to be on the left side
of my modeline in emacs?

Thanks,
--Nate

* Re: Move Currently clocked in task to left on modeline
@ 2019-07-22 23:39 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2019-07-22 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> How can I move the currently clocked task to be on the left side
> of my modeline in emacs?

The way the information ends up in the mode line is a bit convoluted:

- The main variable is `mode-line-format': you should read its doc
  string carefully.

- `mode-line-format' includes the variable `mode-line-misc-info'
  towards the end.

- `mode-line-misc-info' includes the variable `global-mode-string'
  (in a somewhat peculiar way that I don't quite understand).

- `org-clock-in', `org-clock-out' and `org-clock-cancel' affect the
  mode line by modifying the `global-mode-string' variable to append
  or delete `org-mode-line-string' to/from it and then forcing a
  mode-line update with (drum roll) `force-mode-line-update'.

- The rest of the org mode code mucks around with `org-mode-line-string'
  exclusively.

In short, there is no way to change the position of the currently
clocked task without rewriting code. You might be able to move
*all* of the org information by modifying an earlier mode-line
component (rather than `global-mode-string' which is part of the
final component). But it would not be trivial.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Move Currently clocked in task to left on modeline
@ 2019-09-04  3:53   ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2019-09-04  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode