* Custom agenda view for properties
@ 2011-07-17 12:30 Christian Zang
From: Christian Zang @ 2011-07-17 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Orgers,

despite carefully reading the manual and trying out some approaches so
far I could not figure out whether or not it is possible to have a
custom agenda view based on a header's properties. E.g. in the agenda
I can easily search for `+REVIEW="weekly"` via `C-c a m` to get a list
of all projects that need a weekly review. But is it also possible to
have a custom agenda view for that search, like

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
'(("W" "Weekly Review"
           ((tags "+REVIEW=weekly") ;; this does not work...
            (stuck "")
            (todo "SDMB") ;; review someday/maybe items
            (todo "WAIT"))) ;; review waiting items
))

?

Thanks for any comment on that; the search on gmane appears to be
currently broken, so I couldn't figure out if someone asked something
similar before.

Best,
Christian

* Re: Custom agenda view for properties
@ 2011-07-17 15:39 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-07-17 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Christian,

Christian Zang <christian.zang@wzw.tum.de> writes:

> despite carefully reading the manual and trying out some approaches so
> far I could not figure out whether or not it is possible to have a
> custom agenda view based on a header's properties.

The manual is great, but its always a good idea to also check out
Worg. In this case, have a look at:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.html#sec-3

>            ((tags "+REVIEW=weekly") ;; this does not work...

             (tags "+REVIEW=\"weekly\"") ;; not tested, but should do

Should such an example be in the manual (node (org) Storing searches ) ?

> Thanks for any comment on that; the search on gmane appears to be
> currently broken, so I couldn't figure out if someone asked something
> similar before.

Yes. Not sure whats happening there, but several people saw that
already.

When gmane is non functional (this is the first time in years this
happened for me, though),

 http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/

come in handy.

Memnon

* Re: Custom agenda view for properties
@ 2011-07-17 17:11   ` Christian Zang
From: Christian Zang @ 2011-07-17 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Memnon,

2011/7/17 Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com>:
>> despite carefully reading the manual and trying out some approaches so
>> far I could not figure out whether or not it is possible to have a
>> custom agenda view based on a header's properties.
>
> The manual is great, but its always a good idea to also check out
> Worg. In this case, have a look at:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.html#sec-3
>
>>            ((tags "+REVIEW=weekly") ;; this does not work...
>
>             (tags "+REVIEW=\"weekly\"") ;; not tested, but should do

It does, thanks a lot! Totally forgot about checking worg on that.

> Should such an example be in the manual (node (org) Storing searches ) ?
>
>> Thanks for any comment on that; the search on gmane appears to be
>> currently broken, so I couldn't figure out if someone asked something
>> similar before.
>
> Yes. Not sure whats happening there, but several people saw that
> already.
>
> When gmane is non functional (this is the first time in years this
> happened for me, though),
>
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/
>
> come in handy.

Great tip as well, thanks!

Cheers,

@ 2011-07-18  8:38   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-18  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Memnon Anon; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Memnon,

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> The manual is great, but its always a good idea to also check out
> Worg. In this case, have a look at:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.html#sec-3
>
>>            ((tags "+REVIEW=weekly") ;; this does not work...
>
>              (tags "+REVIEW=\"weekly\"") ;; not tested, but should do
>
> Should such an example be in the manual (node (org) Storing searches )
> ?

Surely -- if you can take the time, a patch would be great.

 Bastien