* inline constant substitution
@ 2014-10-12 14:41 Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2014-10-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Suppose I have:

#+CONSTANTS: foo=42

How can I make inline references to a constant on export in regular
text, rather than in a table?

I want to be able to write something like:

  The value of foo is $foo

in my org file, and then end up with:

  The value of foo is 42

when I export to LaTeX.

TIA.

* Re: inline constant substitution
@ 2014-10-12 15:05 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-10-12 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Rudin; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

Paul Rudin <paul-sqPYmOVXOov10XsdtD+oqA@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Suppose I have:
>
> #+CONSTANTS: foo=42
>
> How can I make inline references to a constant on export in regular
> text, rather than in a table?
>
> I want to be able to write something like:
>
>   The value of foo is $foo
>
> in my org file, and then end up with:
>
>   The value of foo is 42
>
> when I export to LaTeX.

Constants are for tables only. You can use a macro instead:

#+MACRO: foo 42

  The value of foo is {{{foo}}}.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: inline constant substitution
@ 2014-10-12 17:13   ` Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2014-10-12 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Nicolas Goaziou <mail-Gpy5sJQTEQHwkn9pgDnJRVAUjnlXr6A1@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Paul Rudin <paul-sqPYmOVXOov10XsdtD+oqA@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Suppose I have:
>>
>> #+CONSTANTS: foo=42
>>
>> How can I make inline references to a constant on export in regular
>> text, rather than in a table?
>>
>> I want to be able to write something like:
>>
>>   The value of foo is $foo
>>
>> in my org file, and then end up with:
>>
>>   The value of foo is 42
>>
>> when I export to LaTeX.
>
> Constants are for tables only. You can use a macro instead:
>
> #+MACRO: foo 42
>
>   The value of foo is {{{foo}}}.

Thanks. If I *also* want to use that value in a table is there a way to
do that? I experimented with:

#+TBLFM: @1$1={{{foo}}}

and

#+TBLFM: @1$1="{{{foo}}}"

But neither of those work.

* Re: inline constant substitution
@ 2014-10-13  1:00   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-10-13  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Paul Rudin, public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Should a noweb-ref be expanded as imagined inside of a table for this case?

Eg pseudo code:

,----
| #+NAME: foo
| #+begin_src emacs-lisp
| 42
| #+end_src
|

| #+NAME: ns
| |     n |
| |-------|
| |     1 |
| |     2 |
| | <<foo>> |
| |       |
`----

--
Grant Rettke
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/

* Re: inline constant substitution
@ 2014-10-13 11:51     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-10-13 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Rudin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sunday, 12 Oct 2014 at 18:13, Paul Rudin wrote:
> Thanks. If I *also* want to use that value in a table is there a way to
> do that? I experimented with:
>
> #+TBLFM: @1$1={{{foo}}}
>
> and
>
> #+TBLFM: @1$1="{{{foo}}}"
>
> But neither of those work.

What about simply:

| {{{foo}}} |

i.e. put the macro reference directly in the table?

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-408-g39f5f0

* Re: inline constant substitution
@ 2014-10-13 19:38       ` Paul Rudin
From: Paul Rudin @ 2014-10-13 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Eric S Fraga <e.fraga-hclig2XLE9Zaa/9Udqfwiw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Sunday, 12 Oct 2014 at 18:13, Paul Rudin wrote:
>> Thanks. If I *also* want to use that value in a table is there a way to
>> do that? I experimented with:
>>
>> #+TBLFM: @1$1={{{foo}}}
>>
>> and
>>
>> #+TBLFM: @1$1="{{{foo}}}"
>>
>> But neither of those work.
>
> What about simply:

> i.e. put the macro reference directly in the table?

The value gets exported to LaTeX in the table, but that apparently
happens at export time. So if you have formulae in the table that refer
to that cell they don't compute using the value.