* Multi-layer ergonomic keyboard and org-mode
@ 2017-10-26 11:33 Roland Everaert
From: Roland Everaert @ 2017-10-26 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am considering buying this quite expensive ergonomic keyboard.

https://ergodox-ez.com/

This device can manage up to 32 layers and I wonder how a regular emacs and
org-mode user would organize the layers.

This organization depends on your workflow, but their is surely some
standard key arrangement to improve our typing with our favorite editor an
module.

Regards,

Roland.

* Re: Multi-layer ergonomic keyboard and org-mode
@ 2017-10-26 18:27 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2017-10-26 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 01:33:20PM +0200, Roland Everaert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering buying this quite expensive ergonomic keyboard.
>
> https://ergodox-ez.com/
>
> This device can manage up to 32 layers and I wonder how a regular emacs and
> org-mode user would organize the layers.
>
> This organization depends on your workflow, but their is surely some standard
> key arrangement to improve our typing with our favorite editor an module.

Let me share my experience with you regarding Ergodox. It's incredibly cool! To be able to create your own programmable
keyboard is awesome. I built one with a custom case and mechanical switches, and it's great. Custom key layouts in the
firmware are awesome!

Until I discovered my hands don't fit it. I don't regret building it, but I can't use my lovely device I spent quite a
bit to make. Learn from my experience and test one hands on first.

On that note, I've been using a Kinesis Freestyle with a long binding cable for many years, and they just released a
mechanical switch version (Freestyle Edge? It's gaming branded) that also includes updates like layers. It's perfect and
exactly what I wanted.

Perhaps you should consider one of them. I'm very impressed with it.

Thanks.

* Re: Multi-layer ergonomic keyboard and org-mode
@ 2017-10-26 23:37 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2017-10-26 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Everaert; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 6:33 AM, Roland Everaert <reveatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
> This organization depends on your workflow, but their is surely some standard key arrangement to improve our typing with our favorite editor an module.

A keyboard like that easily provides more keybinding "namespaces", for
keys where c=control, m=meta, s=super, h=hyper.

For one you get a hyper key. So you go from 6 namespaces (c, m, s, cm,
cs, ms) to 24 (if you are willing to use all of the combinations).

You can easily configure a single key to be any of those 24
combinations so you don't need to worry about finger strain. For
example you can have a single key that is C-M-s-H. That namespace is
wide open. You can also add Shift to double things.

Another valuable feature is the ability to configure a key for
"strike" versus "hold". For example strike the enter key and send
enter. Hold the enter key and make it the Control modifier.

Configuring the keyboard can become a hobby in itself.