* How to use em-dash as a bullet for plain text lists?
@ 2018-06-14  3:09 Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2018-06-14  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

I want to use em-dash as a bullet for plain lists.

I read the documentation and didn't see a customization option.

I read org-list.el only enough to get a rough idea of how it
works. org-at-item-p, org-at-item-bullet-p, org-item-re seem important for
understanding the structure.

Before I go any further (studying or coding)

1. How would you go about this?
2. Is it worth me going further on figuring out how this works and how to
do it?

Sincerely,

Grant Rettke

* Re: How to use em-dash as a bullet for plain text lists?
@ 2018-06-14 14:14 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2018-06-14 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use em-dash as a bullet for plain lists.
>
> I read the documentation and didn't see a customization option.

> I read org-list.el only enough to get a rough idea of how it
> works. org-at-item-p, org-at-item-bullet-p, org-item-re seem important for
> understanding the structure.
>
> Before I go any further (studying or coding)
>
> 1. How would you go about this?
> 2. Is it worth me going further on figuring out how this works and how to
> do it?

This is not supported and I think it shouldn't be. Since its inception,
Org syntax focuses on ASCII characters. em dashes do not belong to that
class.

What could be possible, however, is to add UTF-8 characters as overlays
on top of standard bullets. I think "org-bullet" does something like
that.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: How to use em-dash as a bullet for plain text lists?
@ 2018-06-14 16:35   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2018-06-14 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-mode

Sincerely,

Grant Rettke

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 9:14 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to use em-dash as a bullet for plain lists.
> >
> > I read the documentation and didn't see a customization option.
>

> > I read org-list.el only enough to get a rough idea of how it
> > works. org-at-item-p, org-at-item-bullet-p, org-item-re seem important for
> > understanding the structure.
> >
> > Before I go any further (studying or coding)
> >
> > 1. How would you go about this?
> > 2. Is it worth me going further on figuring out how this works and how to
> > do it?
>
> This is not supported and I think it shouldn't be. Since its inception,
> Org syntax focuses on ASCII characters. em dashes do not belong to that
> class.
>
> What could be possible, however, is to add UTF-8 characters as overlays
> on top of standard bullets. I think "org-bullet" does something like
> that.

Thanks! That helps to know about its focus.

* Re: How to use em-dash as a bullet for plain text lists?
@ 2018-06-15  0:35     ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2018-06-15  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-mode

>> What could be possible, however, is to add UTF-8 characters as overlays
>> on top of standard bullets. I think "org-bullet" does something like
>> that.

This seems to work:

(font-lock-add-keywords
 'org-mode
    0 (prog1 () (compose-region (match-beginning 1) (match-end 1) "—")))))