* bug#17040: 24.3.50; Emacs + Org mode hangs
       [not found] <86lhw65j8f.fsf@somewhere.org>
@ 2014-03-19 17:03 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <8338ie9l3v.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-03-19 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: 17040

> From: Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:57:36 +0100
>
> Anyway, here's the backtrace I got:

Thanks for the effort, but as I said several times, such backtraces
are not useful without the Lisp backtrace part.  All I can say from
this backtrace is that you were deep inside some hook stored in
before-change-functions; that hook was invoked because you inserted
something into a buffer.  That is all.

What we need is names of some Lisp functions, preferably from Org,
that we could then examine in order to look for potential infloops.
That's impossible without Lisp backtrace.  To get that, you need the
.gdbinit file, and you need to instruct GDB to read it by using the
'source' command.

@ 2014-03-19 17:07 ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found]   ` <CAAeL0SReZsOA5nfMfkX4WivSgVacRw9jPbQpCzkXbjeXux4xYw__6285.99562119252$1395330721$gmane$org-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
       [not found] ` <8338ie9l3v.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2014-03-19 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: 17040

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Sebastien Vauban
<sva-news@mygooglest.com> wrote:

> I've had 5 infloops of Emacs, not less.

Where you in the minibuffer? Lately I've had a couple of weird
infloops apparently related to completion.

* bug#17040: 24.3.50; Emacs + Org mode hangs
       [not found]   ` <8338ie9l3v.fsf-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-03-20 10:30     ` Sebastien Vauban
       [not found]       ` <mailman.17657.1395333567.10748.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-03-20 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 17040-ubl+/3LiMTaZdePnXv/OxA

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
>> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:57:36 +0100
>>
>> Anyway, here's the backtrace I got:
>
> Thanks for the effort, but as I said several times, such backtraces
> are not useful without the Lisp backtrace part.  All I can say from
> this backtrace is that you were deep inside some hook stored in
> before-change-functions; that hook was invoked because you inserted
> something into a buffer.  That is all.
>
> What we need is names of some Lisp functions, preferably from Org,
> that we could then examine in order to look for potential infloops.
> That's impossible without Lisp backtrace.  To get that, you need the
> .gdbinit file, and you need to instruct GDB to read it by using the
> 'source' command.

I still have that GDB session open... So I just did it:

(gdb) source ~/.gdbinit
SIGINT is used by the debugger.
Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Warning: /cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/emacs-r114715-20131019-w32/bin/../lwlib: No such file or directory.
Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
TERM = xterm-256color
(gdb) ~/.gdbinit:1261: Error in sourced command file:
PC register is not available

Warning: /cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/emacs-r114715-20131019-w32/bin/../lwlib: No such file or directory.
SIGINT is used by the debugger.
Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xgetptr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xgetint"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xgettype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pp"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pv"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "ppt"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pitmethod"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pitx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pit"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "prowx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "prow"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pcursorx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pcursor"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pwinx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pwin"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pbiditype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pg"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgi"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgn"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgrowx"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgrow"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pgrowit"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "prowlims"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pmtxrows"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xtype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pvectype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xvectype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "pvecsize"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xvecsize"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xmisctype"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xint"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xptr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xmarker"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xoverlay"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xmiscfree"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xsymbol"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xstring"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xvector"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xprocess"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xframe"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcompiled"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xwindow"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xwinconfig"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xsubr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xchartable"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xsubchartable"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xboolvector"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xbuffer"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xhashtable"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcons"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "nextcons"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcar"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcdr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xlist"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xfloat"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xscrollbar"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xpr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xprintstr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xprintsym"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcoding"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xcharset"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xfontset"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xfont"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xbacktrace"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xprintbytestr"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xwhichsymbols"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "xbytecode"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "hookpost-backtrace"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Redefine command "ff"? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
TERM = xterm-256color
(gdb) ~/.gdbinit:1261: Error in sourced command file:
PC register is not available
xbacktrace
(gdb) PC register is not available
An error occurred while in a function called from GDB.
Evaluation of the expression containing the function
(backtrace_top) will be abandoned.
When the function is done executing, GDB will silently stop.

Though, I must admit I don't understand what's going on. Can you?

Still keeping the session open, in case...

Best regards,
  Seb

@ 2014-03-20 15:53     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-03-20 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: 17040-ubl+/3LiMTaZdePnXv/OxA

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Sebastien Vauban
> <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> I've had 5 infloops of Emacs, not less.
>
> Where you in the minibuffer? Lately I've had a couple of weird
> infloops apparently related to completion.

Honestly, I don't remember. But, for sure, I wasn't in the same
conditions the 5 times; otherwise, I'd have identified such a pattern.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* bug#17040: 24.3.50; Emacs + Org mode hangs
@ 2014-03-20 16:38       ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]       ` <mailman.17657.1395333567.10748.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2014-03-20 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: 17040

> From: Sebastien Vauban <sva-news@mygooglest.com>
> Cc: 17040@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:30:28 +0100
>
> > What we need is names of some Lisp functions, preferably from Org,
> > that we could then examine in order to look for potential infloops.
> > That's impossible without Lisp backtrace.  To get that, you need the
> > .gdbinit file, and you need to instruct GDB to read it by using the
> > 'source' command.
>
> I still have that GDB session open... So I just did it:

> (gdb) source ~/.gdbinit
> SIGINT is used by the debugger.
> Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
> Warning: /cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/emacs-r114715-20131019-w32/bin/../lwlib: No such file or directory.
> Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
> TERM = xterm-256color
> (gdb) ~/.gdbinit:1261: Error in sourced command file:
> PC register is not available
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That session is ruined, so it won't help.  This happened because you
typed "finish" after attaching the debugger; next time please don't do
that.

Since you say these problems are quite frequent, please produce the
Lisp backtrace next time this happens.

Thanks.

* bug#17040: 24.3.50; Emacs + Org mode hangs
       [not found]         ` <mailman.17657.1395333567.10748.bug-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-03-20 17:01           ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2014-03-20 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: 17040-ubl+/3LiMTaZdePnXv/OxA

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Sebastien Vauban <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org>
>> Cc: 17040-ubl+/3LiMTaZdePnXv/OxA@public.gmane.org
>> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:30:28 +0100
>>
>> > What we need is names of some Lisp functions, preferably from Org,
>> > that we could then examine in order to look for potential infloops.
>> > That's impossible without Lisp backtrace.  To get that, you need the
>> > .gdbinit file, and you need to instruct GDB to read it by using the
>> > 'source' command.
>>
>> I still have that GDB session open... So I just did it:

>> (gdb) source ~/.gdbinit
>> SIGINT is used by the debugger.
>> Are you sure you want to change it? (y or n) [answered Y; input not from terminal]
>> Warning: /cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/emacs-r114715-20131019-w32/bin/../lwlib: No such file or directory.
>> Environment variable "DISPLAY" not defined.
>> TERM = xterm-256color
>> (gdb) ~/.gdbinit:1261: Error in sourced command file:
>> PC register is not available
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> That session is ruined, so it won't help.  This happened because you
> typed "finish" after attaching the debugger; next time please don't do
> that.
>
> Since you say these problems are quite frequent, please produce the
> Lisp backtrace next time this happens.

OK, right.

Best regards,
  Seb