* differnace between
@ 2014-02-25 19:05 Xebar Saram
From: Xebar Saram @ 2014-02-25 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hya all. i cant understand what the advantages of org-id links over
internal ones?
in both cases it uses a fixed path right? its not like if i move my org
files to another PC with different paths then the links will all work?
whats the use case scenario to use org-id  over internal links?

thanks alot in advance

* Re: differnace between
@ 2014-02-25 19:24 ` Oleh
From: Oleh @ 2014-02-25 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xebar Saram; +Cc: org mode

> Hya all. i cant understand what the advantages of org-id links over internal
> ones?
> in both cases it uses a fixed path right? its not like if i move my org
> files to another PC with different paths then the links will all work? whats
> the use case scenario to use org-id  over internal links?

As far as I understand, id links are unique, so you can have multiple
headings with same name, and move them about as much you like within
current file
or multiple files. You can't do that with plain links which are *very*
inflexible
and become stale fast.

Your scenario with another PC should also work, as org will search for
the needed id
across all known org files. So as long as the file you move across different PCs
is in the search path, the links will still work.

regards,
Oleh