* #+LATEX before first heading getting ignored LaTeX output
@ 2013-11-27 23:54 Rob Stewart
From: Rob Stewart @ 2013-11-27 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am experiencing a problem in org-mode whereby a #+LATEX block before
the first heading is being ignored in the generated LaTeX. Below is a
simple example, first without export the Introduction header with
:noexport: , and then with. I realise I could use #+BEGIN_abstract ,
but this is not about abstracts.. I have lots of #+LATEX lines in a
more realistic example, i.e. acknowledgements, dedication etc.

%%%%%%%%%
#+LaTeX_CLASS: article

#+TITLE: My Title
#+AUTHOR: Joe Bloggs

#+LATEX: \begin{abstract}
This is my abstract.
#+LATEX: \end{abstract}

#+TOC: headlines 2

* Introduction                                                       :noexport:

Hello.
%%%%%%%%%

Exporting this gives:

%%%%%%%%%
% Created 2013-11-27 Wed 23:47
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\author{Joe Bloggs}
\date{\today}
\title{My Title}
\hypersetup{
  pdfkeywords={},
  pdfsubject={},
  pdfcreator={Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.3c)}}
\begin{document}

\maketitle
\tableofcontents

\begin{abstract}
This is my abstract.
\end{abstract}

\setcounter{tocdepth}{2}
\tableofcontents
% Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.3c)
\end{document}
%%%%%%%%%

However, if I switch the tag for the `Introduction` heading to
:export: , the generated LaTeX is:

%%%%%%%%%
% Created 2013-11-27 Wed 23:48
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\author{Joe Bloggs}
\date{\today}
\title{My Title}
\hypersetup{
  pdfkeywords={},
  pdfsubject={},
  pdfcreator={Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.3c)}}
\begin{document}

\maketitle
\tableofcontents

\section{Introduction}
\label{sec-1}

Hello.
% Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.3c)
\end{document}
%%%%%%%%%

Why has my \begin{abstract} .. \end{abstract} disappeared? As you can
see, I'm runing org-mode 8.2.3c, from HEAD from the git repo.

* Re: #+LATEX before first heading getting ignored LaTeX output
@ 2013-11-28  0:18 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-11-28  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Stewart; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Rob Stewart <robstewart57@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am experiencing a problem in org-mode whereby a #+LATEX block before
> the first heading is being ignored in the generated LaTeX. Below is a
> simple example, first without export the Introduction header with
> :noexport: , and then with. I realise I could use #+BEGIN_abstract ,
> but this is not about abstracts.. I have lots of #+LATEX lines in a
> more realistic example, i.e. acknowledgements, dedication etc.

I can confirm on Linux running Org-mode version 8.2.3c
(release_8.2.3c-227-g54a64f), though interestingly on Windows, I
*just* exported an analogous example to your successfully. It's
running a git version from April 2013. Rebooting into Linux and trying
on the same file removes my #+begin/end_latex section containing
specifications for fancyhdr and I no longer get my custom footer with
just one headline tagged :export:.

If I tag all headlines *except* the one of interest, it goes back to
functioning properly. I'm guessing this will require tacking back to
the right git commit and it was an intended or un-intended consequence
of some change to the exporter.

Best regards,
John