* New[er] TikZ package: pgfgantt (interest in using with org?)
@ 2011-08-04  2:28 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-08-04  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I thought I'd go ahead and just start a fresh post form the orgmode ->
tikz/gantt topic here:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/31824

Eric Fraga did a fantastic job of creating some TikZ code that could
create a gantt chart from a table. Since then, it appears that a
package was created for TikZ that would actually do all of this. It's
quite well documented and looks incredibly well done. See the
documentation here:
http://mirror.ctan.org/graphics/pgf/contrib/pgfgantt/pgfgantt.pdf

There are great examples in the documentation, and I think there's
*got* to be some way to integrate either org-mode tables or perhaps
properties somehow in creating these. I find gantt charts useful for
1) personal management and just knowing a timeline for when things
need to get done and 2) for management who wants to know these kinds
of things.

While agenda is quite helpful, there is something about seeing a
bird's eye view of everything nested together that's really slick.

Any thoughts on whether there's interest in this? There's a similar
package for ConTeXt, but I don't know anything about ConTeXt (when I
first saw it, I thought this was for LaTeX and was really puzzled
about why I couldn't get it to compile). See the following:
--- http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Gantt-tikz
--- http://www.martin-kumm.de/tex_gantt_package.php

I think the pgfgantt package does everything for basic use, and more.
I don't see a reason to go the ConTeXt route, but just provided it for
information.

This is already usable in LaTeX code blocks... but integration with
org-mode would be superb and could perhaps replace the need for Task
Juggler. It seems cleaner to me, though perhaps others get more out of
Task Juggler than just gantt charts. That's my primary interest, and
so exporting to a .tjp file and then needing to run from command line,
and then printing the html to PDF... is a bit laborious. This is right
in the org -> LaTeX workflow and really does a nice, neat job of
providing the necessary info.

Thanks for any thoughts!
John

* Re: New[er] TikZ package: pgfgantt (interest in using with org?)
@ 2011-08-30 11:51 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-08-30 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> There are great examples in the documentation, and I think there's
> *got* to be some way to integrate either org-mode tables or perhaps
> properties somehow in creating these. I find gantt charts useful for
> 1) personal management and just knowing a timeline for when things
> need to get done and 2) for management who wants to know these kinds
> of things.
>
> While agenda is quite helpful, there is something about seeing a
> bird's eye view of everything nested together that's really slick.

I agree.  I don't often use the project management aspects of TJ.  My
main use of gantt charts is for initial project planning and I use org
directly for project management.

> Any thoughts on whether there's interest in this? There's a similar
> package for ConTeXt, but I don't know anything about ConTeXt (when I
> first saw it, I thought this was for LaTeX and was really puzzled
> about why I couldn't get it to compile). See the following:
> --- http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Gantt-tikz
> --- http://www.martin-kumm.de/tex_gantt_package.php
>
> I think the pgfgantt package does everything for basic use, and more.
> I don't see a reason to go the ConTeXt route, but just provided it for
> information.
>
> This is already usable in LaTeX code blocks... but integration with
> org-mode would be superb and could perhaps replace the need for Task
> Juggler. It seems cleaner to me, though perhaps others get more out of
> Task Juggler than just gantt charts. That's my primary interest, and
> so exporting to a .tjp file and then needing to run from command line,
> and then printing the html to PDF... is a bit laborious. This is right
> in the org -> LaTeX workflow and really does a nice, neat job of
> providing the necessary info.

For my needs, a direct org to gantt chart (using the tikz package) would
be ideal.  I don't have time currently to devote to something like this
(term starts in a few weeks so more pressing needs...) but could provide
some help if somebody else takes this on.

it would be nice if the same org format/layout as used by the TJ
exporter could be used here, mind you, to allow for both the simple
gantt chart generation but also the full project management support
using the same org file.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.221.g14c6)

* Re: New[er] TikZ package: pgfgantt (interest in using with org?)
@ 2011-08-30 23:47   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-08-30 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Can gnuplot do gantt charts relatively easily?  Since org-mode already
works with gnuplot I think in some aspects might this be another useable
route to use?

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > There are great examples in the documentation, and I think there's
> > *got* to be some way to integrate either org-mode tables or perhaps
> > properties somehow in creating these. I find gantt charts useful for
> > 1) personal management and just knowing a timeline for when things
> > need to get done and 2) for management who wants to know these kinds
> > of things.
> >
> > While agenda is quite helpful, there is something about seeing a
> > bird's eye view of everything nested together that's really slick.
>
> I agree.  I don't often use the project management aspects of TJ.  My
> main use of gantt charts is for initial project planning and I use org
> directly for project management.
>
> > Any thoughts on whether there's interest in this? There's a similar
> > package for ConTeXt, but I don't know anything about ConTeXt (when I
> > first saw it, I thought this was for LaTeX and was really puzzled
> > about why I couldn't get it to compile). See the following:
> > --- http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Gantt-tikz
> > --- http://www.martin-kumm.de/tex_gantt_package.php
> >
> > I think the pgfgantt package does everything for basic use, and more.
> > I don't see a reason to go the ConTeXt route, but just provided it for
> > information.
> >
> > This is already usable in LaTeX code blocks... but integration with
> > org-mode would be superb and could perhaps replace the need for Task
> > Juggler. It seems cleaner to me, though perhaps others get more out of
> > Task Juggler than just gantt charts. That's my primary interest, and
> > so exporting to a .tjp file and then needing to run from command line,
> > and then printing the html to PDF... is a bit laborious. This is right
> > in the org -> LaTeX workflow and really does a nice, neat job of
> > providing the necessary info.
>
> For my needs, a direct org to gantt chart (using the tikz package) would
> be ideal.  I don't have time currently to devote to something like this
> (term starts in a few weeks so more pressing needs...) but could provide
> some help if somebody else takes this on.
>
> it would be nice if the same org format/layout as used by the TJ
> exporter could be used here, mind you, to allow for both the simple
> gantt chart generation but also the full project management support
> using the same org file.

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet
of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's
got God on his side."
~ Bill Hicks

* Re: New[er] TikZ package: pgfgantt (interest in using with org?)
@ 2011-08-31  0:50     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-08-31  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> Can gnuplot do gantt charts relatively easily?  Since org-mode already
> works with gnuplot I think in some aspects might this be another useable
> route to use?

http://devel.se.wtb.tue.nl/trac/shed/browser/trunk/visualization/taskresource_gnuplot_gantt

?

John