* Org Mode Research
@ 2017-01-07 18:25 Ted Wiles
From: Ted Wiles @ 2017-01-07 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Org Moders,

I'm doing some research on org mode usage and would love to hear your
perspective. Here's the survey link:

https://goo.gl/forms/9I0uL3Er2TuEszfH3

If I get enough responses, I'll be happy to post the results online for all
to see!

Best Regards,
Ted

* Re: Org Mode Research
@ 2017-01-07 19:39 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2017-01-07 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Wiles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

FYI, the survey appears to be market research for non-GPL vaporware.

Ted Wiles writes:

> Org Moders,
>
> I'm doing some research on org mode usage and would love to hear your
> perspective. Here's the survey link:
>
> https://goo.gl/forms/9I0uL3Er2TuEszfH3

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Org Mode Research
@ 2017-01-07 19:54   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2017-01-07 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ted Wiles

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> FYI, the survey appears to be market research for non-GPL vaporware.

Why the assumption of non-GPL? Just because web-based Org is hinted at
and leading/feature hunting questions are a common trait of someone
not wanting to reveal a commercial project? Theoretically it could
just be a hobby project being looked into, right? Just curious.

John

> Ted Wiles writes:
>
>> Org Moders,
>>
>> I'm doing some research on org mode usage and would love to hear your
>> perspective. Here's the survey link:
>>
>> https://goo.gl/forms/9I0uL3Er2TuEszfH3
>
> All the best,
> Tom
>
> --
> Thomas S. Dye
> http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Org Mode Research
@ 2017-01-07 20:16     ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2017-01-07 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy, Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-org list, Ted Wiles

I find that project interesting, and something that could bridge the gap
between emacs and non-emacs org mode users.

What suggests that this is non-GPL and 'vaporware'?

@Ted: It would be nice if this can be developed as part of GNU org-mode.

@ 2017-01-07 20:43 ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2017-01-07 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Wiles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello

On Sat, Jan 07 2017, Ted Wiles wrote:

> Org Moders,
>
> I'm doing some research on org mode usage and would love to hear your perspective. Here's the
> survey link:
>
> https://goo.gl/forms/9I0uL3Er2TuEszfH3
>
> If I get enough responses, I'll be happy to post the results online for all to see!
>
> Best Regards,
> Ted

I would want to see much more information about the motive and people
behind the Survey before I would take part. Sorry.

* Re: Org Mode Research
@ 2017-01-07 21:19       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2017-01-07 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-org list, Ted Wiles

Aloha Kaushal Modi,

Kaushal Modi writes:

> I find that project interesting, and something that could bridge the gap
> between emacs and non-emacs org mode users.
>
> What suggests that this is non-GPL and 'vaporware'?

No mention of GPL, still looking at which features of Org mode to be
implemented.

Ted can correct me if my impression is wrong.

I agree with you the project is interesting.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Org Mode Research
@ 2017-01-07 21:28   ` Ted Wiles
From: Ted Wiles @ 2017-01-07 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin Baxter; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks all!

For context, I just started implementing org-mode workplanning at my job
(personal user since 2007) and it's increased my productivity 10x. As I
manage others I was curious about hearing about how others use org-mode in
a team setting. While I was at it, I thought that it would be helpful and
interesting to get a gut-check on the basic idea I was thinking of
implementing to collaborate with my team.

Some preliminary findings of interest:

- Tags are unpopular, only 56% of people use them. Especially surprising as
70% use source-code blocks.
- Largest barrier to further org mode usage is a lack of emacs expertise.
Not really a surprise here.
- 75% of people put their org-mode files under git version control.
- We are all big promoters of using org-mode with the people we work with,
and highly skeptical of their ability and desire to realize these benefits
:)
- mobile and calendar integration have come up as major pains multiple
times in free responses

I am hoping to condense findings into a pithy summary and post on github
(or worg, although I've never figured out how to do that easily) so that
everyone can see.

I also think the term "market research" significantly overestimates my
ability / desire to execute on this :) I get the concern on GPL vs.
non-GPL, I also really like org mode as it fundamentally gives me control
over my own data, but given where this is right now (a google forms survey)
I think it's kind of a moot discussion.

And yes, I know that the survey isn't very good, and that there are typos,
and that certain things could have been asked better! I have made some
revisions incorporating some of these comments.

Thanks again,
Ted

@ 2017-01-07 23:06     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2017-01-07 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Wiles; +Cc: Colin Baxter, emacs-orgmode

Aloha Ted,

Ted Wiles writes:

> I also think the term "market research" significantly overestimates my
> ability / desire to execute on this :)

I'm curious why you chose to introduce your survey as "I'm doing
a market research project on org mode users ..." if you think the term
overestimates your ability and/or desire to execute?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Org Mode Research
@ 2017-01-07 23:47     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2017-01-07 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Wiles; +Cc: Colin Baxter, emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Ted Wiles <theodore.wiles@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks all!

[snip]

> I get the concern on GPL vs. non-GPL,
> I also really like org mode as it fundamentally gives me control over my own
> data, but given where this is right now (a google forms survey) I think it's
> kind of a moot discussion.

But which is it; you get the concern but don't answer either way? I
take this to imply that if this *does* bloom into something it will be
non-GPL?

John