* A more "universal markup" for exporters with italics/quotes?
@ 2011-10-18 20:14 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-10-18 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In reading the recent request to specify fonts for ODT, I was reminded
of a recent problem I had. I'm writing a longer-ish document (ended up
at about 15 pages) and am primarily typesetting with LaTeX to PDF. In
sending it to others for feedback, however, they wanted something
editable for comments, so I used the ODT exporter for the first time.
Two things didn't work so well:

- italics: org doesn't handle multiple line italics in between / and
/. Thus, I use \emph{}. These didn't work with the odt exporter (nor
would they with other exporters).

- quotes: I like to indent and do interesting things with quotes. My
current preference is something like so:
#+begin_org
\begin{tabular}{p{0.5cm}p{0.85\textwidth}}
  & \emph{here is my long quote...} \\
\end{tabular}
#+end_org

That also doesn't work with export to other formats.

Could there be something like #+begin_quote or some other more
"universal" indicator of italics (or other text modifiers like bold or
underline) that would work more universally? I'm thinking:
-- LaTeX: be able to specify style for quote or just use
\begin{quote}, org italic markup -> \emph{}
-- odt: quote -> indented block?, italics -> italics
-- others?

Just some thoughts.

John

* Re: A more "universal markup" for exporters with italics/quotes?
@ 2011-10-19  7:25 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2011-10-19  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On 10/18/11 10:14 PM, John Hendy wrote:

> - italics: org doesn't handle multiple line italics in between / and
> /.

Tip: You can customize org-emphasis-regexp-components to accept more
than one newline.

> Could there be something like #+begin_quote

There is! It makes blockquotes. Just go ahead and use it.

Yours,
Christian