From: John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com>
To: "Andreas Röhler" <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de>
Cc: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
	Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: org-babel header documentation
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:23:45 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Andreas Röhler
<andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> wrote:
> Am 26.03.2013 16:35, schrieb Eric Schulte:
>>
>> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I tend to agree. I typically just follow the matching tutorial for
>>> whatever language I'm using and stick to it... but I don't always
>>> understand (like why I need =:results output graphics= in R vs. just
>>> output). Perhaps you could inquire about a particular header setting,
>>> someone could respond, and you could add the info to Worg somewhere
>>> (something like a "layman's guide to header arguments")?
>>>

>> The evolution of the code block functionality over the years has been
>> driven almost exclusively by this mailing list.  The best way to find
>> the reasoning behind any particular baroque combination of header
>> arguments is to search through the archives of this list.
>>
>> Sadly we don't do a good enough job of ensuring that the content
>> generated here makes its way to Worg.  I'm certainly guilty of this
>> myself, but there are only so many hours in the day.
>>

> Hi Eric,
>
> thanks a lot BTW for all you've done.
>
> What about to have a list editable for all interested
> w/ comments to all header args in alphabetical order?
>
> Might participate and write it down the way it's understood.
> You and others may correct it on the fly.
>
> Maybe someone starts a headers.org in Worg?

I'm happy to help with this. Will take me a bit to get to (~1wk), but
could definitely help. I'm really trying to help more with Worg as my
return for all the code and support others write. One problem with
this, though, is that some of these are language specific. I ran into
this before:
- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-07/msg00260.html

So... this table might be more complicated than you realize, unless
you're only talking about system-wide arguments.

John