From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl>
To: Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>
Cc: emacs-orgmode emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Defaults for Org variables
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:37:46 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sep 17, 2009, at 12:06 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@uva.nl> writes:
>>> (defun sr-org-todo-state-toggled()
>>> "Start the clock, if the state of a todo item changes to 'STARTED'."
>>> (if(string= "STARTED" state)
>>>     (org-clock-in)
>>>   (org-clock-out-if-current)))
>>>
>>> (setq org-after-todo-state-change-hook 'sr-org-todo-state-toggled)
>>
>> I don't think this can be the default, I am not sure all people
>> would use it like this.  Bernt, for example, has many STARTED entries
>> around at any time.
>

> Same here. But working on exactly one at a time.
>
> The hook function works only on the one task I toggle.
>
> If I stop working on an STARTED task that is not yet finished, I use
> `C-c C-x C-o' to clock out.
>
> Switching a task from TODO to STARTED means I'm starting to work on
> it,
> and therefor I want to clock in.
>
> Switching the task to `DONE' means I'm done with it, and therefor I
> want
> to clock out.
>

> I found this on the list or somewhere, and it's exactly useful if, you
> need/want to clock each task you work on.
> Well, clocking work time is my primary use case for Org-mode.
>
> I never switched tasks using the modeline menu yet. Maybe an
> additional
> function is needed to clock out the current task and clock in the next
> one, I don't know.  I tend to go back to the entry and add some notes,
> e.g. how a problem was solved, and clock out then.

I see.  Still, while this is very useful, it is still quite workflow
dependent...

- Carsten

>>> I have to admit, that I'm not aware of the defaults anymore
>>> (didn't use
>>> them since a year or so). I'll have to create another user on my
>>> system,
>>> to check :)
>>
>> Or just call org-submit-bug-report which will show you all your non-
>> default
>> settings, including hooks.
>
> Ahh, that's a great tip.
> Looking at the bug report, I cannot believe I set that many values
> myself.
> But, yes, it seems I did :)
>

>  Sebastian

PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS
prof.dr. Carsten Dominik				dominik@uva.nl
Astronomical Institute 'Anton Pannekoek' 	 	www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik
Faculty of Science, University of Amsterdam		phone 	+31-20-5257477/7491
SCIENCE PARK 904, ROOM C4-106			fax   	+31-20-5257484
1098 XH Amsterdam, The Netherlands
mail: PO BOX 94249, 1090GE, Amsterdam