* merging column view headings across files
@ 2010-08-26  0:21 Neil Hepburn
From: Neil Hepburn @ 2010-08-26  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings all,

I have column view configured differently in several different org files. In some the columns include things like priority and tags, another file has columns like blocker and so on. When I do an agenda search for special todo keywords (in particular "STALLED") the search returns those dreaded stalled projects, which of course include some things from each org file.  If I switch to column view, it seems to use the column definitions in place for the first thing on the list. So, if a todo.org item is the first thing on the list the column headings are those defined in the todo.org file. However, there are things from project specific files (where i use the "BLOCKER" property to keep track of what's connected to what), and the column view heading for "BLOCKER" does not appear.

Anyone have any bright ideas on how I can keep separate column view definitions in each org file but have them some how magically combined in column-view look at my agenda?

Cheers,
Neil

Neil Hepburn, Lecturer in Economics
Department of Social Sciences, Augustana Faculty
University of Alberta
4901-46 Avenue
Camrose, Alberta  T4V 2R3

Phone (780) 679-1588
email nhepburn@ualberta.ca

No trees were harmed in creating this message. (However, millions of electrons were terribly disturbed.)

* Re: merging column view headings across files
@ 2010-08-31  7:34 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-08-31  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Hepburn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 26, 2010, at 2:21 AM, Neil Hepburn wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I have column view configured differently in several different org
> files. In some the columns include things like priority and tags,
> another file has columns like blocker and so on. When I do an agenda
> search for special todo keywords (in particular "STALLED") the
> search returns those dreaded stalled projects, which of course
> include some things from each org file.  If I switch to column view,
> it seems to use the column definitions in place for the first thing
> on the list. So, if a todo.org item is the first thing on the list
> the column headings are those defined in the todo.org file. However,
> there are things from project specific files (where i use the
> "BLOCKER" property to keep track of what's connected to what), and
> the column view heading for "BLOCKER" does not appear.
>
> Anyone have any bright ideas on how I can keep separate column view
> definitions in each org file but have them some how magically
> combined in column-view look at my agenda?

Hi Neil,

you can set the variable `org-agenda-overriding-columns-format',
either globally, or in the options section of a custom agenda command.

HTH

- Carsten