* OT: spelling dictionary on Mac OS, and apple script
@ 2009-06-05  7:12 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-05  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

this is really off-topic, but I thought I might try, giving the
amount of smart people here.

I'm sure all of you know by now how bad a typist/speller I am.
A small part of this problem is that I write constantly in
three language, Dutch, German, and English.  Therefore I have
my spell checker on my Mac Powerbook set to "Multilingual".  So
this spell checker will accept "adres" and "address" and
"adresse" all as correctly spelled :-(

I cannot be bothered to use the mouse to change the dictionary
all the time.  I would, however, use a hotkey to switch
dictionaries.  Does anyone here know how to do this, maybe
using applescript?

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: OT: spelling dictionary on Mac OS, and apple script
@ 2009-06-05 11:30 ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-06-05 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 5 Jun 2009, at 08:12, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> I'm sure all of you know by now how bad a typist/speller I am.
> A small part of this problem is that I write constantly in
> three language, Dutch, German, and English.  Therefore I have
> my spell checker on my Mac Powerbook set to "Multilingual".  So
> this spell checker will accept "adres" and "address" and
> "adresse" all as correctly spelled :-(
>
> I cannot be bothered to use the mouse to change the dictionary
> all the time.  I would, however, use a hotkey to switch
> dictionaries.  Does anyone here know how to do this, maybe
> using applescript?

Have a look at the script at the end of this thread:

http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=28285&p=2

I haven't tested it as I rarely have to venture outside English, but
it looks promising. UI scripting is a right royal pain in the back.

HTH,

Christopher

* Re: OT: spelling dictionary on Mac OS, and apple script
@ 2009-06-06  6:05   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-06  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 5, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Christopher Suckling wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2009, at 08:12, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
>> I'm sure all of you know by now how bad a typist/speller I am.
>> A small part of this problem is that I write constantly in
>> three language, Dutch, German, and English.  Therefore I have
>> my spell checker on my Mac Powerbook set to "Multilingual".  So
>> this spell checker will accept "adres" and "address" and
>> "adresse" all as correctly spelled :-(
>>
>> I cannot be bothered to use the mouse to change the dictionary
>> all the time.  I would, however, use a hotkey to switch
>> dictionaries.  Does anyone here know how to do this, maybe
>> using applescript?
>
> Have a look at the script at the end of this thread:
>
> http://macscripter.net/viewtopic.php?id=28285&p=2

Wow, this will take me a moment to get to work, but I will try

Thanks for the pointer!

- Carsten