* Changing TODO state to DONE does not stop clock in frame
@ 2009-03-19 12:26 Chris Randle
From: Chris Randle @ 2009-03-19 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

I have one giant Org-mode file for everything. I frequently use `C-c C-x
b' to take the current node and show it in a new frame with narrow
subtree so that I can concentrate on just that region of my file. Rather
like hoist in GrandView, if anyone remembers that.

My Org Manual (6.24b) says "The indirect buffer...will contain the
entire buffer, but will be narrowed to the current tree. Editing the
indirect buffer will also change the original buffer, but without
affecting visibility in that buffer.

I've noticed that, when working in the new frame, changing the TODO
state of any item within the frame to DONE (when it is the currently
clocked in item) does not stop the clock. Going back to my main frame
and doing the same thing there on the same item does stop the clock.

I haven't altered `org-clock-out-when-done', and Emacs reports its value
as t.

Is this something that's easily fixed/modified?

--
Chris Randle
Windows XP Pro SP3 - GNU Emacs 22.1.1 - Org-mode 6.24b

* Re: Changing TODO state to DONE does not stop clock in frame
@ 2009-03-21 12:57 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-21 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Randle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am no able to reproduce this.  Can anyone else try, please?

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-21 20:43   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-03-21 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I am no able to reproduce this.  Can anyone else try, please?
>
> - Carsten

I just tested it (with org from the git repo). The problem seems to
occur when a clock is started on an item before the indirect buffer is
created. In other words, the clock did not stop when I followed these
steps:

   1. Clocked into an item.

   2. Created an indirect buffer.

   3. Clocked out within the indirect buffer.

The clock did stop when I *both* clocked in and out within the indirect
buffer.

- Matt

* Re: Changing TODO state to DONE does not stop clock in frame
@ 2009-03-22 15:45     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-22 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

On Mar 21, 2009, at 9:43 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

>> On Mar 19, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Chris Randle wrote:
>
>>> I've noticed that, when working in the new frame, changing the TODO
>>> state of any item within the frame to DONE (when it is the currently
>>> clocked in item) does not stop the clock. Going back to my main
>>> frame
>>> and doing the same thing there on the same item does stop the clock.
>
> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> I am no able to reproduce this.  Can anyone else try, please?
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> I just tested it (with org from the git repo). The problem seems to
> occur when a clock is started on an item before the indirect buffer is
> created. In other words, the clock did not stop when I followed these
> steps:
>
>   1. Clocked into an item.
>
>   2. Created an indirect buffer.
>
>   3. Clocked out within the indirect buffer.

I am still unable to reproduce this.

- Carsten

* Re: Changing TODO state to DONE does not stop clock in frame
@ 2009-03-23 11:07       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-03-23 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I can reprouce this.

Could this be related to some obsolete configuration values?

I have no buffer-local TODO setup. I always use

  (setq org-todo-keywords (quote ("TODO" "STARTED" "|" "DONE" "CANCELED(c@)")))

but still, `org-done-keywords' is nil.
Thus `DONE' is never a member of `org-done-keywords' in org-clock.el.

That's why I believe.

Regards,

   Sebastian

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>>
>>> I am no able to reproduce this.  Can anyone else try, please?
>>>
>>> - Carsten
>>
>> I just tested it (with org from the git repo). The problem seems to
>> occur when a clock is started on an item before the indirect buffer is
>> created. In other words, the clock did not stop when I followed these
>> steps:
>>
>>   1. Clocked into an item.
>>
>>   2. Created an indirect buffer.
>>
>>   3. Clocked out within the indirect buffer.
>

> I am still unable to reproduce this.
>
> - Carsten

Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Email: s.rose@emma-stil.de, sebastian_rose@gmx.de
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* RE: Changing TODO state to DONE does not stop clock in frame
@ 2009-03-23 12:44   ` Chris Randle
From: Chris Randle @ 2009-03-23 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Carsten Dominik', emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> I am no able to reproduce this.  Can anyone else try, please?

> On Mar 19, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Chris Randle wrote:

Thanks for looking into this for me. I was worried that it may be
something odd in my setup, but I don't think so. Full version info in my
sig below. I can reproduce the problem with the following fairly simple
steps:

I stripped my .emacs down until it consisted of just this line:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp")

I created a file called test-clock.org, which consisted of everything
between - but not including - the equals signs below:

======================
* Item 1
* Item 2
** TODO Something
   Now is the time
* Item 3
======================

I fired up Emacs and loaded test-clock.org using `C-x C-f'

I then did `M-x org-mode'

I fully expanded the contents with 'C-u C-u C-u TAB'

I put my cursor on the "Item 2" line

I did 'C-c C-x b'

This opened the subtree in a secondary buffer in a new window.
Originally my problem was with frames, but it seems that windows makes
no difference.

I switched to the secondary window with 'C-x o'

I put my cursor on the "TODO Something" line

I did 'C-c C-x C-i'

I did 'C-c C-t'

At this point the TODO item was marked DONE, but the item was still
clocked in.

If I repeated the experiment, but didn't open a secondary buffer, then
the marking of the TODO as DONE clocked the item out, as expected.

Hope this helps, and thanks again.

--
Chris Randle

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Emacs-version: GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-06-02 on
RELEASE
Org-version: Org-mode version 6.24b

* Re: Changing TODO state to DONE does not stop clock in frame
@ 2009-03-23 13:50     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-03-23 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Randle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, 'Carsten Dominik'

Chris: Sorry about the second copy of this - I forgot to cc the list.

"Chris Randle" <chris@amlog.co.uk> writes:

> I stripped my .emacs down until it consisted of just this line:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode/lisp")

You also need

(require 'org-install)

I think.

-Bernt

* Re: Changing TODO state to DONE does not stop clock in frame
@ 2009-03-23 20:04     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-23 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Randle; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, 'Carsten Dominik'

Hi Chris,l

thanks for the walk-through.  As usually, that did it.

indeed, there was a bug, which is fixed now.

Thanks also to everyone who contributed with additional checking.

- Carsten