* Text emphasize with fill-paragraph ?
@ 2014-02-21 15:31 Martin Leduc
From: Martin Leduc @ 2014-02-21 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi all,

  I don't know whether it is a bug, an unimplemented feature or simply that I use it wrongly, but I can't emphasize text (with // ** or _ _) within a filled paragraph. Moreover, sometime I get it to work but I'm not sure how to reproduce.

Thanks,
Martin

* Re: Text emphasize with fill-paragraph ?
@ 2014-02-25 14:22 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-02-25 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Leduc; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I remember a post from some time ago, where someone reported that this
kind of formatting only worked for filled paragraphs under 3 lines
long. Sadly I cannot find said post now. Is this the same for you?

I don't know if this a bug or not.

On 2014-02-21 16:31 Martin Leduc wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I don't know whether it is a bug, an unimplemented feature or simply
> that I use it wrongly, but I can't emphasize text (with // ** or _ _)
> within a filled paragraph. Moreover, sometime I get it to work but I'm
> not sure how to reproduce.
>
> Thanks,
> Martin

 Alexander Baier

* Re: Text emphasize with fill-paragraph ?
@ 2014-02-25 14:54   ` Martin Leduc
From: Martin Leduc @ 2014-02-25 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Baier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

 to be more specific, I can emphasize a maximum of two lines within a filled paragraph of any length.

Thanks, now I can reproduce, at least... ;)

@ 2014-02-25 15:49     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-02-25 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Martin Leduc <mart_00@hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>  to be more specific, I can emphasize a maximum of two lines within a filled paragraph of any length.
>
> Thanks, now I can reproduce, at least... ;)

If you want more, you need to customize org-emphasis=regexp-components,
in particular the maximum number of newlines allowed.  The doc says:

,----
| org-emphasis-regexp-components is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is (" 	('\"{" "- 	.,:!?;'\")}\\" "
| ,\"'" "." 1)
|
| Documentation:
| Components used to build the regular expression for emphasis.
| This is a list with five entries.  Terminology:  In an emphasis string
| like " *strong word* ", we call the initial space PREMATCH, the final
| space POSTMATCH, the stars MARKERS, "s" and "d" are BORDER characters
| and "trong wor" is the body.  The different components in this variable
| specify what is allowed/forbidden in each part:
|
| pre          Chars allowed as prematch.  Beginning of line will be allowed too.
| post         Chars allowed as postmatch.  End of line will be allowed too.
| border       The chars *forbidden* as border characters.
| body-regexp  A regexp like "." to match a body character.  Don't use
|              non-shy groups here, and don't allow newline here.
| newline      The maximum number of newlines allowed in an emphasis exp.
|
| You need to reload Org or to restart Emacs after customizing this.
`----

Also check Oleh's method of customizing this variable: it's much less
error prone than doing it by hand. See

   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/82571/focus=82669

>> From: lexi.baier@gmail.com
>> To: mart_00@hotmail.com
>> CC: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
>> Subject: Re: Text emphasize with fill-paragraph ?
>> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 15:22:32 +0100
>>
>> I remember a post from some time ago, where someone reported that this
>> kind of formatting only worked for filled paragraphs under 3 lines
>> long. Sadly I cannot find said post now. Is this the same for you?
>>
>> I don't know if this a bug or not.
>>
>> On 2014-02-21 16:31 Martin Leduc wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I don't know whether it is a bug, an unimplemented feature or simply
>> > that I use it wrongly, but I can't emphasize text (with // ** or _ _)
>> > within a filled paragraph. Moreover, sometime I get it to work but I'm
>> > not sure how to reproduce.

Nick