* installation questions
@ 2012-05-19 15:12 Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-05-19 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings!!

I run "make oldorg" to generate org-install.el and have following in my init
file, everything is working fine(I believe).

     (require 'org-install)

I have few questions about installation procedure though.

1. Is the above snippet is all that is needed to load org.?
   suppose I want to use org-inlinetask.el, It seems I need to have

      (require 'org-inlinetask)
      or
      (add-to-list 'org-modules 'org-inlinetask)

   or is there better way.?

   IMO org-modules variable can be documented in the installation section[1]
   for better visibility.

2. I see few interactive functions are present in source files(for eg.,
   org-inlinetask-promote) with no autoload cookies and thus not generated in
   org-install.el.  I thought its good idea to put autoload cookie for every
   interactive function. what is the rationale for autoload cookies in emacs.?

   I am asking this because if those functions have autoload(ed) I wouldn't
   (probably) need extra configuration in my init file.

3. why is contrib folder not byte compiled with make.? It seems there is no
   argument for make to do this.

Thanks.,

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation

--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు
YYR

* Re: installation questions
@ 2012-05-19 15:36 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-05-19 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala writes:
> 1. Is the above snippet is all that is needed to load org.?

The "public" interfaces of org should all be autoloaded, IMHO.  Bastien
may be able to answer why some of the interactive functions are not
autoloaded (my guess is that they may need some initialization, but it
may purely be an oversight).

> 3. why is contrib folder not byte compiled with make.? It seems there is no
>    argument for make to do this.

The build system is for org core.  If you want to install something from
contrib, please copy the file into the lisp directory (you can try them
out without byte-compilation by simply loading the files in question).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: installation questions
@ 2012-05-20  8:42   ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-05-20  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello Achim,
Thank you for the reply,

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala writes:
>> 1. Is the above snippet is all that is needed to load org.?
>
> The "public" interfaces of org should all be autoloaded, IMHO.  Bastien
> may be able to answer why some of the interactive functions are not
> autoloaded (my guess is that they may need some initialization, but it
> may purely be an oversight).

ok.

>> 3. why is contrib folder not byte compiled with make.? It seems there is no
>>    argument for make to do this.
>
> The build system is for org core.  If you want to install something from
> contrib, please copy the file into the lisp directory (you can try them
> out without byte-compilation by simply loading the files in question).

Understood. I will add "require" in my init files for needed modules.

Thanks.,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు
YYR

* Re: installation questions
@ 2012-07-05 14:38   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-07-05 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Achim and Yagnesh,

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala writes:
>> 1. Is the above snippet is all that is needed to load org.?
>
> The "public" interfaces of org should all be autoloaded, IMHO.  Bastien
> may be able to answer why some of the interactive functions are not
> autoloaded (my guess is that they may need some initialization, but it
> may purely be an oversight).

This is purely an oversight.

If some interactive functions need an autoload cookie, please let me
know.  I'm not sure a systematic approach is good here.

 Bastien