* New user, my use case, request basic advice
@ 2012-09-17 19:03 David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2012-09-17 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I'm gradually getting accustomed to org-mode; thanks to all those whose
work makes this great software keep getting even better.

I've been trying to figure out how to integrate org-mode into my gadgets
and my situation, and realize that I've been thinking about it upside
down. The missing piece of the puzzle, for me, the thing I don't know
how to accomplish, is the most important one to have. So, here's what
I've got and what I'm trying to do:

- Working at home part of the time, usually near the computer; and at
  various other locations the rest of the time, NOT near a computer.

- Android phone, with root access and (often) able to use wi-fi at work

- Home computer, with internet access obviously

- Off-site web server where I'm free to install and run whatever is necessary

- No laptops or tablets, and none planned. Got more than enough
  machinery already. :)

My main goals:

1. I need audible alerts from my phone for appointments & reminders
   when I'm away from home. I don't really mind how those are
   accomplished, but I have to hear a sound of some kind at the
   appropriate times. I can't be counted on to check my phone
   periodically - I need the phone to "check" me instead, or I'll forget
   a lot of things. For example, I'm very attracted to 0rg-notify, but
   have no clue how to transfer that functionality onto the phone. (SSH
   the phone onto the server and run emacs on there? But I don't even
   know if that would give audible alerts.)

2. I need a way (any reasonable way) of keeping the home computer's
   appointments & reminders, and the phone's appointments & reminders,
   in sync. Automatic sync is nice but definitely not a requirement - I
   can sync manually if needed. (MobileOrg the obvious choice? or
   something else?)

3. In all of this, I want to maximize use of org-mode/gnus/emacs and
   associated tools, and minimize use of other tools.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice on how this might be done.

--
David Rogers

* Re: New user, my use case, request basic advice
@ 2012-09-17 19:24 ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2012-09-17 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> writes:

Hi David:

> My main goals:
>
> 1. I need audible alerts from my phone for appointments & reminders
>    when I'm away from home. I don't really mind how those are
>    accomplished, but I have to hear a sound of some kind at the
>    appropriate times. I can't be counted on to check my phone
>    periodically - I need the phone to "check" me instead, or I'll forget
>    a lot of things. For example, I'm very attracted to 0rg-notify, but
>    have no clue how to transfer that functionality onto the phone. (SSH
>    the phone onto the server and run emacs on there? But I don't even
>    know if that would give audible alerts.)
>
> 2. I need a way (any reasonable way) of keeping the home computer's
>    appointments & reminders, and the phone's appointments & reminders,
>    in sync. Automatic sync is nice but definitely not a requirement - I
>    can sync manually if needed. (MobileOrg the obvious choice? or
>    something else?)

Since you use Android, the solution is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matburt.mobileorg&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5tYXRidXJ0Lm1vYmlsZW9yZyJd

in conjunction with org-mobile.el, which is part of org-mode. Please
read the manual:

http://orgmode.org/manual/MobileOrg.html

Cheers,
Charles

--
How do I type "for i in *.dvi do xdvi i done" in a GUI?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of interfaces.)

* Re: New user, my use case, request basic advice
@ 2012-09-27  4:46 ` Erik Hetzner
From: Erik Hetzner @ 2012-09-27  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: David Rogers