* Re: links and ID properties
       [not found] <87oceaosuf.fsf@pellet..net>
@ 2010-07-21 13:06 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-21 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 14, 2010, at 7:50 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> In addition to using org-mode for scheduling and email integration and
> all that, I've had great success setting up a translation environment
> I'm finally pleased with. I keep vocabulary items in a separate file,
> and then create links from vocabulary items into the actual text I'm
> translating.
>
> I've switched computers recently and in the process something has gone
> wrong with the vocab links. So far as I know, org-link-to-org-use-id
> has
> always had its default value of create-if-interactive-and-no-custom-
> id,
> but now calling org-store-link no longer creates an ID property on the
> target headline (there's no custom id).

It does for me.

> Furthermore, the following the links from the text back into the
> vocabulary file won't find the right targets: following links that I
> created before I moved computers (when it still created the ID
> property)
> say "no match" for the link (though the ID value is correct for both
> target and link), and new links I've made (where no ID is created),
> just
> find the top of the vocabulary file, not the actual vocabulary item (a
> heading) within the file.
>
> Storing links to a particular vocab item creates a link entry like
> this:
>
> file:~/Documents/text/vocab.org::* (综合二处)
>
> That particular text is a third-level heading, but following this link
> just puts me at the top of the file.
>
> I was using the git head version of org on both the old machine and
> this
> one, but now I'm using emacs 23.2, where I was using emacs 24. The
> vocab
> file is in the same directory as the text file, but none of these are
> org agenda files. I don't know what else might be causing this
> problem!

First of all, I suspect that maybe you are not running the version of
Org-mode you think you are.
What does M-x org-version return?

Second, you can try to recreate the file that links IDs to files.
Just load
all the relevant Org files into Emacs and then run

M-x org-id-update-id-locations RET

Does this help?

- Carsten

> ----
>
> On a semi-related topic, I've seen a couple of threads here recently
> about using links to pull content from other places into the file
> containing the links -- presumably something that would happen upon
> export. I think something along these lines could be very useful -- in
> my case I could choose a final translation of a certain term after all
> the text is translated, then when I export the text, the proper
> English
> translation is substituted into all locations that link to that term.
> This could also be used to create "master files" that pull in content
> from other places: importing subtrees, or creating \input or \include
> statements in the case of LaTeX export.
>
> Presumably this would involve a new link type (say "include") that
> points to a file or heading. When the org file is exported, that
> file or
> heading would be dragged in to replace the link text. If the heading
> be included had a special property (say "INCLUDE_AS"), the value of
> that
> property would be included instead of the text of the heading.
>
> Anyway, this is just a possibilty -- perhaps it can already be done!
> I'd
> be interested in hearing what people think.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

- Carsten

* Re: links and ID properties
@ 2010-07-21 15:55   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-07-21 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On Jul 14, 2010, at 7:50 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> In addition to using org-mode for scheduling and email integration and
>> all that, I've had great success setting up a translation environment
>> I'm finally pleased with. I keep vocabulary items in a separate file,
>> and then create links from vocabulary items into the actual text I'm
>> translating.
>>
>> I've switched computers recently and in the process something has gone
>> wrong with the vocab links. So far as I know, org-link-to-org-use-id
>> has
>> always had its default value of create-if-interactive-and-no-custom-
>> id,
>> but now calling org-store-link no longer creates an ID property on the
>> target headline (there's no custom id).
>
> It does for me.

[...]

> First of all, I suspect that maybe you are not running the version of
> Org-mode you think you are.
> What does M-x org-version return?
>
> Second, you can try to recreate the file that links IDs to files.
> Just load
> all the relevant Org files into Emacs and then run
>
> M-x org-id-update-id-locations RET

After tracking down that command, It seems the only problem is that I
didn't have org-id in org-modules. I don't think I've ever had it in
there (did it use to get loaded by default?), but adding it solved my
problems.

Thanks!
Eric

> Does this help?
>
> - Carsten
>

>> ----
>>
>> On a semi-related topic, I've seen a couple of threads here recently
>> about using links to pull content from other places into the file
>> containing the links -- presumably something that would happen upon
>> export. I think something along these lines could be very useful -- in
>> my case I could choose a final translation of a certain term after all
>> the text is translated, then when I export the text, the proper
>> English
>> translation is substituted into all locations that link to that term.
>> This could also be used to create "master files" that pull in content
>> from other places: importing subtrees, or creating \input or \include
>> statements in the case of LaTeX export.
>>
>> Presumably this would involve a new link type (say "include") that
>> points to a file or heading. When the org file is exported, that
>> file or
>> heading would be dragged in to replace the link text. If the heading
>> be included had a special property (say "INCLUDE_AS"), the value of
>> that
>> property would be included instead of the text of the heading.
>>
>> Anyway, this is just a possibilty -- perhaps it can already be done!
>> I'd
>> be interested in hearing what people think.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Eric

> - Carsten

* Re: Re: links and ID properties
@ 2010-07-21 16:39     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-07-21 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 21, 2010, at 5:55 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Jul 14, 2010, at 7:50 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>>
>>> In addition to using org-mode for scheduling and email integration
>>> and
>>> all that, I've had great success setting up a translation
>>> environment
>>> I'm finally pleased with. I keep vocabulary items in a separate
>>> file,
>>> and then create links from vocabulary items into the actual text I'm
>>> translating.
>>>
>>> I've switched computers recently and in the process something has
>>> gone
>>> wrong with the vocab links. So far as I know, org-link-to-org-use-id
>>> has
>>> always had its default value of create-if-interactive-and-no-custom-
>>> id,
>>> but now calling org-store-link no longer creates an ID property on
>>> the
>>> target headline (there's no custom id).
>>
>> It does for me.
>>

> [...]
>

>> First of all, I suspect that maybe you are not running the version of
>> Org-mode you think you are.
>> What does M-x org-version return?
>>
>> Second, you can try to recreate the file that links IDs to files.
>> Just load
>> all the relevant Org files into Emacs and then run
>>
>> M-x org-id-update-id-locations RET
>
> After tracking down that command, It seems the only problem is that I
> didn't have org-id in org-modules. I don't think I've ever had it in
> there (did it use to get loaded by default?), but adding it solved my
> problems.

I have just added and autoload for org-id-store-link.  I guess if you
use

     (setq org-link-to-org-use-id 'create-if-interactive-and-no-custom-
id)

(which is the default), then org-id should be autoloaded.

- Carsten