* special characters for HTML
@ 2011-05-19 12:55 michael holzer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: michael holzer @ 2011-05-19 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

hello,

i guess there's a simple way to do this, but i couldn't figure it out,
so i have to ask here:
i want to write german umlauts in files that are exported to html. i
know that you can write for example \auml, but when i'm using this in a
word (e.g. l\aumlstig) this fails. if i put a space behind \auml i get
the umlaut, but obviously i don't want the space there...
so how is this supposed to be done?

thanks for any help,
michael

* Re: special characters for HTML
@ 2011-05-19 19:14 ` Michael Gauland
From: Michael Gauland @ 2011-05-19 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

michael holzer <michi_holzer_news <at> gmx.at> writes:

> ...when i'm using this in a word (e.g. l\aumlstig) this fails. if i put a space
> behind \auml i get the umlaut, but obviously i don't want the space there...
> so how is this supposed to be done?

Use an empty set of braces to mark the end of the special character:

    l\auml{}stig

--Mike

* Re: special characters for HTML
@ 2011-05-19 19:17 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-05-19 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael holzer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

michael holzer <michi_holzer_news@gmx.at> writes:

> hello,
>
> i guess there's a simple way to do this, but i couldn't figure it out,
> so i have to ask here:
> i want to write german umlauts in files that are exported to html. i
> know that you can write for example \auml, but when i'm using this in a
> word (e.g. l\aumlstig) this fails. if i put a space behind \auml i get
> the umlaut, but obviously i don't want the space there...
> so how is this supposed to be done?

Put {} after the \auml if it's embbed in a word - like this:

i want to write german umlauts in files that are exported to html. i
know that you can write for example \auml, but when i'm using this in a
word (e.g. l\auml{}stig) this fails. if i put a space behind \auml i get
the umlaut, but obviously i don't want the space there...

-Bernt

@ 2011-05-20  1:31 ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2011-05-20  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael holzer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Michael

On Thursday, May 19, 2011, michael holzer <michi_holzer_news@gmx.at> wrote:
> so i have to ask here:
> i want to write german umlauts in files that are exported to html.

Why don't you just write the umlauts directly: ü

Either use the facilities of your OS, or use one of the German input
methods of Emacs. For the latter, see the docs for "C-\". For the
former, it all depends on your OS and your keyboard.

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: special characters for HTML
@ 2011-05-20  4:21   ` Ben Finney
From: Ben Finney @ 2011-05-20  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

William Henney <whenney@gmail.com> writes:

> Why don't you just write the umlauts directly: ü
>
> Either use the facilities of your OS, or use one of the German input
> methods of Emacs. For the latter, see the docs for "C-\". For the
> former, it all depends on your OS and your keyboard.

Exactly. We're in the third millennium of the calendar, folks; we have
Unicode. The way to get a character into a text document is to put it in
literally.

--
 \        “It is undesirable to believe a proposition when there is no |
  `\   ground whatever for supposing it true.” —Bertrand Russell, _The |