* Hack: org-agenda-cache.el
@ 2012-01-15 19:47 Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2012-01-15 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

As my agenda files slowly grew over the years, the speed of generating
agenda had slowly deteriorated, finally hitting the point of me jdoing
something about it. (it got to around 5-7 seconds, which kind of
interrupts work-flow)

Attached file org-agenda-cache.el is a "quick fix" solution that I
developed for myself, its more of a request for discussion and not
intended as contribution yet.

Basic idea is:

1. Multiple-agenda buffers can exist at the same time, having separate
tag filters and other such settings. This is accomplished by bunch of
org-agenda-* variables being made buffer-local.

2. Custom agenda commands should bind `org-agenda-buffer-name' variable,
so that for example C-c a generates "*Agenda*" buffer and C-c t
generates "*Todo List*" buffer.

3. org-agenda checks if buffer with `org-agenda-buffer-name' exists
and if it does, it will show that buffer, rather then re-generating
it. To generate a fresh agenda, becomes C-c a r instead of C-c a

4. org-agenda-quit buries the agenda buffer instead of killing it.

5. All of the above shenanigans can be switched on and off by doing
M-x toggle-org-agenda-caching command, its off by default so you have
to turn it on after loading the file.

I had been using this setup for last few days, and it had really been
a blast, returning me to the times when I just started with org-mode,
and information had appeared in milliseconds rather then seconds.

[-- Attachment #2: org-agenda-cache.el --]

;;; org-agenda-cache.el --- Cache agenda buffers instead of regenerating them each time

;; Cached agenda buffers
;;
;; Toggle with M-x toggle-org-agenda-caching
;;
;; If you include `org-agenda-buffer-name' into the list of bound
;; variables for a specific agenda view, then these agenda views
;; will be cached independently each in their own buffer
;;
;; Example setup:
;;
;; (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
;;       '(("a" "Agenda and NEXT (priority)"
;;          ((agenda ""
;;                   ((org-agenda-span 'day)))
;;           (tags-todo "/!NEXT"
;;                      ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Next Tasks")
;;                       (org-agenda-tags-todo-honor-ignore-options t)
;;                       (org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)
;;                       (org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines t)
;;                       (org-tags-match-list-sublevels t)
;;                       (org-agenda-sorting-strategy
;;                        '(priority-down category-keep)))))
;;          ((org-agenda-buffer-name "*Agenda*")))
;;         ("t" "TODO entries"
;;          todo ""
;;          ((org-agenda-buffer-name "*Todo List*")))))
;;
;; Note that C-c a and C-c t will use two different agenda buffers
;; that are indecent of each other, and each can have different restrictions
;; or tag filter

(defvar org-agenda-use-caching nil
  "When non-nil, org-agenda will show existing agenda buffer when
its available and org-agenda-exit will bury the agenda buffer
instead of destroying it. ")

(defun toggle-org-agenda-caching (&optional arg)
  (interactive)
  (setq org-agenda-use-caching (or arg (not org-agenda-use-caching)))
  (message "Agenda caching was %s" (if org-agenda-use-caching "enabled" "disabled")))

(defvar org-agenda-inside-org-agenda nil)
(defvar org-cached-agenda-last-prefix-arg nil)
(defvar org-this-agenda-buffer-name nil)

(dolist (var '(org-cached-agenda-last-prefix-arg
               org-this-agenda-buffer-name
               org-agenda-redo-command
               org-agenda-query-string
               org-agenda-tag-filter
               org-agenda-tag-filter-overlays
               org-agenda-category-filter
               org-agenda-columns-active
               org-agenda-marker-table
               org-agenda-markers
               org-agenda-restrict
               org-agenda-restrict-begin
               org-agenda-overriding-restriction
               org-agenda-archives-mode
               org-agenda-current-span))
  (make-variable-buffer-local var))

(defadvice org-agenda (around cached-agenda-buffer activate)
  (if org-agenda-use-caching
      (let ((org-agenda-inside-org-agenda t))
        (catch 'org-agenda-used-existing-buffer
          (setq ad-return-value ad-do-it)))
    (setq ad-return-value ad-do-it)))

(defadvice org-agenda-redo (around cached-agenda-buffer activate)
  (if org-agenda-use-caching
      (let ((org-agenda-buffer-name (or org-this-agenda-buffer-name
                                        org-agenda-buffer-name)))
        (setq ad-return-value ad-do-it))
    (setq ad-return-value ad-do-it)))

(defadvice org-prepare-agenda (around cached-agenda-buffer activate)
  (if org-agenda-use-caching
      (if (or (not org-agenda-inside-org-agenda)
              org-agenda-multi
              (not (get-buffer org-agenda-buffer-name))
              (with-current-buffer (get-buffer org-agenda-buffer-name)
                (not (equal
                      current-prefix-arg
                      org-cached-agenda-last-prefix-arg))))
          (progn
            (setq ad-return-value ad-do-it)
            (with-current-buffer (get-buffer org-agenda-buffer-name)
              (setq org-cached-agenda-last-prefix-arg current-prefix-arg)
              (setq org-this-agenda-buffer-name org-agenda-buffer-name)))
        ;; Below block cut-n-paste copied from real `org-prepare-agenda' function
        (let* ((abuf (get-buffer-create org-agenda-buffer-name))
               (awin (get-buffer-window abuf)))
          (cond
           ((equal (current-buffer) abuf) nil)
           (awin (select-window awin))
           ((not (setq org-pre-agenda-window-conf (current-window-configuration))))
           ((equal org-agenda-window-setup 'current-window)
            (org-pop-to-buffer-same-window abuf))
           ((equal org-agenda-window-setup 'other-window)
            (org-switch-to-buffer-other-window abuf))
           ((equal org-agenda-window-setup 'other-frame)
            (switch-to-buffer-other-frame abuf))
           ((equal org-agenda-window-setup 'reorganize-frame)
            (delete-other-windows)
            (org-switch-to-buffer-other-window abuf)))
          ;; additional test in case agenda is invoked from within agenda
          ;; buffer via elisp link
          (unless (equal (current-buffer) abuf)
            (org-pop-to-buffer-same-window abuf))
          ;; make org-agenda exit early
          (throw 'org-agenda-used-existing-buffer nil)))
    (setq ad-return-value ad-do-it)))

(defadvice org-agenda-quit (around cached-agenda-buffer activate)
  (if org-agenda-use-caching
      (org-agenda-bury)
    (setq ad-return-value ad-do-it)))

(defun org-agenda-bury ()
  "Restore window or frame configuration just like `org-agenda-quit' does
but bury the agenda buffer rather then killing it."
  (interactive)
  (let ((buf (current-buffer)))
    (if (eq org-agenda-window-setup 'other-frame)
        (progn
          (delete-frame))
      (and (not (eq org-agenda-window-setup 'current-window))
           (not (one-window-p))
           (delete-window)))
    (with-current-buffer buf
        (bury-buffer))))

(provide 'org-agenda-cache)

* Re: Hack: org-agenda-cache.el
@ 2012-01-16 12:18 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-01-16 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Mikhanosha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Max,

this is a pretty good solution if the main issue with slow agenda
is that it feels slow because you are often switching back and forth
between different agenda buffers.  I like it, and I would vote for
integration into Org-mode, not as a separate package, but directly,
as an option.  If Bastien agrees, maybe you could make a patch which
introduces this into the main code.

Three comments:

1. I think there needs to be a command to remove all agenda buffers, to make sure that everything is updated.  Maybe this could be "C-u r" or so, which would rebuilt the current and remove all others.  This commands needs to make sure that all markers are safely discarded - otherwise you will die the marker death eventually.

2. I don't think that "-cache" is the best name choice for this, because this
is not a caching mechanism.  It is a "multiple-agenda-buffers" thing.

3. One caveat for this is that maybe in some places, org-agenda-marker-table
is modified while the agenda buffer is not current (I am not sure, I just think this needs to be checked).  If so, one would need to pop to the relevant agenda buffer to make the change.

Just my 2c, of course.

- Carsten
On 15.1.2012, at 20:47, Max Mikhanosha wrote:

> As my agenda files slowly grew over the years, the speed of generating
> agenda had slowly deteriorated, finally hitting the point of me jdoing
> something about it. (it got to around 5-7 seconds, which kind of
> interrupts work-flow)
>
> Attached file org-agenda-cache.el is a "quick fix" solution that I
> developed for myself, its more of a request for discussion and not
> intended as contribution yet.
>
> Basic idea is:
>
> 1. Multiple-agenda buffers can exist at the same time, having separate
> tag filters and other such settings. This is accomplished by bunch of
> org-agenda-* variables being made buffer-local.
>
> 2. Custom agenda commands should bind `org-agenda-buffer-name' variable,
> so that for example C-c a generates "*Agenda*" buffer and C-c t
> generates "*Todo List*" buffer.
>
> 3. org-agenda checks if buffer with `org-agenda-buffer-name' exists
> and if it does, it will show that buffer, rather then re-generating
> it. To generate a fresh agenda, becomes C-c a r instead of C-c a
>
> 4. org-agenda-quit buries the agenda buffer instead of killing it.
>
> 5. All of the above shenanigans can be switched on and off by doing
> M-x toggle-org-agenda-caching command, its off by default so you have
> to turn it on after loading the file.
>
> I had been using this setup for last few days, and it had really been
> a blast, returning me to the times when I just started with org-mode,
> and information had appeared in milliseconds rather then seconds.
>
> <org-agenda-cache.el>

* Re: Hack: org-agenda-cache.el
@ 2012-01-16 15:40   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-01-16 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 16.1.2012, at 13:18, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi Max,
>
> this is a pretty good solution if the main issue with slow agenda
> is that it feels slow because you are often switching back and forth
> between different agenda buffers.  I like it, and I would vote for
> integration into Org-mode, not as a separate package, but directly,
> as an option.  If Bastien agrees, maybe you could make a patch which
> introduces this into the main code.
>
> Three comments:
>
> 1. I think there needs to be a command to remove all agenda buffers, to make sure that everything is updated.  Maybe this could be "C-u r" or so, which would rebuilt the current and remove all others.  This commands needs to make sure that all markers are safely discarded - otherwise you will die the marker death eventually.
>
> 2. I don't think that "-cache" is the best name choice for this, because this
> is not a caching mechanism.  It is a "multiple-agenda-buffers" thing.
>
> 3. One caveat for this is that maybe in some places, org-agenda-marker-table
> is modified while the agenda buffer is not current (I am not sure, I just think this needs to be checked).  If so, one would need to pop to the relevant agenda buffer to make the change.

Sorry, I am talking about `org-agenda-markers', and indeed, some care has to be taken here.  Basically, the function org-agenda-new-marker needs to be modified to take
a buffer as an argument, and then to push the new marker on the list of markers in that buffer.  Also, org-agenda-save-markers-in-region needs to be modified.

OK, this is a bit complicated, I am willing to help.  If you make a new patch that implements the multibuffer stuff in org-agenda, I will look at the marker issues and implement them.

- Carsten

> Just my 2c, of course.
>
> - Carsten
> On 15.1.2012, at 20:47, Max Mikhanosha wrote:
>
>> As my agenda files slowly grew over the years, the speed of generating
>> agenda had slowly deteriorated, finally hitting the point of me jdoing
>> something about it. (it got to around 5-7 seconds, which kind of
>> interrupts work-flow)
>>
>> Attached file org-agenda-cache.el is a "quick fix" solution that I
>> developed for myself, its more of a request for discussion and not
>> intended as contribution yet.
>>
>> Basic idea is:
>>
>> 1. Multiple-agenda buffers can exist at the same time, having separate
>> tag filters and other such settings. This is accomplished by bunch of
>> org-agenda-* variables being made buffer-local.
>>
>> 2. Custom agenda commands should bind `org-agenda-buffer-name' variable,
>> so that for example C-c a generates "*Agenda*" buffer and C-c t
>> generates "*Todo List*" buffer.
>>
>> 3. org-agenda checks if buffer with `org-agenda-buffer-name' exists
>> and if it does, it will show that buffer, rather then re-generating
>> it. To generate a fresh agenda, becomes C-c a r instead of C-c a
>>
>> 4. org-agenda-quit buries the agenda buffer instead of killing it.
>>
>> 5. All of the above shenanigans can be switched on and off by doing
>> M-x toggle-org-agenda-caching command, its off by default so you have
>> to turn it on after loading the file.
>>
>> I had been using this setup for last few days, and it had really been
>> a blast, returning me to the times when I just started with org-mode,
>> and information had appeared in milliseconds rather then seconds.
>>
>> <org-agenda-cache.el>

* Re: Hack: org-agenda-cache.el
@ 2012-01-16 16:31     ` Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2012-01-16 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Carsten Dominik

Hi Carsten,

At Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:40:01 +0100,
Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On 16.1.2012, at 13:18, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>
> Sorry, I am talking about `org-agenda-markers', and indeed, some
> care has to be taken here.  Basically, the function
> org-agenda-new-marker needs to be modified to take a buffer as an
> argument, and then to push the new marker on the list of markers in
> that buffer.  Also, org-agenda-save-markers-in-region needs to be
> modified.
>
> OK, this is a bit complicated, I am willing to help.  If you make a
> new patch that implements the multibuffer stuff in org-agenda, I
> will look at the marker issues and implement them.

Cool, I'll redo it and submit a patch in the next few days. The plan
is:

  - Multi-buffer support (ie buffer-local vars) goes in
    unconditionally, since I think there is no way to undo making
    variable buffer local, and if there is, it would make toggling on/off
    function really complicated.

    About the markers, what about if I call to clean them up
    kill-buffer-hook? This will work even if user kills the buffer
    manually, not just on q key.

  - The "use existing buffer, and bury on quit" toggle needs a new
    name org-agenda-reuse-buffers? Wanderlust has a similar mechanism
    and its called "sticky summary buffers", so maybe
    org-agenda-buffer-sticky?

  - The C-u r that you suggested to kill all buffers is already taken
    by "reload with a
    search string", so I think for cleanup bindings could be:

    q          -> kill buffer or bury if enabled
    Q          -> always kill
    C-u Q      -> kill all agenda buffers (ie cleanup)

    Now that I'm thinking it also needs to keep track of all agenda
    buffers, so need a global list. The kill-buffer hook should work
    there too.

Regards,
  Max

* Re: Hack: org-agenda-cache.el
@ 2012-01-16 21:48       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-01-16 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Mikhanosha; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 16.1.2012, at 17:31, Max Mikhanosha wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> At Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:40:01 +0100,
> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>> On 16.1.2012, at 13:18, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, I am talking about `org-agenda-markers', and indeed, some
>> care has to be taken here.  Basically, the function
>> org-agenda-new-marker needs to be modified to take a buffer as an
>> argument, and then to push the new marker on the list of markers in
>> that buffer.  Also, org-agenda-save-markers-in-region needs to be
>> modified.
>>
>> OK, this is a bit complicated, I am willing to help.  If you make a
>> new patch that implements the multibuffer stuff in org-agenda, I
>> will look at the marker issues and implement them.
>
> Cool, I'll redo it and submit a patch in the next few days. The plan
> is:
>
>  - Multi-buffer support (ie buffer-local vars) goes in
>    unconditionally, since I think there is no way to undo making
>    variable buffer local, and if there is, it would make toggling on/off
>    function really complicated.

Not really, there is `kill-local-variable'.  But I agree, not big
reason to make it possible to turn it off.

>    About the markers, what about if I call to clean them up
>    kill-buffer-hook? This will work even if user kills the buffer
>    manually, not just on q key.

Sounds good, make sure to add to the kill-buffer-hook *locally*,
using org-add-hook (for XEmacs compatibility).

>  - The "use existing buffer, and bury on quit" toggle needs a new
>    name org-agenda-reuse-buffers? Wanderlust has a similar mechanism
>    and its called "sticky summary buffers", so maybe
>    org-agenda-buffer-sticky?

Sounds good to me.

>  - The C-u r that you suggested to kill all buffers is already taken
>    by "reload with a
>    search string", so I think for cleanup bindings could be:
>
>    q          -> kill buffer or bury if enabled
>    Q          -> always kill
>    C-u Q      -> kill all agenda buffers (ie cleanup)

Jup.

>    Now that I'm thinking it also needs to keep track of all agenda
>    buffers, so need a global list. The kill-buffer hook should work
>    there too.

You can also loop over all buffers and find the ones which
are in org-agenda-mode.  This is a bit easier than keeping
track of them.

Regards

- Carsten