* C-c ' prepends , to shell comment lines
@ 2008-10-04 14:17 Womick, Don
From: Womick, Don @ 2008-10-04 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

After running C-c ' (apostrophe) on a shell script between #+BEGIN_SRC
and #+END_SRC tags and returning to the org file using C-c ' again,
comments in the script have a , (comma) prepended.

If I have

#+BEGIN_SRC shell-script

#! /bin/bash

# some comments here... they'll be preceded by commas after C-c '
editing

#

ls

cat myfile # inline comment here, isn't affected

#+END_SRC

and do C-c ' to pull it into an edit buffer, then C-c ' again to go back
to the org file, the result is

#+BEGIN_SRC shell-script

,#! /bin/bash

,# some comments here... they'll be preceded by commas after C-c '
editing

,#

ls

cat myfile # inline comment here, isn't affected

#+END_SRC

Note the commas in front of each # (comment character).

This seems to happen to # characters regardless of the editing mode... I
tried a Java snippet with the same results:

Before:

#+BEGIN_SRC java

# hash comment

// java comment here

public class MyClass() {

    private String myVariable; // inline comment here

}

#+END_SRC

After:

#+BEGIN_SRC java

,# hash comment

// java comment here

public class MyClass() {

    private String myVariable; // inline comment here

}

#+END_SRC

I'm running the following:

Org-mode version 6.06b

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-08-19 on
LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

Thanks for org-mode... I've been using this amazing piece of software
almost as long as I've been using Emacs (a couple of years now).

Regards,

Don Womick

* Re: C-c ' prepends , to shell comment lines
@ 2008-10-05  9:05 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-05  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Womick, Don; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Don,

this is on purpose.  Putting a comma in front of such lines makes sure
Org does not consider them as special, for example when searching for
in-buffer options like #+STARTUP.  The same thing happens for lines
startin with a star, which Org could mistake for an outline heading.
The parsers for startup options and for outline structure do not waste
time on analyzing the structure of the document to distinguish lines
inside and outside code blocks.

The commas admittedly look not so good in the Emacs buffer, but they
will be stripped for editing with C-c ', and also for export.

Hope this explains it.

- Carsten

@ 2008-10-05 10:42   ` Womick, Don
From: Womick, Don @ 2008-10-05 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten, thanks. That makes sense, once you know about it.

I don't think this behavior is documented. Can you add it the manual?
Might prevent a stupid question or two... :-)

Regards,

Don

@ 2008-10-05 11:17     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-10-05 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)