From: Julius Gamanyi <julius.gb@gmail.com>
To: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>,
	Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
Cc: Bastien Guerry <bastienguerry@googlemail.com>,
	emacs-orgmode list <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Re: Produce a pdf outline using the latex outline package of the notes in org file
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 08:36:07 +0000	[thread overview]

On 7 January 2011 06:40, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2011, at 3:22 AM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>  Hi Julius,
>>
>> Julius Gamanyi <julius.gb@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>  While adding the changes to the current development code, I ran into an
>>> obstacle: I couldn't find org-install.el even with the find command; but
>>> org-install.el is part of the stable release.
>>> Is org-install.el only added before a stable release or I'm I missing
>>> something else?
>>>

>> You can create lisp/org-install.el with
>>
>> make lisp/org-install.el

Thanks, this works and now I can see org-install.el. Since org-install.el is
generated,
I think it's best if I don't change it but make sure that the autoload
comments are
picked up from org-latex-outline.el.

>>> Another question: must all the contributions be stored in the contrib
>>> directory?
>>>

>> I think only contributions from people who haven't signed the FSF papers
>> need to be limited to the contrib directory but Bastien or Carsten would
>> have a more official comment on that.
>>

> The contrib directory contains both stuff where no FSF papers
> have been signed, and also things where it has not yet been determined
> if they are generally useful and if they will be used by a significant
> number of people.  Normally such new contributions are added to
> contrib/lisp, and then moved to lisp/ once it has been decided to do so.
> So I would recommend that your initial patch puts it into contrib/lisp,
> with corresponding changes to the org-modules variable in lisp/org.el
> and in contrib/README.  And, if you like, documentation on Worg.

I'll move the patches to contrib/lisp and make the updates.

> This is how I used to handle this - the decision about
> org-latex-outline.el will of course be made by Bastien.
>
> One thing: all files in lisp/ must have names which are
> unique within the first 8 characters, due to Emacs rules
> which require unique names for, I believe, MS-DOS.
> org-latex-outline.el would not fulfill this requirement.
> Maybe org-ltxol.el or so?  Or maybe even better the code
> can eventually simply be integrated into org-latex.el?

If the outline proves useful, then integrating it with org-latex.el would be
much better.
It consists of a copy-and-paste job of the functions
(org-export-as-latex and org-export-latex-make-header) in org-latex.el. It
adds the
\end{outline} to org-export-as-latex and \begin{outline}[enumerate]
to org-export-latex-make-header while removing the table of contents.

It was the easiest thing that worked at the time but not the cleanest.

Julius