* synctex!! ...syncorg?
@ 2010-08-31 10:10 Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2010-08-31 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just discovered synctex, which lets you shift-click a point in a pdf
in Okular and find yourself back in the tex-file at the point that
corresponds with that point in the pdf =D

But now the obvious question is: does there exist a "syncorg" to
transport me back into the org-mode file to the point that corresponds
to that place in the tex-file? I assume it should be possible since
org-mode outputs these \label{sec-3.3} things...

best regards,
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

* Re: synctex!! ...syncorg?
@ 2010-08-31 10:18 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-08-31 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: synctex!! ...syncorg?
@ 2010-08-31 14:30   ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2010-08-31 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/8/31 Rainer M Krug <r.m.krug@gmail.com>:

> On 31/08/10 12:10, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just discovered synctex, which lets you shift-click a point in a pdf
>> in Okular and find yourself back in the tex-file at the point that
>> corresponds with that point in the pdf =D
>
> Now on Linux? That's great. I only knew that it worked on a mac. Could
> you (possibly off list?) provide some details (where I can find it (I am
> using Ubuntu), how I can use it, ...)

As I got several off-list questions about where to get synctex on
GNU/Linux, I might as well reply on-list ;-)

I'm running Arch Linux with TeX Live 2009.16776, and the only thing I
had to do to get synctex working was run pdflatex like this:

	pdflatex -synctex=1 foo.tex

You should also get the same effect by adding

        \synctex=1

to the preamble, or something like

        #+LaTeX_HEADER: \synctex=1

in your org-mode file. As for Ubuntu, if the TeX Live distribution
there is up-to-date (synctex was added in TeX Live 2008), I believe it
should work without any configuration necessary.

Note: if you were previously using the "pdfsync" package, you may have
to remove it from the preamble, also there was talk on the Ling-TeX
list of some programs not being able to handle file names with spaces
in them.

best regards,
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer

* Re: synctex!! ...syncorg?
@ 2010-09-02 14:35 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <p.ixiemotion@gmail.com> writes:

> But now the obvious question is: does there exist a "syncorg" to
> transport me back into the org-mode file to the point that corresponds
> to that place in the tex-file? I assume it should be possible since
> org-mode outputs these \label{sec-3.3} things...

Very dumb and stupid proof-of-nothing:

(defun bzg/search-point-in-latex-source ()
  "Switch to an Org's sister LaTeX file and find text at point."
  (interactive)
  (let ((txt (buffer-substring
	      (point) (save-excursion (forward-word 3) (point))))
	(lfn (concat (file-name-sans-extension (buffer-file-name)) ".tex")))
    (find-file-other-window lfn)
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (search-forward txt)))

But using isearch might be fast enough, isn't it?

After all, it's just text.

--
 Bastien

* Re: synctex!! ...syncorg?
@ 2010-09-02 19:50   ` Kevin Brubeck Unhammer
From: Kevin Brubeck Unhammer @ 2010-09-02 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

2010/9/2 Bastien <bastien.guerry@wikimedia.fr>:
> Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <p.ixiemotion@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But now the obvious question is: does there exist a "syncorg" to
>> transport me back into the org-mode file to the point that corresponds
>> to that place in the tex-file? I assume it should be possible since
>> org-mode outputs these \label{sec-3.3} things...
>
> Very dumb and stupid proof-of-nothing:
>
> (defun bzg/search-point-in-latex-source ()
>  "Switch to an Org's sister LaTeX file and find text at point."
>  (interactive)
>  (let ((txt (buffer-substring
>              (point) (save-excursion (forward-word 3) (point))))
>        (lfn (concat (file-name-sans-extension (buffer-file-name)) ".tex")))
>    (find-file-other-window lfn)
>    (goto-char (point-min))
>    (search-forward txt)))
>
> But using isearch might be fast enough, isn't it?
>
> After all, it's just text.

Yeah... I guess for anything truly robust, the exported tex-file would
have to be peppered with comments (alternatively output another file
with line-number correspondences).

best regards,
Kevin